Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
padu

The cost of learning - 9/1/2021

Recommended Posts

I had my second 1-1 session with Sedlak Offroad School yesterday, which by the way, I highly recommend to anybody that wants to sharpen their skills. In my case, it's not even sharpening, it's building, since the first time I rode off-road on any bike was 2 months ago. Anyways, we went to Otay Mesa - that place is like Disneyland. I hope it never closes.

I had a blast and learned a few new tricks. Not without a cost though... we were riding a steep sandy hill (more like talc - very fine dust) and I let my negative vision guide me. Instead of looking at the best path and thinking "I'm going there", I looked at the rut and kept thinking "I can't go there...". You know what happens next - the bike goes there and my street tires had no chance. Down it went and broke my rearview mirror. Ordered another one and it arrives in 2 weeks. Part of the game.

But that's the thing between theory and practice. In theory, I know you have to "view positive". Forget where you can't go and focus on where you want to go, preferentially way ahead of your path. But it takes practice of ACTIVELY self policing and training path visualization.

Here's the consequence:

I also got a new 360 camera. I made a short test video from the session yesterday if you are interested.

 

 

90fcb650-9e6c-47ee-82f3-99e67c5c908a.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

very cool.  I need to take a few lessons for my adv bike.  its totally different than the 450's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice!      We all go down sooner or later.  As long as noone gets hurt...it's all good.  

 

Where on a map is that location with all those trails?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bub_Hannah said:

Nice!      We all go down sooner or later.  As long as noone gets hurt...it's all good.  

 

Where on a map is that location with all those trails?

 

 

I'll tell you if you promise not to tell too many people ;)

image.png.31976ec4163e0fdadfddd14f62ce1c62.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha ha....your secret is safe with me.   ;)     Never been to that area before.

 

I've been to these two areas (yellow)...and of course Otay Truck Trail which is a nice ride.

 

 

 

 

2021-09-03_11-49-07.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2021 at 10:11 AM, padu said:

I had my second 1-1 session with Sedlak Offroad School yesterday, which by the way, I highly recommend to anybody that wants to sharpen their skills. In my case, it's not even sharpening, it's building, since the first time I rode off-road on any bike was 2 months ago. Anyways, we went to Otay Mesa - that place is like Disneyland. I hope it never closes.

I had a blast and learned a few new tricks. Not without a cost though... we were riding a steep sandy hill (more like talc - very fine dust) and I let my negative vision guide me. Instead of looking at the best path and thinking "I'm going there", I looked at the rut and kept thinking "I can't go there...". You know what happens next - the bike goes there and my street tires had no chance. Down it went and broke my rearview mirror. Ordered another one and it arrives in 2 weeks. Part of the game.

But that's the thing between theory and practice. In theory, I know you have to "view positive". Forget where you can't go and focus on where you want to go, preferentially way ahead of your path. But it takes practice of ACTIVELY self policing and training path visualization.

Here's the consequence:

I also got a new 360 camera. I made a short test video from the session yesterday if you are interested.

 

 

90fcb650-9e6c-47ee-82f3-99e67c5c908a.jpg

@padu thanks for sharing this with us. Cool video. 
since you are determined to continue riding your bike off road (hooray) I recommend the Doubletake mirrors. They are bombproof and highly adjustable. They are 100X better than the OEM on my BMW both on and off road. 
D5DB7800-62F6-4A30-9D87-A62A89BBE084.thumb.jpeg.6473c07b265514bdf386264d94c0af81.jpeg

also I applaud you for spending a couple bucks on a coach. 
Regardless of ones passion, be it golf, tennis, surfing, motocross, Adventure bikes, anything….. YouTube is a great entertainer but people rarely progress much until a coach is standing there watching, communicating and addressing exactly what you are doing.  Which is never what we think we are doing.  
It’s an awesome feeling when you ride away from a few lessons fundamentally changed in how you ride and think.  
The big bikes are quite different than the 3, 4 and 500cc rippers and personally I find it sad that so many ‘save’ their nice liter ADV bikes for only the tamest of dirt roads.

Ride on brother!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I 2nd the recommendation of the Doubletake mirrors.    I ditched my stockers ASAP...no matter how tight I made them, they always came loose at the worst possible time off road.    The double-takes solved that issue.     I like that they come off really quick too.     Drop the bike...they just shift on impact.

