I can see why this forum is dead.  Instead of talking about alternatives to NF closures we are more worried about which sub-forum the post was in and which troll doesn't want it.  I've led hundreds of rides but relatively new to this area.  Sorry!

Thanks for posting,  I rode BLM over the weekend. It was pretty hot but glad to get seat time.  Waiting for cool weather makes me feel like a kid waiting for Xmas. I have a new ktm 300 I have been waiting on parts for 5 months.  I finally got everything the weekend they closed the forest 

On 9/8/2021 at 12:12 AM, Jlburgess said:

I can see why this forum is dead.  Instead of talking about alternatives to NF closures we are more worried about which sub-forum the post was in and which troll doesn't want it.  I've led hundreds of rides but relatively new to this area.  Sorry!

👍 ya I hear you.

. We are all human and are gonna trespass on each other tiny bit thats why it's so important for us to forgive one another.

ALTERNATIVES TO CLOSURES might be a better thread name.. thats a great topic .

Viejas grade- is a closure alternative

Orflamme- was open last time I went thru also

Pio Pico-is great for leading rides this time of year early am.

Marron rd- is a good place to find ADV action off the 94.

I can tell your passionate about leading rides, thats a great quality. I hope you get to lead a few here soon. 

We just spent four days up at Holcomb Valley Ranch, 400 private acres on the north side of Big Bear. The sites are quite pricey but rather large (1-5 acres each) and the owners are OHV friendly. It may not have been our original plan, but at least we got to go camping and spend some time on two wheels. 

LqSDQRY.jpg

GKOgNWi.jpg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Wintyfresh said:

We just spent four days up at Holcomb Valley Ranch, 400 private acres on the north side of Big Bear. The sites are quite pricey but rather large (1-5 acres each) and the owners are OHV friendly. It may not have been our original plan, but at least we got to go camping and spend some time on two wheels. 

Fresh-man! That is awesome...glad you got out!

On 9/13/2021 at 3:40 PM, Wintyfresh said:

That place looks awesome. It says you can ride your dirt bikes from the campground to the trails but not within the campground. Are there areas that would be kid friendly with a little 50 and a 110 that could be accessed from the camp sites? The Holcomb Creek Trail that they mention says it's difficult and trafficked by 4x4's. I want my newbie little ones to be able to ride somewhere easy and safe and a base camp would be great.

It is a bit of a travel and is probably still a little hot, but Ocotillo is always a great spot to teach kids (or anyone).  It is wide open, has a diverse landscape (dirt, rocks, sand, etc.) and is patrolled.  I have taught lots of kids and even my wife out there.

12 hours ago, numpty said:

That place looks awesome. It says you can ride your dirt bikes from the campground to the trails but not within the campground. Are there areas that would be kid friendly with a little 50 and a 110 that could be accessed from the camp sites? The Holcomb Creek Trail that they mention says it's difficult and trafficked by 4x4's. I want my newbie little ones to be able to ride somewhere easy and safe and a base camp would be great.

Riding on the trails in the campground is fine and there's quite a few of them (it's an old Boy Scout camp). My friends all had a blast riding our 110s around them, I suspect your kids would enjoy the same. There's also a number of OHV trails in the area (https://www.californiatrailmap.com/TrailFinder/San-Bernardino-National-Forest-Big-Bear/) which vary from gentle fire roads to pretty gnarly. 

6 hours ago, simicrintz said:

It is a bit of a travel and is probably still a little hot, but Ocotillo is always a great spot to teach kids (or anyone).  It is wide open, has a diverse landscape (dirt, rocks, sand, etc.) and is patrolled.  I have taught lots of kids and even my wife out there.

Concur Bruce! Lots of open space (various locations) for the youngsters to learn and develop! :smile_anim: 

5 hours ago, Dress4Less said:

Concur Bruce! Lots of open space (various locations) for the youngsters to learn and develop! :smile_anim: 

12 hours ago, simicrintz said:

Yes, this is on the itinerary. I took them for our first time last year and unfortunately we camped right next to blowsand hill and the sand was so deep it was hard for the little ones to have any fun. Dress4Less mentioned further east there is better hard pack for them so I think we'll try further down around Holmes Camp as the wife likes the toilets and some of the images appear to be some open areas of hard pack for the little ones.

9 hours ago, Wintyfresh said:

Riding on the trails in the campground is fine and there's quite a few of them (it's an old Boy Scout camp). My friends all had a blast riding our 110s around them, I suspect your kids would enjoy the same. There's also a number of OHV trails in the area (https://www.californiatrailmap.com/TrailFinder/San-Bernardino-National-Forest-Big-Bear/) which vary from gentle fire roads to pretty gnarly. 

Those images look beautiful. My SIL doesn't care for the desert so my BIL goes solo when we go. I think she'd love that area and be more likely to camp somewhere like that. It looks really nice.

5 hours ago, Dress4Less said:

I've filed your recommendations away for our exploration around Ocotillo. Maybe I'll have to go explore without the family in the next couple of weeks to scope out a good spot for them. 😎

Thanks everyone for the input. I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

3 hours ago, numpty said:

Yes, this is on the itinerary. I took them for our first time last year and unfortunately we camped right next to blowsand hill and the sand was so deep it was hard for the little ones to have any fun. Dress4Less mentioned further east there is better hard pack for them so I think we'll try further down around Holmes Camp as the wife likes the toilets and some of the images appear to be some open areas of hard pack for the little ones.

Those images look beautiful. My SIL doesn't care for the desert so my BIL goes solo when we go. I think she'd love that area and be more likely to camp somewhere like that. It looks really nice.

I've filed your recommendations away for our exploration around Ocotillo. Maybe I'll have to go explore without the family in the next couple of weeks to scope out a good spot for them. 😎

Thanks everyone for the input. I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

If you are going to explore ocotillo I would not mind joining you.  I would love to get some seat time on my 300

OPEN Tomorrow!

Cleveland website hasn't updated yet.  But the Angeles site calls Cleveland and others out.

image.png.72265e7c9097756bb0acf7ec0abf4c4a.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zubb said:

OPEN Tomorrow!

Cleveland website hasn't updated yet.  But the Angeles site calls Cleveland and others out.

image.png.72265e7c9097756bb0acf7ec0abf4c4a.png

Might need to do a 3'fer Thursday!! lol

A fine idea. @padu and I will go make some practice laps this afternoon. 

17 hours ago, Pokey151 said:

If you are going to explore ocotillo I would not mind joining you.  I would love to get some seat time on my 300

I'll let you know if/when I'm going to get out there. I'm pretty unfamiliar with the area though so I'm flying blind.

• Like 1