Zubb

Let’s eat, … but where?

Like many of you, I do a lot of half day - 1 day rides on the weekends. Often these will include a lunch stop. 
I’ve been less than satisfied with the quality of some obvious choices and it occurred to me y’all would have a treasure trove of lunch spots. Great little spots to find decent food on just such occasions. 

I was inspired to start this thread by the realization that I just don’t care for El Paso anymore.

8211BF44-3C37-4EE7-8C6A-6BD5B408891C.thumb.jpeg.9d9c66074c7fe39ab383b3312de8c88a.jpeg

It’s the perfect location. Exactly the service one should expect, but the food isn’t really bad, it’s just not good (to me). Maybe I’ve spent too much time in Baja. 😂

I Like Jay’s Southern Cafe in Jacumba  but a group of 15-20 riders will be there 2 hours getting ordered and served and ate. That’s not their fault though  

Brodys is always a win, but it’s an end-of-ride stop  not a mid-ride stop.

Smoked meats tacos at Dulzera on the weekends are always a win, but pretty close to town as well.

18703262-5F37-4134-98DB-E3E2C6371721.thumb.png.b6ed37c957432c4351963d516fdcee39.png

49307CAA-6C7C-4922-AEB4-1D25354A5035.thumb.png.d7198c450fed32578bdc91acf1e1e687.png

Julian is easy with numerous options. 

The best option for me is to hop the border at Tecate and gorge on epic tacos.  As I keep an annual insurance policy it’s easy for me to do. Others, less so.  

So what’s your go-to spot?  Red Feather? The Hideout? I need some fresh ideas and then a posse to go check them out with.

I like La Casitas in Idyllwild, and I like La Paws Inn, Peppercorn Grill, BLT's and South Shore Cafe in Big Bear/Fawnskin area.  Can't go wrong with Grand Ole BBQ in Flynn Springs on the way back from any ride.  Yellow Deli is sort of an out of the way place in north county.

• Like 2

It really depends on how far your ride is.  Hyder, Alaska was about mid-ride for me a while back…if you like seafood I can definitely recommend The Bus.

97F95A63-160D-4D0C-8E33-0974973D9CFA.jpeg

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, tntmo said:

It really depends on how far your ride is.  Hyder, Alaska was about mid-ride for me a while back…if you like seafood I can definitely recommend The Bus.

97F95A63-160D-4D0C-8E33-0974973D9CFA.jpeg

Well, I lived on seafood for a decade or so. Can’t get enough. I’ll definitely put the bus on my list. Wanna go with me?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, dirt dame said:

I like La Casitas in Idyllwild, and I like La Paws Inn, Peppercorn Grill, BLT's and South Shore Cafe in Big Bear/Fawnskin area.  Can't go wrong with Grand Ole BBQ in Flynn Springs on the way back from any ride.  Yellow Deli is sort of an out of the way place in north county.

Awesome. I’ll pin these for future options. Thanks!

Red Ocotillo in Borrego makes a GREAT breakfast. It’s my morning go-to when I’m there. 

3 minutes ago, Zubb said:

Well, I lived on seafood for a decade or so. Can’t get enough. I’ll definitely put the bus on my list. Wanna go with me?

Hyder is the closest town you can ride to in Alaska…is the border open yet? 

88ABC1D7-A884-43F1-8F28-27CFB7E7E611.jpeg

Well shoot. I’ll be in Montana next week. S’pose I could pop up and look over the fence. I heard they were building a wall. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Zubb said:

Well shoot. I’ll be in Montana next week. S’pose I could pop up and look over the fence. I heard they were building a wall. 

Just came back from there will make sure to tell the locals in my neck of the woods, so if they see you in the area they will know what do.

Freds in Alpine is good for a burger....but they've been closed for months for a remodel.   I see a sign that says "now hiring".

Descanso Junction restaurant is pretty damn good in my book.

Lake Henshaw cafe - have had some fine meals here as well.

• Like 1

Julian Beer. 
Brisket Sandwich!!!  Pizza is good also. 

• Like 2

It’s a bit of a ride but Pappy and Harriets in Pioneer Town is hands down my go to spot.  Food is Excellent, it’s always busy and lots of time some band starts playing.   

• Like 1

This is awesome.  You'all have breathed a little life into my 'good spots for grub' list.

I just got back last night from great falls MT BMW MOA Rally. Was a lot of work, an absolute hoot, and good weather once you got north of the heat (meaning here to North edge of Utah).  It was the first time I've ever trailered a big bike(s).  And was dam glad to be running air conditioning through 110* heat instead.

Hope to do a RR on it even though it wasn't a real tour, more of just a moto-working vacation / last big trip with Dad.

Hopefully folks will continue to post up good food spots here as you think of them.  I'll start picking some of these as a destination for lunch stops on future group day rides.

I had 2 deaths in the family yesterday so will be out-of-pocket for about a week.  Will re-engage with the forum next week.

• Sad 1

Thanks Bruce. They say it comes in threes. And that's what the family has endured in the last 7 days.  Ugh!  I'm looking forward to a couple good day rides this month and then 10 days in Colorado riding with my son.  Ya gotta live.  Before you don't.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Zubb said:

"Ya gotta live.  Before you don't."

Ain't that the truth! 💪👍

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zubb said:

Thanks Bruce. They say it comes in threes. And that's what the family has endured in the last 7 days.  Ugh!  

Sorry to hear this Kelly, condolences to you and your family. 

• Like 1

Well Hot Dam there's a new fantastic place open in Pine Valley.

https://www.facebook.com/PineValleyHouse/

I drug 10 bikes through there last Sunday and stumbled into it by good fortune.  Probably the best burger and fries anywhere in the county.  Service is absolute tops!  Nica (owner) is super friendly and this isn't her first rodeo.  Great place.  Greatest food.  Air conditioning!!!!!!!  It's right next door to the Frosty Burger and across from Majors. 

They have live music regularly.

*Note: they typically close the kitchen at 2pm until 2:30 to reset.  They stayed open for us though as we arrived right at 2pm, all famished, all heat battled, all thirsty!  We didn't have to ask, they just offered.

454005051_MCSDpinevalleyrest.jpg.a2c248dc4d5957e1a3a9070f4ee03d29.jpg

I wish I'd thought to photo the burger plates.  You'll have to be happy with just the fries and toasted cheese sandwich.  Hand cut. Mmmmm.

895652407_Pinefries.jpg.fc69171f72815c727d1d04931868057a.jpg

• Like 1