DSM8

Tech Day October 23rd

On 9/28/2021 at 2:45 PM, DSM8 said:

Then just show up, we can always use slav.. urr I mean help

lol....... I'll see what I can do. I have a static balancer, and Rabaconda and of course tools I could bring - makes tire changes and balancing easy peasy. 

We have a manual tire changing machine on site, and any tool needed from a screwdriver to a plasma cutter, I guarantee there is no tire I cant get off a rim.
(Caveat does the rim have to be useable afterwards?)

I would tell people to only bring specialized tools like if you have a single sided swing arm might not have the socket size needed for removal. (See plasma comment above)

1 hour ago, Wierdrider said:

I should be able to make this?

Could we rebuild the rear calipers on the WeeStrom?

Thats a bit of a crap shoot since you wont know what they look like inside till you take them apart and if you dont have everything needed to rebuild your stuck with no rear brake.
If you have the piston and all other parts (and bring a large bottle of brake fluid) it is doable but just go into this knowing the potential risk.
I can safety wire the rear brake lever so you cant  use it is need be.

😃

Or buy a used caliper online and rebuild on the bench then we can install here, if your not comfortable in the rebuild get one and come by we can take care of it ahead of time.

• Like 1

Thanks Dave, I should have everything, and I do have a used one off the bike. Do I need new washers for the brake lines?

2 minutes ago, Wierdrider said:

Thanks Dave, I should have everything, and I do have a used one off the bike. Do I need new washers for the brake lines?

yes always replace crush washers 2 b safe

Reminder in two weeks, looking to start getting some idea of head count, first post updated with IN list as I  know it now (so we know how many Dogs to bring)

DSM8, yes I'm planning on being there and meeting some of you. Should I bring anything to contribute to the grill or snacks?

I've got a bunch of plans of things to do...with limited knowledge. I'm fairly mechanically inclined,  just no experience on working on motorcycles particularly. Some of the things I've been wanting to do:

1. I've got to install new front and rear turn signals and rear brake light (w/ included fender). I have all the parts (including led switch/wiring harness) but have no idea how long it will take. The guy I bought my bike from said all the wires are still in there. The lights I bought are supposed to be plug and play (sicass).

2. I have to order parts, but perhaps front/rear disk brakes and pads. I'd like input before I purchase this stuff though as it seems there are lots of options.

3. Set the sag. I've never touched the suspension since I bought it. I know zero about all of that but intend on taking it to Suspension 101 per all the posts on here about them.

4. I also have general noobie questions about suspension, fluids, gearing, etc. that I'd like to learn about from you all.

Any or none of this that can or can't be completed isn't critical since I'll be hauling it there vs. riding it anyway, so I don't have to depend on it to get home.

Also, since I don't really have any reference point, if someone can ride it around just to see if everything feels right. Brakes, suspension, etc. or if there are any glaring, "you're going to die if you don't fix this" type things that need to be done.

I want to learn to wrench on this myself, but would appreciate some guidance on how to "sheer off my own bolts". 🙂

Anyway, looking forward to it.

Pretty sure we can help on many of those items, bring the wiring stuff with you Jaja is an expert at that stuff and can advise you.
Rotors I like EBC, same for the pads they just make good stuff.

Sag can be set while you are here and it will give an indication how far off the spring rate is for your weight.

What you have to bring depends on the number of questions your want answered correctly.

Awesome, thanks. I'll bring everything ive got and get advice/help on whatever there's time for. Excited to learn and meet some of you all on this forum.

Count me in! I haven't shown the smaller bike any love lately so I will ride it. 

On 10/13/2021 at 9:36 PM, numpty said:

I want to learn to wrench on this myself, but would appreciate some guidance on how to "sheer off my own bolts". 🙂

Anyway, looking forward to it.

Got’cha covered. Will bring the big wrench. 

Dave do you need anything special food wise-- Let me know .

9 minutes ago, kkug said:

Dave do you need anything special food wise-- Let me know .

If you want bring something to drink ill only have water here since I don’t  drink

or you can just surprise us too 

How about I bring America's most loved Doughnuts? One 12 pack.

32 minutes ago, Mr.JAJA said:

How about I bring America's most loved Doughnuts? One 12 pack.

I dont see anyone having a problem with that.

There’s gonna be donuts??

Well I do have to change the oil and do some things on our 3 bikes tomorrow, and live an hour away - But I may swing by anyway, we will see. 

1 hour ago, tntmo said:

There’s gonna be donuts??

yeah but your going to be off camping with family so do not concern yourself with if there will or will not be nuts of dough to be had.

🤡

10 minutes ago, DSM8 said:

yeah but your going to be off camping with family so do not concern yourself with if there will or will not be nuts of dough to be had.

🤡

Well Delta canceled their flight so it depends on when they are rescheduled to arrive….so maybe donuts!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tntmo said:

Well Delta canceled their flight so it depends on when they are rescheduled to arrive….so maybe donuts!

Call it what you will.

Hey Dsm8, all my bikes are running perfectly, should I still drop by? 

haha, just kidding.  My knobbie bike has a spongy front brake, so I may trailer it over. But even if I don't, it is always great to stand around and listen to the diagnostic chats about what might be wrong and how to best fix it!   Feel free to let me know if I can bring any last minute items. Thanks.

So we had a good turnout all 28 dogs were consumed and someone brought ever moat nuts of dough so we had two packages left over

dont worry the dogs got one of them off the table when I wasn’t looking

poof

gone

It was a pretty decent turnout although we only ended up really working on one bike and doing electrical on another

I do have a set of tubes heavy duty for an 1821 wheel combination they were gifted to me so if anybody wants them they could take them because I will never use heavy duty tubes so just speak up

23884FFF-D0CA-4336-B07C-054EACC10199.jpeg

0CF7092E-FE6B-4DD1-8E98-EFCD5BAEB4AF.jpeg

F9BE0A27-7F2D-4CF5-8FD5-27AD8F91BBA3.jpeg

BEB775AE-3C98-4B46-BEAC-DEB2F0D6BB48.jpeg

75D724BE-D12D-4210-8CB5-B9B11A8F7BAD.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dave, thanks for opening your home, your workshop, and sharing your expert advise.  I was great having some chats with some of the fellas I have ridden with, and starting conversations about future rides.  If you haven't already recycled those used knobbie tires (and still have some heavy duty tubes I could put in them), I will pick them up and try them.  Thanks.  Mac