Sign in to follow this  
dirt dame

One cool weekday at McCain 09/01/21

Now that the forests are closed for a couple of weeks, it certainly has put a crimp in my trail riding plans.  This is of course typically the hottest time of the year for any offroading, especially here in SD county.  So I have been watching the weather forecasts for McCain every day, looking for the magic low temp of the week.  For this week, it was yesterday....with a forecast high of 78.  I decided that was the day for a ride, packed up  the little two stroke, and off I went.  Not surprisingly, there were quite a few other vehicles parked out there.  It was a crowd for a week day, but with nowhere else to go right now....I guess it was to be expected.  The weather was pretty nice, with plenty of breezes all day long, although the temperature did seem to climb a tad in the afternoon.  Although it was tolerable, the temps did have me stopping in a few shade spots throughout the afternoon, to cool off a bit.  I used to be able to ride in triple digit temps without batting an eyelash, but now that I am a senior citizen, I don't seem to be able to take much in the way of heat, at least for slow singletrack at much over 80 degrees....unless I am riding in a shady forest.

So I put in a nice loop, didn't see anybody else, and had a good time....and will be watching the weather forecast for the next cool day....or will have to ride really early....or really late.  Can't wait for cold weather and rain!

Started out the morning with a rattly snakie.  He was actually out on the road, just before the first staging  area.

IMG_0349.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

51417606667_544dd21c23_o.jpg?width=1920&

Couldn't believe the temperature for the beginning of September, and close to noon.

IMG_0352.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

IMG_0353.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

Midday rest/cool down and snack stop.

51419332240_78df726249_o.jpg?width=1920&

IMG_0355.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

51418608623_5f965dc7b3_o.jpg?width=1920&

• Like 1

Double D - excellent post & pics as always! That "rattie" is particularly colorful...especially the "gold" rattle...well fed too!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dirt dame said:

Now that the forests are closed for a couple of weeks, it certainly has put a crimp in my trail riding plans.  This is of course typically the hottest time of the year for any offroading, especially here in SD county.  So I have been watching the weather forecasts for McCain every day, looking for the magic low temp of the week.  For this week, it was yesterday....with a forecast high of 78.  I decided that was the day for a ride, packed up  the little two stroke, and off I went.  Not surprisingly, there were quite a few other vehicles parked out there.  It was a crowd for a week day, but with nowhere else to go right now....I guess it was to be expected.  The weather was pretty nice, with plenty of breezes all day long, although the temperature did seem to climb a tad in the afternoon.  Although it was tolerable, the temps did have me stopping in a few shade spots throughout the afternoon, to cool off a bit.  I used to be able to ride in triple digit temps without batting an eyelash, but now that I am a senior citizen, I don't seem to be able to take much in the way of heat, at least for slow singletrack at much over 80 degrees....unless I am riding in a shady forest.

So I put in a nice loop, didn't see anybody else, and had a good time....and will be watching the weather forecast for the next cool day....or will have to ride really early....or really late.  Can't wait for cold weather and rain!

Started out the morning with a rattly snakie.  He was actually out on the road, just before the first staging  area.

IMG_0349.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

51417606667_544dd21c23_o.jpg?width=1920&

Couldn't believe the temperature for the beginning of September, and close to noon.

IMG_0352.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

IMG_0353.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

Midday rest/cool down and snack stop.

51419332240_78df726249_o.jpg?width=1920&

IMG_0355.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

51418608623_5f965dc7b3_o.jpg?width=1920&

Very nice, looks like a good time.  Is that Cottonwood Campground?

2 minutes ago, crfxer said:

Very nice, looks like a good time.  Is that Cottonwood Campground?

Yes.

.....eeeeesssh.

Indiana Jones comes to mind.   "Why did it have to be snakes"   lol

Great pics...as usual!