Rjg967

Trail riding (and finding limits) on KLR650

So over the last couple months I have been modifying and dialing in my 1999 KLR 650. Suspension, skid plate, engine work, and general farklery.

The motorcycle's performance has truly impressed me. Far more capable than people give it credit for. However, yesterday I found my limit. On my way home from work I decided to hit the trails outside my neighborhood in Wildomar. They range from fire roads to very technical single track.

Well, took a trail that started out easy enough but ended up turning into a very technical single track hill climb. Not the trail to be on while riding a near 400 lb bike. Ended up hitting a point where it was very loose terrain and steep, and decided to just go for it. Well I made it about 15 ft further and found the hard pack and fully looped out my bike. Luckily, I managed to get good footing and righted my bike in the air and she landed on her tires. Bent up license plate and crooked bars are a small price to pay. Did manage to ride out of there and ride home. Took a shower and made myself a nice rum drink to console my ego... Lol

IMG_20210703_140632~2.jpg

20200229_095145~2.jpg

• Like 3

The good thing about the heavier bikes (like my XR) is that they plow right through stuff (still learning how to understand the lightweight KTM as all I ever rode before that was XR's).  The bad part is that they do take a bit of man handling sometimes!

Good for you for hanging with it and getting turned around; a rum drink (I think Jimmy Buffett calls them "boat drinks") sounds like a nice reward!

27 minutes ago, simicrintz said:

The good thing about the heavier bikes (like my XR) is that they plow right through stuff (still learning how to understand the lightweight KTM as all I ever rode before that was XR's).  The bad part is that they do take a bit of man handling sometimes!

Good for you for hanging with it and getting turned around; a rum drink (I think Jimmy Buffett calls them "boat drinks") sounds like a nice reward!

Definitely right on the handling.

And yeah, grew up on the water so rum is a must. Jerry and Ginger (Sailor Jerry and Ginger beer/ale) set the mood just right.

Good stuff. Sounds like you managed the adventure good and proper. 

Two things Tom Thompson taught me about running the heavyweights. 
1- if it takes 11 horsepower to get up something, give it 13. Not 50! (I found this very disappointing). 
2- when in doubt. Park it. Walk it. Look for spots to find traction and regain momentum. Look it over going up and coming down. Then hit the red button and ride it. 

this advice takes self control. Of which I have very little. 

Nice finish with the boat drinks!

• Like 1

I tried some single track out in Corral Cyn. Rode about 200 ft and couldn't make a turn and tipped over.

Rode some of those tight trails in McCain Valley, didn't like that either, not on a KLR.

But, I can still throw it down with the best of them!

1100271528_MenglePass2.jpg.ea7e17a81fa29c752ceb80e8535c836d.jpg

• Like 2

Don't you just hate it when you put your foot down but there's nothing there?

On 7/17/2021 at 6:24 PM, tubebender said:

"But, I can still throw it down with the best of them!"

Haha...

On 7/17/2021 at 6:24 PM, tubebender said:

I tried some single track out in Corral Cyn. Rode about 200 ft and couldn't make a turn and tipped over.

Rode some of those tight trails in McCain Valley, didn't like that either, not on a KLR.

But, I can still throw it down with the best of them!

1100271528_MenglePass2.jpg.ea7e17a81fa29c752ceb80e8535c836d.jpg

Haha, well like they say; if you don't crash you're not trying hard enough. 

I went full cogent suspension and it is a game changer