Well,

Here goes stupidity at its finest. A while ago the wife saw a CB500x a lady was riding when we were at Lolo Hot Springs Montana , and that led to "lets look for one of those". Long story short I posted up here , Wierdrider found one in Orange County. I called, a deal was struck, a buddy of mine went and looked but did not ride it. In the morning I am leaving with a disposable suitcase, full of riding gear, to Orange County hitching or ubering , getting on this bike, and going north. Its only 1400 miles or so. It will be an adventure, and it's all Wierdriders Fault :)

Uncle C.

• Like 2

I will be available to offer assistance within a 500 mile radius of San Diego, you already used up 100 of it by starting in OC!   

Now you only have to worry about the 1000 miles on the other side.

I'm retired. You could have paid less to have me ride it home for you....😂

And I drive to Montana next week. With Camper and Jeep. And I have this Bike carrier for the front on my Truck.

DSC07618.JPG

Well I made it here Thursday afternoon. I wore the right gear for the first day, except the Klim helmet is way noisy. Made it to Bishop, for the first night. It was hot with horrendous cross winds all day. Second day my vented riding gear was a poor choice, I was freezing all day and by dark it started raining, found a hotel by 9 and was so cold I couldn't shift or think. The hotel staff filled out my registration slip for me and ordered me food to go and helped me to my room. I couldn't dial a phone and stuttered so bad I had to show them my I.D. because they couldn't understand me. The next morning I bought duct tape and taped my extra clothes to me as layers and taped a broken bike windshield I found to the front of the bike, I had it stuffed in under my coat the night before and had 5 shirts on. Third day started at 34 degrees, cold all day till I got to Lewiston about one, and started to warm up a little. Made it here by 5:30, I'm still stiff and chilly.

Lessons learned: Err on the side of warmth, always have a windshield, wear a quieter helmet, check the bike out closer and take tools in case you can't fit your foot under the shifter, ask for help before you can't.

I saw some beautiful country, met some really nice people, I will revisit some of the places I went by again, awesome adventure, just wish I could get warm.

Wierdrider would you post the pic I sent you please.

Cheers, from a chilly Uncle Champ.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Uncle Champ said:

..."second day my vented riding gear was a poor choice, I was freezing all day and by dark it started raining, found a hotel by 9 and was so cold I couldn't shift or think. The hotel staff filled out my registration slip for me and ordered me food to go and helped me to my room. I couldn't dial a phone and stuttered so bad I had to show them my I.D. because they couldn't understand me...."

Holy Guacamole' Champ! Glad you made it "ok!" Here's to hoping for more "comfortable" travels on the return leg of your adventure!

Golly Gee Champ, that sounds challenging.  What route were you on that it was so cold in Summer and no chance for a cheapy jacket from a thrift store??  Heck, one of us may have known someone on your route to help ya, or ship something for you.  Glad you are ok and recovering!  Way to go for it!

Only if you duct tape one on :)     And I tryed thrift stores none were open, I should have bought insulated Carharts somewhere. Live and learn, well sometimes that doesn't work for me.

Anyway, wife loves it , dressing warm and going riding today.

• Like 2

Well we rode around one of the local lakes today, she only dropped it once at an intersection, grrrrrr.

As to the route I came north on it was up out of LA to Bishop, then NE on 6, lots of 6000 foot peaks, stark and far between gas stops, to Boise North on the 95. I thought I would avoid frying and boredom going thru Vegas and Salt Lake. Accomplished that allright.

Great read and thanks for sharing!

since you went through my ol’ home town Lewiston ID, I presume your destination was somewhere in the Missoula region?

I’ve ridden your route quite a few times and can attest the beauty, dramatic elevation and weather changes as well as the isolation. I have a few special memories burned into my grey matter along the way. I assume you took the farmland route from Bridgeport to Winnemucca then north on 95 to Boise.
I must admit I wouldn’t want to be breaking down on an untested bike between Winnemucca and Boise. Might as well be on the dark side of the moon. One needs to purposely plan his fuel stops as well. Very few places to stop for shelter or supplies. 
There is a pretty good cluster of hot springs along 95 but I’ve never stopped at them. 

My favorite route from Boise to Lewiston is via Cambridge, Brownlee dam, Joseph, Anatone to Asotin. Easily one of the best paved Moto routes in the west. Then 12 east over Lolo is again ‘all time greatness’. 
Your experience is why I tour with a very specific layer system to accommodate the Mojave in our front yard to freezing rain and snow in the mountains the next day. 
Good on you for the fly n ride. If it was all flowers and caviar it wouldn’t be memorable right?

Thanks for sharing Champ!

^^^ oops I see you split right at Bishop. 

5 hours ago, Wierdrider said:

Sorry, just saw this. 
4BCED45E-4374-42F0-A7D3-035B5FE3295A.thumb.jpeg.0d07bb03a2d33bce4a12e53428105e24.jpeg

😁 Needs a little more Duct Tape...at least on the fly of his jeans...🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dress4Less said:

😁 Needs a little more Duct Tape...at least on the fly of his jeans...🤣

You made me look and now I can't unsee it!!!

15 hours ago, simicrintz said:

You made me look and now I can't unsee it!!!

👀 :heh: