numpty

Noob trailer question

Hi all. I'm new to this sport so I'm asking here for some advice.

I've been hauling my bike with a hitch hauler on the back of my 4runner lately. It's makes me a little nervous, but so far so good. Well, now our quiver has grown adding a couple of bikes for my kids and I"m trying to figure out how to get all three bikes to our destinations along with gear and everything to camp with as well. 4runners are surprisingly small once you put five people and a dog into it.

While a pickup is out of the question right now due to the insane prices, I've started looking into bike trailers. I like the folding ones that fit inside a garage rather than a trailer permanently in my driveway, and Kendon seems to be the one to get. That being said, $3000 isn't chump change for me right now. I've looked on craigslist, etc. and it's slim pickings for these things. Are there any good trailer sites that I'm missing as it seems there would be more used ones available than I'm finding? Even a place I can rent one if I can't get ahold of something decent in time?

I can pack my life up for a week in a backpack, but a family camping trip with three dirtbikes, potentially a couple of mountain bikes, gear, camping stuff, pop-ups and a cooler etc. seems darn near impossible. I'm hoping there is some veteran advice as I'm understanding now why toy haulers and 3/4 ton pickups are the way to go. But I need to get that lucky lottery ticket before I go down that road.

Thanks for any helpful advice you can throw my way.

I bought a cheapie trailer at Home Depot many years ago for around $300 IIRC (pic).  I have packed a whole lot of bikes and multiple fuel cans, coolers., tool boxes, etc. on it over the years, and it is amazing what having a trailer around allows you to do in addition to just carrying bikes (and somebody always wants to borrow it-half the time I can't remember who has it!).  You may check HD and see if they still have some inexpensive trailers that might work for you (my trailer was less than my Joe Hauler).

I think Carson trailer is out that way also and they make a nice trailer in my opinion.  You may look them up and see what they have to offer (I have one for my SXS and it has built in ratchet ties, so they can do some pretty cool stuff-their pricing will be a bit more than HD but they are heavier duty also).

Good luck!

Trailer.jpeg

Little Off topic but how old are your kids? My 2 girls (14/16) like to ride/camp.. they're beginners but can move around pretty good..

I got lucky a few years ago myself just before pandemic and scored a pretty good 3/4 van for cheap, I use it only on camp trips been working pretty good so far (2 little bikes inside with all the stuff and mine on a hauler), and we sleep inside or/and in tents

The trailer mentioned above is a good option I think!

20201115_162014.jpg

• Like 1

Like Bruce said,

A utility trailer is the way to go. More room than most truck beds, easier to load bikes and gear, it can be modified (axle rotate to below leaf springs replace the tiny 12" tire/wheels and replace with 13" ones '$140 on walmart.com') now you have an "overland hauler" like I do. I recommend buying the trailer at Tractor Supply Co.. I bought their smaller one for $500.00; added a sheet of plywood over the metal mesh floor, then installed some tie down eye hooks, welded two 3 foot lengths of angle iron from the tongue too the trailer (to strengthen), and finished by bolting down a $31 Plano sportsman's box over the tongue for water resistant storage. Easy peezy!

Hope this helps! I pull mine with a Subaru Forrester and I get to save $70,000.00 on a new Ford F250! 

I would send a picture of the trailer but my wife is using it in Anza Borrego State Park for the week (carried two twin beds, two large camp chairs, big EZ Up, Folding table, Gazelle 4 person tent, two huge sleeping bags, big ice chest, propane for the two burner stove etc.. you know, the basics for camping!  

I like the utility trailer idea which would be less than a van, but that's a really good idea. I have a PW50 and a TTR110 so they'd probably fit into a van without issue. I'll need to explore that some as the wife would like to avoid tents because of desert bears. Lol.

For a trailer I guess I need to determine if I can fit a trailer that's large enough for a 500 exc into my driveway. I'm guessing I need a 5x8? I like the sides on it to strap coolers, etc. down and I could probably get all 3 bikes onto it. Now to see if it would fit into my driveway and if there are any available for purchase. This looks promising but not available anywhere. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/carry-on-trailer-5-ft-x-8-ft-open-wood-floor-utility-trailer-model-:-5x8spw-gen This one already has 13" wheels too.

A PW50 and a TTR110 might just fit on something like my little plastic trailer; there is storage underneath and it carries wifey and I's beach cruisers :)

Trailgator 1.jpeg

Trailgator 2.jpeg

Thanks everyone for these good suggestions. I'll look at Ronco and that little orange thing is cool. I need to load mine too though, so its three total bikes. I'm not sure your plastic trailer will cut it. Ha.

Saw the plastic trailer at a customers house sitting up on blocks and thought it was pretty funny looking-had to have it!  Did some horse trading with him on what he owed me (I really was only interested in the bike rack stuff, but I got the whole setup for less than the racks would have cost me!).

Company that made it only did so for a little while (Trailex) and then abandoned the idea.  This one was made for the Cleveland Browns they told me, hence the funny colors.

Didn't think it would work but might get your mind working!

Numpty - I have a utility trailer to offer for sale. It is a Trailrite with new tires (including spare.) Hauled 1-4 bikes at a time with no issues. Garaged in Rancho Bernardo area. If interested in checking it out, send a PM and we'll set up a time to do so.

