Zubb

Wanted: the perfect desert upper body armor

I have the Moose XC1 Body Armor and really like it.  Comfy, cool, fits easily under shirts and jackets.  Way better than wearing no armor.

However, one time I took a superman dive off my bike onto the dirt in it.  My lead arm (forearm, elbow) slid on the ground and the XC1 arm pad slid back up my arm and exposed it to abrasion. I got a substantial raspberry along my forearm, elbow.  I wasn't expecting that kind of exposure from that armor.  Built-in thumb loops or forearm straps would have prevented this.

Something to consider with the XC1.

Edited by Sneeker
umm, major typo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Sneeker said:

I have the Moose XC1 Body Armor and really like it.  Comfy, cool, fits easily under shits and jackets.  Way better than wearing no armor.

However, one time I took a superman dive off my bike onto the dirt in it.  My lead arm (forearm, elbow) slid on the ground and the XC1 arm pad slid back up my arm and exposed it to abrasion. I got a substantial raspberry along my forearm, elbow.  I wasn't expecting that kind of exposure from that armor.  Built-in thumb loops or forearm straps would have prevented this.

Something to consider with the XC1.

@Sneeker that never occurred to me about the forearm moving and exposing my arm...Great point.  If/when I move up, I'm defiantly going to look for the thumb holes.

In the meantime, looks like I'll take it to the seamstress (wife) and see if she can fix something up to prevent the movement.

Another vote for the Leatt AirFit line. I have the non-hybrid version.

The layers may mean it's too slow of an on and off for @Zubbs use.

The snugness means armor stays in place in a fall, as opposed to jacket based armor. If there's room for layers between you and the armor, the armor is a lot less likely to stay in place.

I usually wear a thin quick dry shirt under it for desert use with a light colored jersey over it.

For longer less intense dual sport rides, I'll wear a thin Merino base layer under it and a traditional adventure jacket without the armor over it. I can take the jacket off if the going gets slow or off roady and still have armor. The jacket also serves as some abrasion resistance for pavement.

Wearing the base layer under it and hanging it to air out means no stank issues for me.

All that said, if it's a mostly pavement ride, I'm going to be in armored perf leather (with a windbreaker stashed)and kevlar jeans.

I have been wearing this type of armor for years when in Death Valley and other very hot areas with a light colored jersery thrown over the top.

That combination have been very good for me riding in up to 117 degrees in Death Valley (that was not a planned ride btw).
The trick is NOT to only wear the black armor, but another silver or white mesh layer over that to prevent heat soak from the sun, the wind basically passes right through the armor and whatnot.

It works, my problem is finding a new one to replace my current dianese that i have had for almost 8 years now.

It's all a compromise.  The more I try to get down to 1 system, the more I feel like I need 3.

What I really need is a sponsor.  😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2