Sign in to follow this  
tntmo

Iron Butt Rally

I know street riding isn't for everyone, and long distance street riding probably appeals to even fewer people but I have always been a bit impressed by the crazy mileage put down by the riders of the IBR every year.  I don't follow it religiously, but I do like to see what kind of equipment people are riding and always tend to root for the people who do things a little bit "out of the box", like I have been known to do a time or two.  This year, there is a rider on a KTM 300.  Another guy on a brand new Harley Pan America, might be a good test for that bike.  Three Yamaha Super Tenere's, only the cool guys ride those.

Anyone else here pay attention to this event?  

Untitled photo

• Like 2

I wonder what state his 2 stroke is licensed? I realized that I could not enter the IB after riding from the Mexican border to San Francisco in one gulp. My ears took a few days to begin to hear again; and my butt has still not forgiven me LOL.

Yeh, I love this stuff but don't keep up with the daily reports on the Rally.

Long-distance requires a different set of rules for comfort.  Mark, you needed good earplugs to begin with.  A better seat/pants/underwear combination always helps a LOT.

Going to the Iron Butt Assoc website you'll find plenty of links tips on LD riding.  And perhaps most importantly, LD riding in the heat.  Much is counterintuitive and you may have to personally test it to believe it.

I'll do another iron butt end of July taking a route to SLC.  Temps should be brutal, but it's all part of the next great adventure trip.

• Like 1

Just now, Zubb said:

Yeh, I love this stuff but don't keep up with the daily reports on the Rally.

Long-distance requires a different set of rules for comfort.  Mark, you needed good earplugs to begin with.  A better seat/pants/underwear combination always helps a LOT.

Going to the Iron Butt Assoc website you'll find plenty of links tips on LD riding.  And perhaps most importantly, LD riding in the heat.  Much is counterintuitive and you may have to personally test it to believe it.

I'll do another iron butt end of July taking a route to SLC.  Temps should be brutal, but it's all part of the next great adventure trip.

BTW, not to mislead anyone, I do not have any Saddle Sore certifications.  I never cared for all the paperwork.  For purpose of discussion I define an iron butt as a 1,000 mile day in under 24 hours.  It usually takes me about 16.

About 3 years ago I was supposed to go with Gary O from SDBMW.  1000 mile loop to Flagstaff for Breakfast.  All secondary roads, just enough freeway to get out of San Diego.

He did it on the new 310GS.  I think it ended being about a 23-hour ride.

I've always regretted having to pull out of the ride just before it started due to bike problems.  

• Sad 1

On 6/27/2021 at 1:19 PM, tntmo said:

I don't follow it religiously, but I do like to see what kind of equipment people are riding and always tend to root for the people who do things a little bit "out of the box", like I have been known to do a time or two.  This year, there is a rider on a KTM 300.

On a 300!!!? Now that I would like to check out. I mean it's not a super ten or anything but that definitely qualifies for oddball underdog status. Do you know where I could find some information on that guy's bike setup?

9 minutes ago, 97xr400r said:

On a 300!!!? Now that I would like to check out. I mean it's not a super ten or anything but that definitely qualifies for oddball underdog status. Do you know where I could find some information on that guy's bike setup?

A guy on another forum happened to catch him at a stop, got these pictures.

ktm.thumb.jpg.6ff05f9232d5826f563043c0ed684ac5.jpg

ktm2.thumb.jpg.ab7cc2fedb45692bb8362ee694ae3d07.jpg

And this was on the IBA website second day update:

a KTM 300 XCW-TPI. Unfortunately, this morning its rider was headed back home to Idaho because the bike was just way too tall. He had just picked up the bike from the dealer the night before after an extensive amount of work and had no saddle time on it. No amount of convincing from Mike Kneebone or Lisa Landry would change his mind and homeward he went. Local IBR entrant, Jon Kerr, who happens to own and ride two of these bikes, heard of the problem and came to the rescue. He immediately called the rider, offered to help him make the bike rideable with some suspension and custom seat changes as well as shop space at his home. In no time, Jon had him turning around to give it that good old college try. After all this IS a college town, this is the Iron Butt Rally, and the rider is Michael Boge. Michael has been in rallies by himself, with his daughter and wife in their family sidecar, and now is attempting to ride a rally on a 2-stroke KTM 300.

• Like 2

😎

Check out that long range rear fender mounted oil tank!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, ADV Bum said:

Is not the 300 a detuned 500?  Would that make it more durable?

No, it’s a two stroke machine.

4 hours ago, ADV Bum said:

Is not the 300 a detuned 500?  Would that make it more durable?

They are "night & day" in comparison...except for the brand name and the color...

On 6/27/2021 at 9:09 PM, simicrintz said:

Kinda looks like the Kug in that picture!

Ha that does look like me but no way would I try that. At this point in time - - he he! 

He's an imposter!!!!

FYI-six trips back and forth from CA to UT with a 30' cargo trailer hauling all my junk over the course of May to get moved here.  My Kug sticker protected me every mile (had a blow out on the SXS trailer but that was the only issue)!  Proudly carrying on the tradition in Hurricane, Utah!

• Like 2

https://ironbutt.com/ibr2021/Final_Standings.html

Well it looks like if you want to win the Iron Butt Rally, you need to ride a Suzuki Hayabusa.  Lots of BMW, Honda and Yamaha bikes in the top 20 with a Triumph and HD mixed in.

The lone KTM in the field (the two stroke 300) is listed as DNF as well as the Harley Pan America.  No updates to say why.  

I wonder if we can lure @tntmo into a mini ADV Scooter Endurance Rally... 250cc

Do I hear 250 miles?

Do I hear 500 miles??

• Like 1

Never throw down with Tom. He will man up and ride sh!t sideways on a unicycle if there’s a PBR and a quart of oil involved. He’ll be rolling long after I’ve run out of gas , used all my tire plugs and signed my 4th speeding ticket. 
Scooter Tom’s Saddle Rash 1000. It has a ring to it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, KTMrad said:

For Tom....

20210615_114506.jpg

That’s worth riding for!  
So the two stroke KTM and the new Pan America finished the ride, just didn’t have enough points to be considered rally finishers.

And a BMW had a final drive failure. 

I am ready for the 250cc and under rally anytime, let’s do it!

• Like 2