11 hours ago, Apex2433 said:

That's not bad for $1000 and there are a few stores with it in stock. I'm going to check out Dress4Less's trailer to see if it works, but that's looks promising if his doesn't work out. It says it has the 2x3 straight tube tongue. Is that sufficient vs. the "V" shape you typically see? I'm assuming I'll have some bumps, minor off-road with it while loaded.

10 hours ago, Bp619 said:

Lowes in Santee also has trailers for sale

Thanks BP. They look similar to what Tractor Supply carries. A lot of these places seem to reference Carry-on trailers but they only sell through authorized dealers.

For what it's worth, I have about 3,000 miles towing my harbor freight trailer with everything from a Goldwing down to my YZ 450. Works well!

I currently pull it with my 98 horsepower Chevy Spark, did a 270 mile round trip averaging 33 MPG pulling my KLR. LOL

image-dd92f798-4744-45ea-8769-cba9992a819e~2.jpg

That's awesome rjg. And actually that helps. I'm a worrier when I dont understand something, but this gives some confidence that I'm overthinking this and will be fine with many options. If I can fit enough of our gear onto a trailer so that my wife, three kids and dog can fit into one car, I should be happy. Dress4Less has been very kind with answering all of my questions and ill be looking at his in the next couple of days. While we'll still be on the ground in tents instead of a nice toy hauler with a kitchen and bathroom, it'll be family time and fun, which is the point. I'm sure I'll be gracing this forum with more noob questions as I venture into this new offroad world.

Thanks again for everyone's responses and suggestions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, numpty said:

While we'll still be on the ground in tents instead of a nice toy hauler with a kitchen and bathroom, it'll be family time and fun, which is the point.

👍

Quick update. I met Dress4Less to take a look at his trailer.

I came with just enough knowledge to know that the trailer he was offering was pretty much what I was looking for. After some pleasantries and a kind exchange with my two youngest kids, we got to the ever exciting moment of price. He said, "Well, you've been researching these, what do you want to offer?" I wasn't real sure, but thought I had a pretty good idea of what I should offer. I'm pretty straight forward and don't really try to haggle unless it's a part of the fun, so I told him what I'd be happy to pay. A short couple moments of silence and I was wondering if I had shot too low and insulted him. He didn't like my offer. Uh, oh.

Not only did he not accept my offer he added, and I hope I'm not giving away too much here, "Well, you're generous, how 'bout we cut that in half." What?

In addition I didn't have the hitch ball to pull it and he just said, "Let's make it a package deal and gave me his off of his own truck so I could take it home. He showed me how to use everything, how to maintain it, some ideas for packing it, and even gave my kids some stickers. I was blown away at his honesty and kindness. Dress4Less is a great ambassador of this sport and this forum. I'm glad I got the chance to meet him. He just said he was happy it was going to a new riding family that could put it to use. A serious "Thank you" is in order and I just wanted to share this and what he did for me and my family. You blessed us that day and I'll remember it and pay that blessing forward when my opportunity comes.

About a year ago when I joined this site, 350thumper reached out and offered me (a noob) some kind assistance right after I had introduced my myself in the introductions page.  He was my first impression of the kindness of those on this site and and it was just reinforced/confirmed with this trailer purchase. I'm impressed by the caliber of folks on here and look forward to finding some time to join on some beginner rides with some of you. No, I'm not usually this sappy and I haven't been drinking, 🤣 just wanted to share an awesome experience and give some credit to a good guy.

His only request was when I get it all loaded up and get to our next family outing that I post some pictures on here. So I'll be sure and honor that request, hopefully soon.

Thanks again.

• Like 6

Great to hear.  I also had asked about getting a trailer on this board maybe two years ago.  Uncle Champ said he had one that had flat tires, busted up lighting and a rotten deck but the price was right.  I picked it up, drank his beer and brought it home.  After a little bit of work I towed it half way across the country with zero issues.  I recently moved that trailer a few hundred miles closer to my home....it might make it back here eventually.  

Hopefully you get to take yours out and enjoy camping and riding.  It's always awesome to enjoy this sport as a family.  

On 9/13/2021 at 8:32 AM, tntmo said:

Hopefully you get to take yours out and enjoy camping and riding.  It's always awesome to enjoy this sport as a family.  

I'm looking forward to it. And I'll post pics on here once we do.

On 9/9/2021 at 4:54 AM, Rjg967 said:

For what it's worth, I have about 3,000 miles towing my harbor freight trailer with everything from a Goldwing down to my YZ 450. Works well!

I currently pull it with my 98 horsepower Chevy Spark, did a 270 mile round trip averaging 33 MPG pulling my KLR. LOL

image-dd92f798-4744-45ea-8769-cba9992a819e~2.jpg

@Rjg967 any more pics or updates on how your trailer setup is going? What wheel chock is that?

• Like 1

I've got a 3 bike trailer that has storage space. I could sell you. 

I used it with my kids.  They're grown now so I don't use it much.  It tilts up on its side to store ît on the side of a house. 

It's heavy  duty so it would easily carry three larger bikes.  It has permanent registration on it and new wheels tires with a fresh bearing repack . Pm me if interested.

• Like 1