dirt dame

Cool, rainy day on the mountain 06/23/21

Summertime, and the local trails are pretty hot right now.  I usually spend most of my riding time in the summer at the the San Bernardino mountains, especially when there's a chance that it might rain.  I keep checking the weather report for the best opportunity for this.  I didn't act on a forecast last week, and missed out, but the forecast predicted rain for Wednesday, so I had the Jeep loaded and ready to go on Tuesday night.

The mountain and the weather didn't disappoint.  I staged at my usual place at Heart Bar, and the temps were cool enough to wear a winter jersey.  I don't think the temperature ever hit 70, and probably was around mid 60s for the most part.  I also had an Acerbis packable rain jacket with me, that I ended up using for most of the ride.

Luckily, this storm didn't pack much lightning like most summer mountain storms do, so I never saw any lightning strikes on this ride.  And that was just fine by me.  Occasionally, when I stopped and cut the engine, I could hear muffled distant thunder.  Rain was hit and miss,  often just a light sprinkle, but once in a while the wind would whip up, and the sky would really let loose.  There was a little hail from time to time too.  So some spots on the route were dry, while others were quite nice, and some spots had some puddles.  I didn't come across any other riders during the course of the day, but a few 4X4s were out.  I ended up with 85 miles on the odometer, and a day that was hard to beat.

51268043740_f9bab34e1f_o.jpg?width=960&h

51267742329_69c0185deb_o.jpg?width=960&h

IMG_0277.JPG?width=960&height=720&fit=bo

IMG_0278.JPG?width=960&height=720&fit=bo

IMG_0280.JPG?width=960&height=720&fit=bo

IMG_0281.JPG?width=960&height=720&fit=bo

IMG_0283.JPG?width=960&height=720&fit=bo

51266358432_e9e141122f_o.jpg?width=960&h

• Like 1