Vintage Veloce

Big Bear Recommendations

Well, there was covid and I've had a couple injuries and I just haven't ridden the dual sport. And now the desert is hot. I got out to Anza Borrego about 2 months ago and just got a day in before banging myself up again. I'm just about good again now. 😉

So I rebuilt the bike completely, and I'll be damned if I wait till the fall to get out on it in the desert. (Don't tell me to ride at o-dark thirty in the desert, that's not happening. I'm not an early riser).

I'm thinking Big Bear is the closest place with reasonable temperatures. I want to go for a couple days and bring my wife... so...

I'm looking for a nice place to stay. While I'm out riding my wife will want to see the lake, do easy hikes, check out the village, etc.

So we need a really nice place to stay up there. Does anyone have any recommendations for a hotel or airBnB?

Also, any good and easy 50-ish mile gps tracks? You know, jeep trail level stuff. I'll be alone and just looking for very easy dirt touring. 😉 I plan on breaking out my "California trail maps", but if anyone has any great recommendations, I'd love the track.

Depending on where you stay, I did a ride up there a while back and posted the tracks on a thread from George from Suspension 101 on his gobblers (those things are freaking awesome!).  If you can find that thread (I will try to find it and post the link also) it was a scenic ride and not difficult at all.

Did you ride that with George? He just retuned my suspension, so it would be cool to ride a route he knows and then give him my feedback....

Screenshot is much better!

I did not ride that with George; that was with a few of my usual suspects.  It was shortly after George redid my suspension and was a great run to try things out.  I rode sweep (usually do) and was able to goof off a bit in the back and got a pretty good feel for the new setup :)

Most of riding I do is up north of lake, gold mtn John bull Malcolm Smith/Redondo ridge,  white mtn and Holcomb creek are the usual hard stuff but you can find other fun stuff in that area off of Holcomb valley rd that's more mellow. 

• Like 2

Actually driving up in the AM to ride Wrightwood area tomorrow on the little bike, with the big ride in BB this weekend going to stay away from that madhouse.

• Like 1