Sign in to follow this  
KTMrad

ACTION NEEDED- New Locked Gate on Thing Valley

From my friend....
"Coming down Thing Valley Rd. from sunrise hwy found a new gate about a mile before regular gate at Fred cyn split."

Please participate in sending emails to complain about this and to find out if the signs and gate are illegal.

My friend called the Ranger office and got this response...

I talked to the Descanso Ranger District at 619 445 6235 and spoke with seasonal employee Brook.  She was very nice but is leaving in a week’s time; no telling who will replace her.  She informed me that 1) the road “open” status on the  “Forest Trail and Road Closures" page merely informs that areas available for public use are open, 2) the listing does not show that there are two gates now on that road (she was unaware of a lower or 3rd gate), 3) Thing Valley Rd is on Federal forest land and 4) the Border Patrol desired the gate be installed.

She urged that everyone here send an email to (sm.fs.descansord@usda.govsm.fs.descansord@usda.gov to express the reduction in public access.  I was told that emails have far more impact than phone calls.

IMG_0552.jpg

The Guberment doesn't work that fast. The Border Patrol probably put the request in years ago.

On ADVRider, sputnik62a forced his way around the Thing Valley Forest Service gate. No matter your thoughts on trail closures "forcing" your away around a gate will give the you know who and much answer to keep putting them up. 

Oooorrrr you can just do the Biden thing and tear it down. 

• Confused 1

We need to find out if the landowner put this gate up or not, if the gate is legal and if they went thru the proper processes in order to put up the gate and close the road.

I am traveling and no longer in San Diego,  so I hope some of you can follow thru on this.

Thanks.

I put in a call and left a message a couple days ago. I have not heard back. I will try to go up the ladder and see if we can get some answers.

Please send in emails so we can keep some pressure on the situation.

Does anyone have a formal email format to send? What i would send would probably get me locked up for 10-20.

Des anyone have an exact coordinates for the new gate? Would be helpful to include the location as well as pictures so it can be determined as authorized or not

38 minutes ago, cwadej said:

Des anyone have an exact coordinates for the new gate? Would be helpful to include the location as well as pictures so it can be determined as authorized or not

That pole fence looks like the stuff the Forest Service puts up.  I have a pretty good idea where, 32 49 08N,  116 24 24W.  Seen some work being done in that area just up the hill from there

25 minutes ago, cwadej said:

It looks to me like someone trying to copy a forestry gate

Could be....that's why we need to find out who put it up and if it's legal.

2 hours ago, cwadej said:

Can you go ride Thing Valley and get the coordinates....or someone else ?

On 8/13/2021 at 1:35 PM, cwadej said:

Here are the coordinates from my gate photo:

32°49'33.5"N 116°24'28.0"W

32.825961, -116.407778

• Like 1

Onx shows the entire road is an easement. Onx is very accurate. I'm 95% certain that gate is illegal. The property owner on the west side of the road where the gate is located (based on Shafted's GPS coordinates) is owned by Viora Family Trust. The property on the east side is owned by Gallistel Family Trust. I would assume one or both of those property owners are responsible for this BS.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Oracle said:

Onx shows the entire road is an easement. Onx is very accurate. I'm 95% certain that gate is illegal. The property owner on the west side of the road where the gate is located (based on Shafted's GPS coordinates) is owned by Viora Family Trust. The property on the east side is owned by Gallistel Family Trust. I would assume one or both of those property owners are responsible for this BS.

Nice "detective" work LB! 

the question is do you cut a single track on the left or right or on both sides..........  c'mon man...just kidding

• Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 1:31 PM, ShaftEd said:

Here are the coordinates from my gate photo:

32°49'33.5"N 116°24'28.0"W

32.825961, -116.407778

Here is the south end:

32.81823 -116.40723

Looks like he has about 1/4 mile of road gated off.

gate.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crfxer said:

This really messes up a fun little route I enjoyed

So, are you going to send an email in or call them?  We need people in numbers pursuing this. 

8 hours ago, KTMrad said:

So, are you going to send an email in or call them?  We need people in numbers pursuing this. 

I already have.  May go up to the Ranger station in Alpine after work if I can today

1 hour ago, crfxer said:

I already have.  May go up to the Ranger station in Alpine after work if I can today

Awesome...thanks for helping out and being involved!

7 hours ago, crfxer said:

If you can please call me. I hope you can make it. In person seems like the only way.

760 814 4297

4 hours ago, ADV Bum said:

If you can please call me. I hope you can make it. In person seems like the only way.

760 814 4297

Oops!  Sorry Mike!  Saw this earlier but forgot to call once I got there.