Sign in to follow this  
padu

Trails bike as a training tool

While I'm recovering from my knee injury, my mind is making plans...

What do you think about using a trials bike as a tool for training balance and keeping your foot on the peg for longer?

Anybody here with trials experience?

Practicing "static balancing" is a great tool to improve your overall balance on a bike.  Trials bikes are perfect for this because they typically weigh around 150 pounds and have a very low "saddle" height.  I used to ride trials events back in the 80s on a Beta TR33, and although I never became a very good trials rider, riding a trials bike did make me into a better trail rider.  I had a Gas Gas TXT280 several years ago, but I found out that as I have aged, my knees have grown too worn out to kick start such a machine, or stand up all the time on a 25 mile loop.  Still, it would be fun to have a small displacement trials bike to practice on in small doses.

trials is brilliant . from square one to top tier. Ask folks like the Everts clan, the man himself DeCoster,  the David Knight clan, the Tarres, Jarvis, Edmondsons and now even the US MX and offroad guys are getting in. I just sold my 1992 Beta Zero 260 Jordi Tarres signature model, there is a trials bike on my agenda again after I move a couple of projects. 

This at Moto ventures in Anza for a 2021 SoCal trials event on a borrowed TXT300 Gas Gas , these modern trials bikes are way beyond the imagination of possibility. Not only all that it is just so much fun at doing moto in slow controlled movements with blasts of sheer fright!!!! I'm not sure I would ride up that on my enduro bike, it took a few go arounds and watching some of the other folks before I hit it and cleaned it on and off the other end. Also note the trials community is very welcoming even for spodes like me. Multi time US champ Geoff Aaron was there that day and actually wrenched on my bike after I broke the shifter off (being the Gas Gas USA rep he had spares to replace ). At least I have real trials boots and helmet (Alpine Stars and Airoh). And I was wearing my FahQ Racing Tee shirt for good luck!!!

188926839_10225516891978614_1192258642221804966_n.jpg

It take more dedication and coriders than you would thin. On my 3rd one and have barely put any hours it. But it's a great learning tool if doing more Enduro/ hard trail riding. 

Lessons and easy trail seat time is almost more valuable

• Like 1

@padu, I also am looking for a relatively inexpensive trials bike. Most of the top tier GS riders I know have a strong trials background.  My friend Jim (who just took 2nd place in the GS Trophy qualifier) tells me that no style of riding will make you a better trials rider.  But trials riding will make you better at every other type of riding.

Jim was at my place a couple weeks ago and couldn't stop staring at my side yard and back yard.  Said I could get all the quiet training I would ever need without ever leaving my yard.  Has me thinking about taking out the grass and moving in a few boulders and "creative landscaping".  Even though most Trials bikes are whisper quiet at idle.... would be fun to have an electric with a "clutch".  The only sound my neighbors would hear is some occasional cursing.

If anyone has an old beater lying around, I'd be interested in picking one up. Just so I can practice at home and in small areas.

15 hours ago, robertaccio said:

trials is brilliant . from square one to top tier. Ask folks like the Everts clan, the man himself DeCoster,  the David Knight clan, the Tarres, Jarvis, Edmondsons and now even the US MX and offroad guys are getting in. I just sold my 1992 Beta Zero 260 Jordi Tarres signature model, there is a trials bike on my agenda again after I move a couple of projects. 

This at Moto ventures in Anza for a 2021 SoCal trials event on a borrowed TXT300 Gas Gas , these modern trials bikes are way beyond the imagination of possibility. Not only all that it is just so much fun at doing moto in slow controlled movements with blasts of sheer fright!!!! I'm not sure I would ride up that on my enduro bike, it took a few go arounds and watching some of the other folks before I hit it and cleaned it on and off the other end. Also note the trials community is very welcoming even for spodes like me. Multi time US champ Geoff Aaron was there that day and actually wrenched on my bike after I broke the shifter off (being the Gas Gas USA rep he had spares to replace ). At least I have real trials boots and helmet (Alpine Stars and Airoh). And I was wearing my FahQ Racing Tee shirt for good luck!!!

