I was supposed to go ride with MacDuncan on Saturday, but his plans changed.    I thought Sunday was shot for me....but my "no fun"  responsibilities on Sunday got cancelled.... woo hoo!   So I reached out to Mike (SANRider) and we spent the day tooling around everywhere...

We did Fred Canyon (which is just a blast to ride) over to Thing Valley and then around the gate all the way to the top at Sunrise Hwy (top gate open).  Took a break, chatted with some other adventurers, then headed back down Thing Valley, but first took a little detour down an offshoot that headed into the trees.       Back down Thing Valley all the way to the 8,  Took Cameron Truck trail  which dumped us onto Buckman Springs and into Campo for another break.

From Campo,  we ran parallel to the border wall into Tecate.  Stopping midway at the railroad crossing/tunnel into Mexico for a gander.     I can't believe threre's a great big hole under the wall into Mexico like that.  There has to be some kind of electronic surveillance.

Leaving Campo we headed up toward Tecate Peak but took the cutoff trail that drops you on the 94.  

Down 94 for a couple miles. then we bypassed the gate to the "switchback" border patrol road that goes up over the mountain and drops you where Marron Valley road ends.  One of the most beautiful areas of San Diego thru this pass.

Found the lower Marron Valley gate unlocked, passed thru and then took some of the trails off the main road down to an old abandoned mine shaft.  Very cool and a little creepy.

From there we went into Sycamore Valley taking the Donahue Spur roundabout route rather than the more direct big drop route (I was too chicken for that).    Back on the 94 to home....

Had a blast and saw some things and trails I've never seen before.   Came home, showered and flat out crashed...I was spent.   I think we were gone a good 7 hours and Mike said it was about 135 miles. 

None of my darn pictures took (oddly)....but I did take some video.

• Like 2

OMG This looks perfect!!!!  Do you have GPS for this? or would you care to do it again and let me tag along on my 790?

Thank you for sharing this

Golly, so you had a great ride and left me to pull weeds in the yard Sunday -??  Dang-  haha.  Looks super, hope to ride next time.  I may even do an early ride Saturday since Zubb said Rodriguez is open and I haven't gone there.  Well done Bub and San Rider. 

11 hours ago, MacDuncan said:

Golly, so you had a great ride and left me to pull weeds in the yard Sunday -??  Dang-  haha.  Looks super, hope to ride next time.  I may even do an early ride Saturday since Zubb said Rodriguez is open and I haven't gone there.  Well done Bub and San Rider. 

Mac....my apologies for not reaching out!    It was last moment.    Check your PMs.  :)

15 hours ago, Pokey151 said:

OMG This looks perfect!!!!  Do you have GPS for this? or would you care to do it again and let me tag along on my 790?

Thank you for sharing this

Actually, I don't have GPS on this (since I don't yet have GPS).... can't decide which way in the GPS department.   So much conflicting info out there.

Check your PMs.

Thanks for sharing the vide. Thing looks wonderfully refreshing after being closed for so long. Can’t wait to ride it again.  

Re Garmin. While I haven’t personally used the XT yet, it’s the only one I would be in the market for on your beautiful bike. My son has the XT on his GSA and has been playing with it for a month or two now. All reports are that it is fantastic for riding all roads and all terrain. I think they start around $700 or so and go up.  I’ll get to play with it some inJuly when we swap bikes back and forth on the COBDR. Will report back with personal observation after. But there’s plenty of current reviews on YouTube now. 
Buy once cry once, then use the hell out of it. 

Hey Kelly.  Thanks for the comments on the Garmin XT (assuming this is the Garmin Zumo Xt)   I too read great things about it.   I think list price on them is $499....they had them on sale a couple months ago for $399....but I missed the sale.:wacko:

My only concern about the XT is there is no built in safety "tether" loop.   I see people using stick on tethers ...

I wouldn’t worry about that. You’re gonna buy the locking Touratech cradle for it anyway (more $$$$) so that sucker is never gonna fly off.  It’s what I would call a mandatory accessory. 

18 hours ago, Zubb said:

I wouldn’t worry about that. You’re gonna buy the locking Touratech cradle for it anyway (more $$$$) so that sucker is never gonna fly off.  It’s what I would call a mandatory accessory. 

Cha ching...cha ching!     I hear a cash register somewhere.  :)  LOL

...one more video.  Once again, nothing fancy, just pure riding.    This was taken between Campo and Tecate along the wall (the other part of the ride from above)

• Like 1