Zubb

Wanted: the perfect desert upper body armor

I’ve always been an ADV suit kind of guy. Touring through endless climate zones. Think Klim Badlands or Carlsbad jacket and pant. 
I just finished a 2 week tour to / through Colorado (BDR) with Mosko’s new Woodsman pant. I am now sold on the wearing separate armor style of clothing and protection. 
Mosko has been out of stock on the Forcefield chest protector and I haven’t found it elsewhere due to supply chain issues like many items. But I’m not sure that’s the best answer for upper body anyway. 
So I thought I’d  ping the group here as you folks have about a thousand years of combined experience!

Here’s what I have… forcefield knee armor under Mosko Woodsman pants. This works for me for touring. I am pretty sure I’ll want a Baja /Mojave/Borrego specific pant for local riding on 100* days though. 

My immediate need is for an upper armor system that fits the following Hot weather need. 
I stand and walk for hours coaching in Borrego October thru April, wearing a light long sleeve shirt, hopping on the bike occasionally to demo a ride drill. I want a quality armor vest/top that I can throw on quickly and take off quickly for short or long trail rides between the drills. Airflow is paramount. Quick easy on and off is important. I can and will usually carry an abrasion resistant shell for when it turns cool. 
I really like the Forcefield knee pads and am planning to buy them for elbows too. The chest pad I’m told is top quality and function for protection and comfort. Im thinking TekVest might be too much (heavy and bulk). 
So from the folks that have lived and ridden here most of there lives… what is your preferred system and product for upper body?

By the way, I wear a 2L water bladder at all times  All tools are on the bike though where I prefer they stay. I usually wear a Leatt neck brace as well. 

Your thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. 

I have the short sleeve version of this one and wear it under a jacket. I just ordered the long sleeve one for the added lower arm protection and to wear without a jacket on hot weather rides when little or no pavement is involved. The padding is not as substatial as the CE rated stuff, but under an armoured jacket I feel protected. It is a pullover, so idk if I'd want to be taking it on and off several times a day.

https://www.revzilla.com/dirt-bike/troy-lee-7855-long-sleeve-armored-shirt

Here is another option I was looking at. Zippered, but probably quite a bit hotter.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/knox-urbane-pro-utility-shirt?gclid=Cj0KCQjwpf2IBhDkARIsAGVo0D0cxtuA3y_nOWTCddPkmbiApVhlRYstkF3fVPbp7JaQl3W6Sp3uWE4aAqF8EALw_wcB

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Van said:

Thor Sentry XP Body Protector (2XL-3XL) has been discontinued and will not be returning

Rats-missed that!

Howdy all, In a recent post, Zubb shared the following, "use separate armor under a shell when needed" , which is the focal point to my post today. 

And, as I looked at the recent Newb Camping post pics, it was a bit unclear what the 15-ish riders were wearing for armor.  Unless Zubb has been hitting the weights quite seriously, it looked like he had some protection under his sweater, but he has also mentioned that he may be looking for other solutions in the future.  For other riders, it was not apparent whether or not they had chest protection (even though likely, and hopefully, spine/shoulder/elbow protection)

I have a few jackets, and in each one I have taken out the rubbish padding and inserted D-30 or other for more protection.

Many of us have (or have had) 2 bikes, with one being a bike that you might trailer to the desert or mountains, and the other being one you might ride from your garage to the desert or mountains.  In over simplified terms, a dual sport and/or an Adventure bike.  And, as you step into the garage to prep for a ride, whether it is to load gear into a bag, or put gear on, you may have to decide which gear will be your choice for the day.

For some of you, it may be the exact same helmet, armor, clothing, gloves and boots for either bike/ride.

Yet, for some of you,  you will reach for your dual sport gear, or your adventure gear, which are mutually exclusive (except maybe synthetic under garments), and those 2 different outfits may even be stored in entirely different cupboards.