Andre from MotoV took 3rd place at the Trophy qualifier.  I have no doubt competing in trials helped him immensely.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Zubb said:

Andre from MotoV took 3rd place at the Trophy qualifier.  I have no doubt competing in trials helped him immensely.

I saw that, I hadn't seen the LaPlante guys since the Bernie Schreiber event at Chaney Ranch, so it was good to catch up after our trials event I went over and checked in with them. We have good people in the moto community.

On 10/17/2021 at 4:32 PM, robertaccio said:

Awesome! I just made a deposit into an Epure Race edition (electric, but with real hydraulic clutch and idle electric engine). I spoke with the rep today and he rides Beta trials for a long time, and he totally converted to electric.

It should be on my hands in January. Perfect for recovering in my back yard.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Zubb said:

@padu, I also am looking for a relatively inexpensive trials bike. Most of the top tier GS riders I know have a strong trials background.  My friend Jim (who just took 2nd place in the GS Trophy qualifier) tells me that no style of riding will make you a better trials rider.  But trials riding will make you better at every other type of riding.

Jim was at my place a couple weeks ago and couldn't stop staring at my side yard and back yard.  Said I could get all the quiet training I would ever need without ever leaving my yard.  Has me thinking about taking out the grass and moving in a few boulders and "creative landscaping".  Even though most Trials bikes are whisper quiet at idle.... would be fun to have an electric with a "clutch".  The only sound my neighbors would hear is some occasional cursing.

If anyone has an old beater lying around, I'd be interested in picking one up. Just so I can practice at home and in small areas.

I saw a couple for 2-4K on facebook marketplace. I'll take mine to your house when I get it so you can try it out ;)

• Like 1

PADU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That Epure is the state of the art!!!! I need to test that thing absolutely amazing!!

You can also work on your core and balance with something as simple as a balance board google it.

Not as good as a trails...I think you meant trials..bike

;)

For me the closer reality will be to get a Gas-Gas TXT300 or another Gas Gas model (after I research and understand the other displacements) as my dealer GP is also a G-G dealer. I think it will be a 250 like this one.

On 10/20/2021 at 12:37 PM, DSM8 said:

You can also work on your core and balance with something as simple as a balance board google it.

Not as good as a trails...I think you meant trials..bike

;)

Oops, yes, trials.

I could (and probably will as well) but a man gotta have some fun (and a good medical excuse to convince the wife) 

• Like 1

On 10/19/2021 at 7:55 AM, robertaccio said:

PADU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That Epure is the state of the art!!!! I need to test that thing absolutely amazing!!

I know! I can’t wait!

I’ll let you know when it arrives and I’ll bring it to McCain so you can test drive it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, padu said:

I know! I can’t wait!

I’ll let you know when it arrives and I’ll bring it to McCain so you can test drive it. 

Check this out, it's been a while since they have been out there as a competition. 

McCain Trials 14NOV2021.jpg

If they have enduro bike class I will probably enter. run up to Tecate no other bikes for me

That's cool! Depending on my overall state I might drive there just to watch.

Thanks for the tip

On 10/23/2021 at 11:31 AM, padu said:

Thanks for the tip

I happened to out there a number of years back, when they had a real trial event. I know some of the guys so I volunteered to be a minder. I ride up/down a lot of stuff out there, but it is worth standing 10 feet away from the pros as they step up onto crazy level of rock gaps and heights. And these guys are mostly just local SoCal expert/pros. For the entire SDAR site it really is worth going to even if only spectating . 

On 10/23/2021 at 11:31 AM, padu said:

Thanks for the tip

If I My schedule allows, I’ll join you. 

1 minute ago, Zubb said:

If I My schedule allows, I’ll join you. 

Same here.   

I’ll be able to commit or not about 5 days before the event.