Zubb

California Trail Maps install trouble

Grrrrr! I hate it when this happens.

Based on generally positive reviews here, I bought the maps with lifetime upgrades.  Watched all the vids from CATM on YouTube. I can't get the maps to be recognized by MapInstall or MapManager.  "no unlocked maps found" is the response on my desktop.

I haven't received any email response to my question from CATM so am reaching out to my moto family here.

I have an Apple desktop running the latest OS. This is where the problem starts.  If I can get past this, then I'll load it to the Garmin NavV (similar to Garmin Zumo).

Can anyone using CATM give me a walk through on what I'm missing here?

Interesting as I’ve never had an issue with CA TrailMaps and used it flawlessly on the CABDR. I also run Mac

I assume you’re using Garmin Basecamp on your Mac and the zip files containing the maps are open to expose the files?

Yes and yes. When I double click on any of the 3 map files, the map installer opens and 
 says ‘no unlocked maps found’. So I can’t open them to get it to Basecamp. 

Hey Zubb

Did you download Mapinstall and Map manager For Mac?  Your file list shows only Mapinstall. The Garmin site warns that the software does not work unless you own a version of Garmin maps. Also, did you select a version of CalTrail before trying to load? Instructions suggest you load maps one at a time. I just loaded to a Windows 10 unit and I believe it automatically dumped into BaseCamp.  I don’t remember any issues with my Mac, but that was years ago. I believe CTM automatically finds BC.

Good Luck.

After the first failure, I uninstalled MapInstall and Map manager for Mac.  then clicked the install (for Mac) button on Garmens site to insure I had the latest greatest version.

Uninstalled the CTM files, reinstalled per instructions on CTM site.  When I click the map file (any of the 3 files) MapInstall and MapManager pop up with the "no compatible maps" window.

I emailed CTM Friday.  Hopefully will get a response today Monday.

Is the failure in uploading the maps to Garmin Basecamp or are you trying to go direct to your device?

I highly recommend CTM on Basecamp for route planning.

I believe I sent the maps from Basecamp to my Garmin GPS units

If you need the maps sent to your GPS and still cannot get it sorted, I can do it from my laptop. Since you are a paying customer I believe this to be ethical

Failure is getting the map file to basecamp. 
I also tried loading directly to garmen unit but that went nowhere. 
step 1 is to click on the downloaded map file then map installer opens to get it to basecamp. Map installer don’t like it. 

Map Manager loads into BaseCamp.

Per CTM

1. Garmin MapManager is used to load map into your Mac.  BaseCamp is used to view the map in BaseCamp.

A. Download and install MapInstall and MapManager for Mac

B Download the Mac version of the CTM

C. Double click on the downloaded map file CalifTrailMap.gmapi

D. MapManager launches and the map installation box appears.

E. Click Install

F. Repeat steps 5 thru 7 for CalTM Topo.gmapi.

G. The maps are now installed on your Mac for use with MapInstall or BaseCamp.

3 hours ago, Bagstr said:

Map Manager loads into BaseCamp.

Per CTM

1. Garmin MapManager is used to load map into your Mac.  BaseCamp is used to view the map in BaseCamp.

A. Download and install MapInstall and MapManager for Mac

B Download the Mac version of the CTM

C. Double click on the downloaded map file CalifTrailMap.gmapi

D. MapManager launches and the map installation box appears.

E. Click Install

F. Repeat steps 5 thru 7 for CalTM Topo.gmapi.

G. The maps are now installed on your Mac for use with MapInstall or BaseCamp.

Exactly.

It's all good up until D->E

The Map Mgr launches but does not find any unlocked maps, therefore E is not possible.  Wait .  .  .  .  . This just in.

response just landed from CTM.  I will attempt his workaround and report back.

• Confused 1

Hey Kelly.   Picked up a Garmin Zumo recently.   Upon reading this thread, I purchased the maps...got a confirmation from Paypal....but never received my download link.  Checked SPAM folder, nothing there either.   I also used his "resend" download link a number of times with no luck.  Interestingly...days later, it now says my email is not recognized.     I reached out to the site owner via the contact page but have not heard back.  How long did it take for him to get back to you?     I'm wondering how long to wait before I initiate a dispute of the charge due to nothing received.

