numpty

Noob trailer question

On 12/9/2022 at 11:44 AM, Goofy Footer said:

@Rjg967 any more pics or updates on how your trailer setup is going? What wheel chock is that?

Yeah, been accumulating parts to extend The deck so I can fit two bikes. Sold the Chevy and currently have a Prius. Gets one MPG better while towing but actually does a bit better.

The wheel chock is from Amazon. It's what I've used on my last couple trailers. Nice and secure and fits most bikes.

I'm contemplating changing out the axle to be a bit wider and for 12" wheels and tires.

28 minutes ago, Apex2433 said:

Has anyone found a good place to find RV windows and the like?

Amazon has a good selection.  

42 minutes ago, Apex2433 said:

Has anyone found a good place to find RV windows and the like?

RV park but be very quiet not to wake the tenants when collecting the windows...

• Haha 1

just to add more food for thought. For years I had a home custom built cheap PRC foldable type 4x8 red trailer you get at harbor freight. 

I painted it to match my tow vehicle so it looked cool behind my van and made it into a fixed trailer with a 3/4 4x8 plywood top, which added alot of stiffness to the entire framework , added a nice trailer lighting kit with side lites etc, added strategically mounted moto wheel chocks , loop bolts for tie downs, built low side fence type walls and permanently attached them (stained nicely), added a frame onto the tongue section for a gas jug mount, added a set of larger diameter wheels to it as well . So the option exists with a little custom home build work to create a long-lasting inexpensive decent trailer from a (very) inexpensive folding or other simple trailer, and I finished it with a couple of cool sponsor stickers. Had some hours in it and no more than 400 bucks I would say for the trailer and all the add on custom bits. Normally it was a 2 bike facing forward in the chocks set up , but sometimes I would have 1 facing aft for carrying 3, I had and extra chock with holes already in the floor to do a quick mount for the rear facing machine. The 2 on the side I would simply strap them angled leaning out, easy peasy , 3 full sized dirt bikes, never an issue. License plate was on the back removable fence so it would never drag in the stock behind the tire position. ( no lite but never had an issue). Also as my fender mounts cracked I just removed the fenders again never an issue. 

Edited by robertaccio
  • Like 1

the chocks I used were the cheapo steel tube type, I chose the wider type to fit an 18' rear width in case of rear wheel in position.

aHR0cHM6Ly9tLm1lZGlhLWFtYXpvbi5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL0kvNTFOa2pkOTFwZkwuX0FDX1NMMTAwMF8uanBn

Economy Motorcycle Wheel Chock

Edited by robertaccio