 

Kelly...I still want to do W38m training one of these days....      I missed out on this year..

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2021 at 6:34 AM, Zubb said:

@padu thanks for sharing this with us. Cool video. 
since you are determined to continue riding your bike off road (hooray) I recommend the Doubletake mirrors. They are bombproof and highly adjustable. They are 100X better than the OEM on my BMW both on and off road. 
D5DB7800-62F6-4A30-9D87-A62A89BBE084.thumb.jpeg.6473c07b265514bdf386264d94c0af81.jpeg

also I applaud you for spending a couple bucks on a coach. 
Regardless of ones passion, be it golf, tennis, surfing, motocross, Adventure bikes, anything….. YouTube is a great entertainer but people rarely progress much until a coach is standing there watching, communicating and addressing exactly what you are doing.  Which is never what we think we are doing.  
It’s an awesome feeling when you ride away from a few lessons fundamentally changed in how you ride and think.  
The big bikes are quite different than the 3, 4 and 500cc rippers and personally I find it sad that so many ‘save’ their nice liter ADV bikes for only the tamest of dirt roads.

Ride on brother!

 

I love the "color" or your GS! Too bad you lose it when you wash it. But that's only more motivation to get that color again.

I thought about those rearview mirrors before, but since I use my bike for the road too, I love the blind spot detection feature, which uses some bright LEDs on the rearview mirrors. Or maybe I could make a custom LED indicator for BSD... Anyways, thanks for the hint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

11 hours ago, Bub_Hannah said:

I 2nd the recommendation of the Doubletake mirrors.    I ditched my stockers ASAP...no matter how tight I made them, they always came loose at the worst possible time off road.    The double-takes solved that issue.     I like that they come off really quick too.     Drop the bike...they just shift on impact.

 

Kelly...I still want to do W38m training one of these days....      I missed out on this year..

 

 

 

 

 

I signed up for October 30-31 in the desert (Anza-Borrego?) with Dusty. I'm seriously considering the 4 day Baja tour if there are any spots left. Have you ever done that tour? Worthwhile? I'm hoping for 80%+ or dirt and some challenging parts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome!  Looking forward to seeing you in Borrego.  The Baja tour is a GREAT track. I don’t know how close to full it is, I recommend deciding quickly though. We are pretty firm about limiting class and tour sizes.  
8307C4B8-D8B0-471D-BC44-32356ECFA2B0.thumb.jpeg.f75685cd3bbbc220fec792b3b48dec8d.jpeg

3D3609B2-2558-4116-A1D6-81C915831188.thumb.jpeg.adbc7317b604ff278520007e9a901e13.jpeg

FFCCD139-2C13-492A-8BB6-EFF2AC95A81E.thumb.jpeg.a647f1ed8d5baf2058d53dfd5a6463e5.jpegBAE21713-28D1-4091-B4B0-0833BBEFA8E8.thumb.jpeg.fdc3f4993c30dcb62b56db428ce6b899.jpegF4EC0650-12DB-4C82-85A6-8CF850D02F43.thumb.jpeg.1e5bcf8a4619849c5608d14d19a1373a.jpegF40954C3-2B31-4025-9AE3-5CBC7155C9E0.thumb.jpeg.915dd4237df65a2823768397f72b12cc.jpegE3D74A22-DBE5-4F8B-A8FA-61F8D11C28D3.thumb.jpeg.57e226246fd7eeb4c8d578e62321124b.jpegD8265F70-C3A2-4FA4-ACE3-34C2484C2BBA.thumb.jpeg.88f8cc4db29be14711d08eb10d05e3f6.jpegF2643DC5-A074-4C3B-B8D4-E327F910BCE8.jpeg.c8aae55d656446c786418f870b674c55.jpeg
You’ll endure plenty of easy to challenging miles along the way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Zubb, You da man! 😁

Can't wait to get my big red muddy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2021 at 7:54 AM, padu said:

Thanks Zubb, You da man! 😁

Can't wait to get my big red muddy

if you install bark busters Rotweiler performance has a very NICE set of mirrors that would be perfect for what you want.
Check them out.

They are the swivel away ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×