Took a couple business days. I had to abandon this little project due to extensive travel. I hope to resume later this week. Let me know if you have success. 

Bummer you guys are having issues. I recently got an update email and CTM has continued it's expansion of trails / offered a new regional download. I've had nothing but success and seamless navigating around the southern half of the state. I was always on a CTM trail while riding CABDR South.

@Bub_Hannah I see he has a facebook link on his page, did you try that?

I'm not sure what advise to provide, as simply copying the map file of your liking to the Garmin via the apps, or drag and drop then activating within the Garmin has always worked on my end. As for the licensing, issue Lee may have to get back to you on that, or just make sure you downloaded the appropriate files, as he has them separated by device type. I've been using the CaliforniaTrailmaps for years with no issues, on Garmins, iPhones and iPads, also Lee is a huge supporter of the entire off-road community, and usually pretty good at responding.

Edited to add: Just a side thought, It may not work but maybe also try other browsers for the download link sending, it's possible with modern ad blockers, filters, etc or certain browser build updates that the send email link might not be working properly, I would try other browsers and maybe see if you get that email. 

Best,

Nick 

Thanks for the input guys. 

1.) Facebook -  I am actually not on Facebook.  :)

2.) I just tried the "resend" link on his site using a different browser (Chrome and Edge)..same result as FF,  it is no longer recognizing my email address.

The weird thing is, it did recognize my email address the 1st 24 hours because I tried a number of times to get it to resend...with no luck.

I do have a PayPal confirmation and funds were drawn from my CC.

I'm sure Lee is a good guy based on all the feedback...I'm sure this is just a tech issue....  perhaps he's not receiving my incoming emails either.

There is not phone contact....I guess I understand why....you'd have no peace.

Not sure what else to do...    I leave the charge dispute as a last recourse.

• Like 1

Have you tried downloading the California trail map app on your phone? Maybe that would be a good test of your purchase status. 

43 minutes ago, 97xr400r said:

Have you tried downloading the California trail map app on your phone? Maybe that would be a good test of your purchase status. 

The problem is, it's no longer recognizing my email address (which is tied to my Paypal account and payment confirmation)    The App tells me the same thing...email not found.    

Update:    Success!!!  I reached out to Lee using another email address and gave him all my purchase information.  He responded within minutes.  Turns out he was receiving all of the auto resend requests I made and the emails I sent him using my original email asking for help....I just wasn't receiving his emails.   First time this has ever happened to me with my cox email.   Bizarre...

Downloaded Garmin for Windows with no issues,  and installed on the Xumo.   Pretty kewl stuff!   Can't wait to try it out in the field.

Thanks folks!    (I may be back with other questions...he he)

I love new toys...

• Like 1

Awesome. Maybe we can meet up a little early Sunday so I can see it on the XT?

8:15 / 8:30ish at Sheldons.  Kick stands up at 9.

All right CATM pros.  I've played around with the maps for a while.

On my Zumo XT....I'm not sure what the 3 CATM files provide.   If I enable them, I don't really see anything different than without them being enabled.

One thing I found out...  if enabled the CATM Topo and standard CATM map disables audible turn by turn instructions on surface/regular streets.     The CATM Transparent does not.

Anyone know what the 3 different files do on the Garmin?

Still confused on what I'm doing wrong.  I've looked thru Lees site for information and asked around on the message boards out there.

Here is what I see If I turn on the three CATM maps one at a time on ZUMO XT (this with all Garmin provided maps turned off)

CATM Topo - I see topography... some  dirt roads, but no color coded trails
CATM Trail Map - I see color coded areas (land ownership), some dirt roads, but no color coded trails.
CATM Transparent Trail Map - I see only major routes (no surface streets, dirt roads or color coded trails"

Turning on all three at the same time, I see no color coded land ownership map anymore. Still no color coded trails...only some dirt roads.
Turning off the CATM Topo map, the color coded land map ownership map is visible again, but still no color coded trails ...only see some dirt roads.

Am I doing some thing wrong, some wrong setting?