Chief Gunner

LC8 Maintenance Day in my garage 26 June

I’ll be doing the valves and replacing the cam chain tensioners, doing an oil, spark plug and coil change out  as well and some other work on my 950 SE on Saturday the 26th of June.  I’ve got more than enough of the needed tools to handle just about any job needed on the big KTMs and I also have more shims, jets and special tools than I’ll probably ever need. I have the 950 /990 KTM shop repair manual as well.

1090/1190&1290’s welcomed too of course😉

I am confident I can do the valves and tensioners but I’m also mature enough to know that having an experienced second, third or even fourth set of eyes and people around who have done this before is a great way to make sure it’s done right. 

If you might need to get some things done on your LC8 you’ve been putting off and want to get it done we’ll turn the tunes on, fire up the grill and smoker and get to work while we plan some rides. 

I have enough room to easily get 5-6 bikes in the garage and parking for others very close by. There is a cycle gear and KTM dealership and many parts & stores nearby for needed bike essentials.

I’m in Temecula these days, right off of the 15 at Winchester Rd. ( Harveston Lake Community)  If you might be interested just shoot me a PM

Aaron

• Like 1

Hey I have an OEM air filter for a 950 if anyone wants it. Part number 60006015000. Bought it years ago and never put it on because I ended up installing a Rottweiler intake. Free to anyone that can use it. I'm located in Lakeside.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2021 at 6:16 PM, Chief Gunner said:

I’ll be doing the valves and replacing the cam chain tensioners, doing an oil, spark plug and coil change out  as well and some other work on my 950 SE on Saturday the 26th of June.  I’ve got more than enough of the needed tools to handle just about any job needed on the big KTMs and I also have more shims, jets and special tools than I’ll probably ever need. I have the 950 /990 KTM shop repair manual as well.

1090/1190&1290’s welcomed too of course😉

I am confident I can do the valves and tensioners but I’m also mature enough to know that having an experienced second, third or even fourth set of eyes and people around who have done this before is a great way to make sure it’s done right.

Chief,

I'd be very interested to stop by and see the guts of the 950. I'll keep in touch as the day gets closer. Very generous offer Thank you.

On 6/12/2021 at 10:10 AM, TexasDualler said:

Hey I have an OEM air filter for a 950 if anyone wants it. Part number 60006015000. Bought it years ago and never put it on because I ended up installing a Rottweiler intake. Free to anyone that can use it. I'm located in Lakeside.

Heck I could make use of that, need any vstrom parts?
where is lakeside?

I have my 990 (carbed now) since 07, lost track the # of times I have gone into that motor for one thing or another.

Valves are the hardest thing to do on that bike, made the water pump seem easy.
I assume you have the locking bolt, if not I can bring one up (Ill have to find it)

Thanks !  I have the cj designs locking bolt and a shim kit 😎 I did my 990 once about six years ago at 14k with some help when I was over in Spain, Its  been awhile since I dove in on an LC8. The Main  reason I’m doing it is that I don’t know when it was last done on my 950SE and I want to see if I can reduce some of the top end clatter / noise and smooth her out a little. My  Bike has 23k on it.  My 990 started sounding the same way and a valve job and a good tune up did the trick on her.

It’s not too bad once you get the air box and carbs (or efi) out of the way.  Some idiot made a video….

• Haha 1

Lol; your video is great BTW.  Chris put the Rottweiler Performance carb kit on it so it’s pretty easy getting things out of the way. I remember having to drain the coolant and disconnecting the radiator hoses to tilt it out of the way so I could change the front cylinder  spark plug and coil on my 990…it looks like I’ll have to do the same on this one too.

On a side note the shims for a harley vrod are the same size but come in 1/2 size increments if needed to get the right clearance.

I have 1 of these kits that is unopened and one I used for my 990. I Only used 1 shim on my rear exhaust right side of my 990 if I remember right 🤔

Pro X Valve Shim Kit 10.00mm OD 1.85-3.20mm for KTM 950 Adventure S 2004-2006

1. Pro X Valve Shim Kit 10.00mm OD 1.85-3.20mm for KTM 950 Adventure S 2004-2006

ProX Valve Shim Kit KTM XC4/LC4/LC8/Husaberg
  • Made using a specific heat-treatment to ensure hardness for maximum durability and less wear
  • Precision machined to match exact size
  • Inexpensive and easy replacement for expensive OEM shims
  • Kit includes 10.00mm o.d. shims in three of each size from 1.85mm to 3.20mm in .05mm increments
  • Fits newer KTM XC4/LC4/LC8 (450/530/690/990) single cam engines found on EXC/XC-W/LC4/LC8 and Husaberg machines

$74 at AOMC

jsut keep the half sizes in mind are at your local harley dealers

• Like 1