Vintage Veloce

questions about hitch mounted bike carrier?

I've been thinking about getting one of these... and I have questions!

And I'd love to see one mounted with a bike on it. Maybe someone has one and I could visit to see how it all works?

I'm thinking about an aluminum one, so I don't wreck my back putting it on and off the truck.

- Are the secure to drive without the bike mounted?

- do the make your headlights point at the sky?

- how is handling on curvy roads?

What truck?

I have used a heavy steel one for years without issue. Quality tie downs are a must. I use PowerTye 1.5” with dual carabiners and soft loops at the handlebars. I use 3 straps and secure my wheel to the chock with a 1” cam buckle webbing piece.

I have a good pickup truck now and put the KTM in the bed. But on some trips I've been concerned about the security of the other gear in the truck bed.

So I've been thinking about getting a SUV, like maybe a Nissan xTerra, so I could carry my gear in the truck and then hang the bike on a carrier off the back.

Contact Joe Hauler in San Marcos, great guy and he builds the best hitch carriers. 

I've got a Joe Hauler that has been upgraded with a little more structural integrity for abusive and unpredictable driving conditions 

Its just sitting there in the yard, though for some reason I'm not ready to part with it... you are welcome to check it out and or use it a few time to see if you like it before making the jump

Ping me if your interested - In Jamul

- Are the secure to drive without the bike mounted? - Yes

- do the make your headlights point at the sky? - Maybe... like Goofy asked what kind of vehicle? maybe some airbags or slight HL adjustment 

- how is handling on curvy roads? - No issues providing its secured properly and your suspension is accommodating 

Thanks Riggerman, I may take you up on that!

I do have my heart set on an aluminum one, as the steel ones will be to heavy for me to deal with.

I have a Nissan Frontier right now, but the idea would be to get an Nissan xTerra and then I'd need a carrier.

For a lighter vehicle, air bags in the rear are a good idea.  Usually cost about $100 and can be installed in an hour or two.

3 hours ago, Vintage Veloce said:

Thanks Riggerman, I may take you up on that!

I do have my heart set on an aluminum one, as the steel ones will be to heave for me to deal with.

The steel ones are not that heavy, and a lot more stout.

Found a pic of my XR on my Joe Hauler (can't find any of the KTM, which is obviously lighter).  I don't hardly notice it is back there (but then I haul a 9,000 pound trailer everyday so my opinion on weight may be a bit skewed).  I do run air bags like Tom mentioned and they were an easy install (more for my big trailer weight than for this application).

XR650.jpeg

2 hours ago, KTMrad said:

The steel ones are not that heavy, and a lot more stout.

The aluminum ones seem to be 30 - 40 pounds. The steel ones seem to be about double that. 

I'm sure the steel ones are more robust! But my back will be much happier with an aluminum one.

10 hours ago, Vintage Veloce said:

The aluminum ones seem to be 30 - 40 pounds. The steel ones seem to be about double that. 

I'm sure the steel ones are more robust! But my back will be much happier with an aluminum one.

I'm like you. I went with an aluminum one that I've used for a few years now with no problems. When I was using it on my old 4Runner it definitely sagged the rear down and made the front end feel light. I'm now using it with a newer Honda Ridgeline and with that suspension it rides and drives just fine. Be sure and use some kind of anti-sway bracket - that makes a big difference.

I thought I would like the Ultimate MX hauler and I got an old one from a guy but it was way too heavy to lug around and the securing set-up made me nervous.

I have been using a Joehauler for 14 years now, mostly on the back of my Jeep.  I'm pretty sure, that while it  is heavy, that it doesn't weigh 80 pounds, or else I wouldn't be able to have removed it and put it back on all by myself.  These days, I am of course getting old, so I generally leave it on the Jeep, and if I have to remove it for any reason, I just have a little dolly  that slides right under it and supports it, so I can pull it loose and roll it around.

46252094314_80900930d2_o.jpg?width=1920&

• Like 1

dirt dame, how does that short jeep handle with the bike on the back? I had been considering a jeep and then got nervous about using a carrier with it...

Van, that Black Widow that you linked to is the one I am considering.

11 minutes ago, Vintage Veloce said:

dirt dame, how does that short jeep handle with the bike on the back? I had been considering a jeep and then got nervous about using a carrier with it...

The front end sits a little high, and at first, I didn't like how twitchy the steering felt, but after a while I got used to it, and I don't even notice it after all  these years.  I am still able to to drive like a maniac when I go up the curvy grade to get to my staging spot on the mountain, near Big Bear.:crazy:

(make sure to tie the front wheel in place, though)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vintage Veloce said:

Black Widow

That's the same one I use - like it alot.

• Like 1

I have 3 in Ramona,  one aluminum you can try. 

3 minutes ago, Mr.JAJA said:

I have 3 in Ramona,  one aluminum you can try. 

Three? How does that work? 😉

56 minutes ago, Vintage Veloce said:

Three? How does that work? 😉

One Heavy duty, one with a carrier on and a lightweight. what ever i do, just have the right tool for the right JOB. And I don't have the dragging problem.

P1030942.JPG

• Like 2