For me, I generally don't intermix my gear much, but given a recent bif, and that I ride solo often, I may need to reconsider a more specific piece of ATGATT (all the gear, all the time). Hence, why I chose to tack on to this previously written post about upper body armor).

Even with some research, it was difficult to find the specific difference between chest armor and roost protection (normally a mx term for rocks tossed up from other riders). (although this article reads well - https://gearhonest.com/roost-deflector-vs-chest-protector/  ) hmm, maybe knowing what "street only" riders wear on a touring bikes (goldwing, FJR, R1200 , or even a cruiser like a Road King) would help to better understand choices). 

This post has some good options, but maybe there is more info I can consider from the many riders who take off from their garage with the intent to ride through dirt and rock, as well as hundreds of hiway miles, in a single outing.  I just bought a 2nd fox raptor (so one will be free of tricep and shoulder pads), but not sure if that is the answer.

Please feel free to share insights you have learned, so not only I can learn, but others who may not be attentive to the reasons and choices can gain insights as well (because frankly, nobody wants a fellow rider to have a rib injury) .  What do you wear on your adventure bike to protect rib cage, and why?  Cheers.  Mac

Just now, Zubb said:

I'm settling into the belief that I now need 3 clothing systems.  Klim Marakesh pant and jacket are on the buy list.

BMW Rally Pro suit is on the long term buy list, once they offer a color other than Black.  If this could be had now in a light color, I'd skip the Marakesh altogether.

1 hour ago, Zubb said:

once they offer a color other than Black. 

Waitaminute...

Waiting. You have info on this?

FYI, for those who may want to consider chest and rib protection.....  From what I have read recently, the tekvest seems to be the primary choice for those who have had a rib injury already, followed by a close second place choice of forcefield (which may be the one Zubb had under his sweater?) (and that folks wear that backwards for better rib protection).  But there are more choices as evident in this thread.

I had often thought about chest protection on my adventure bike (even though I always wear it on my dual sport), and have occasionally thrown on a chest roost deflector, except a couple saturdays ago, I lagged and didn't wear any armor on my chest, but I think I will wear something more substantial from now on as it isn't much fun waiting a couple weeks before you can grab a beer from the top shelf of the fridge  🤨 

Zubb, that marakesh looks like a leisure suit, maybe they have it in light blue.  :).  and I am sure that the man in black was popping off about your dis about all black attire, not that there is more info about a BMW suit. 

AND!  Next time, I will avoid practicing power slides to see if I can tell if the wheel looses traction slower when packed for camping, especially along a skinny road on the side of a cliff that might have the tire hook up and throw me straight into a boulder bigger than me!  Live and learn - cheers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have had three different brands of exoskeleton that i wear under a shirt of desert riding 

that has been my go to gor years

on some recent rides I wore the motoport jacket and that worked incredibly well

another hot weather option

15 hours ago, DSM8 said:

I have had three different brands of exoskeleton that i wear under a shirt of desert riding 

that has been my go to gor years

on some recent rides I wore the motoport jacket and that worked incredibly well

another hot weather option

Yeh I think the Motoport is probably the best of the best functionally. I just can’t get past the Oz and the Tin Man look.  I guess I’m not as mature as the calendar says I am. 
The Klim leisure suit actually looks dam- neato on Tom, but then he’s also a Sr Citizen Sports Model. 
My American size might look less svelt. Once you see the fabric you know it’s perfect for touring the southwest. Just add rain gear. And no, it is not Charger Blue, notably the worst NFL uniform color in the history of full contact sports. 

16 hours ago, MacDuncan said:

FYI, for those who may want to consider chest and rib protection.....  From what I have read recently, the tekvest seems to be the primary choice for those who have had a rib injury already, followed by a close second place choice of forcefield (which may be the one Zubb had under his sweater?) (and that folks wear that backwards for better rib protection).  But there are more choices as evident in this thread.

I had often thought about chest protection on my adventure bike (even though I always wear it on my dual sport), and have occasionally thrown on a chest roost deflector, except a couple saturdays ago, I lagged and didn't wear any armor on my chest, but I think I will wear something more substantial from now on as it isn't much fun waiting a couple weeks before you can grab a beer from the top shelf of the fridge  🤨 

Zubb, that marakesh looks like a leisure suit, maybe they have it in light blue.  :).  and I am sure that the man in black was popping off about your dis about all black attire, not that there is more info about a BMW suit. 

AND!  Next time, I will avoid practicing power slides to see if I can tell if the wheel looses traction slower when packed for camping, especially along a skinny road on the side of a cliff that might have the tire hook up and throw me straight into a boulder bigger than me!  Live and learn - cheers.

Forcefield - Yes

Christmas sweater - Nope. But that does give me an idea. 

I struggle with staying cool in armor and have found Leatt's AirFit and AirFlex lines to be a great compromise. The armor you're willing to wear is always better than the armor you left in the closet. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shutterrev said:

I rock this under a jersey, so does @moto_rph and @Porkchop - Great armor for the summer, or to be layered in for winter rides. 
Leatt 3DF AirFit Hybrid 
Zoomed in Image
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/riding-gear/leatt-3df-airfit-hybrid-body-protector-p

What does it smell like on day 2 or day 3?  Would you do a 7 day BDR tour in it?

Just now, Zubb said:

What does it smell like on day 2 or day 3?  Would you do a 7 day BDR tour in it?

This is a great question, because it was also something I worried about.
Because I wear a clean jersey over it, and regularly bathe the body under it, it's always fine... 
Zero stank, zero issues, it still looks new. I think what you can't tell is how breathy the shirt material is, it's almost 'fishnet' level breathyness. 
And now you too, know you don't need to worry about that question :)

• Agree 1

That exo type is what I have used for several multi day trips. the trick to keeping it from being STANK is soon as you get to camp I take it off and throw over the bike in such a way it will air out all night, even better if left to sit in the sun while setting up camp.
I have never had an smell issue with it and that after a number of years of use always in hot environs.

You can always febreze the crap out of it when you get home and that also helps with future use.

• Like 2

What @DSM8 said ^ is critical. After every ride, my Leatt Airfit is hanging dry until the next ride. keeps it fresh. 

53 minutes ago, Zubb said:

I have a hard rule on just such things....if you can smell it, you're not riding fast enough

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moto_rph said:

I have a hard rule on just such things....if you can smell it, you're not riding fast enough

... nailed it.

• Like 1

This is from a Noob...so I don't know if I have the correct experience to comment on this subject, but here goes:

I wanted protection as I am new to the sport of ADV - I purchased a Klim Carlsbad Jacket and Pants.  I felt it has great protection (even tested it a couple of times).  However as others have stated above, it got WAY too hot.

But I wanted the protection and it was all I had, so on it went.  The search was on - I saw all the stuff listed above Alpinestars, Leatt, Fox, etc.  My head was spinning didn't have the experience to make a good choice, so I rolled the dice

I purchased the Moose Racing XC1 Body Armor, my thought was try this $100 item and see how it works before spending $350-400, plus the armor rating in the Moose was higher then some of the others.  Turns out, it's comfortable, they say as your body warms the armor molds to that area - seemed to work.  As far a the protection working, unfortunately I tested it a couple of times and I didn't get hurt.  But then again, I don't fly down the road/trail - I'm slow.   Also, no side rib protection.

It's kind of strange to put on because of the zipper is at an angle, but it feels fine once on.  As far as the Stank factor - I have not worn it multiple day, however it is a mesh shirt.  

https://www.revzilla.com/dirt-bike/moose-racing-xc1-body-armor?sku_id=1151730 - it's on Close Out because of an updated version (didn't see the updated one at Revzilla)

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/riding-gear/moose-racing-xc1-guard-jersey-p - they say they vented the armor better to help with airflow - also went up by $10