Sign in to follow this  
Rjg967

1st gen KLR650 tank slapper at 80

So I recently installed the full cogent front and rear suspension dialed in for my weight, fresh oil and a fresh new desert IT. I now get head shake at 80 MPH while on the road. It didn't do it before with the shinko.

I thought maybe headset bearings but they are tight and have no play. I'm currently running 28 PSI, may try it at 24 like I ran previously.

Just wondering if anyone else ran into this while running the maxxis desert it.

Thank you

Check your sag.  I bet the new rear shock is making it sink bug, also lower the forks to help

• Like 1

what pokey said, chassis balance first, proper sag. wheel balance, steering bearing (no clicks or detents), chain stretch (tight spots). good work on working the beast to make it better.

• Like 1

🛴The only way I know to get a KLR up to 80mph is to put it in neutral and have your buddy on his GS stick his foot on your left pannier and roll the gas on.  Works a treat except for the expected headshake at 80.

🙊 (dang it.  my darn tongue got loose again)

... I'm sorry.

forgive me? 🙏

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zubb said:

🛴The only way I know to get a KLR up to 80mph is to put it in neutral and have your buddy on his GS stick his foot on your left pannier and roll the gas on.  Works a treat except for the expected headshake at 80.

🙊 (dang it.  my darn tongue got loose again)

Make it a 685 with exhaust and carburetor correction and it'll do it fairly easily. Before the tire I had it up to 98 before I backed off. LOL

5 hours ago, robertaccio said:

what pokey said, chassis balance first, proper sag. wheel balance, steering bearing (no clicks or detents), chain stretch (tight spots). good work on working the beast to make it better.

So because I plan on doing mostly dirt with this I didn't have the wheels balanced. I am used to a motocross bike with beadlocks.

As far as the rest of it, it is in good shape.

And thank you, despite its reputation I'm actually pleasantly surprised with the bike. By addressing these key components it's actually turning out to be a great motorcycle, just slow.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pokey151 said:

Check your sag.  I bet the new rear shock is making it sink bug, also lower the forks to help

No idea what it's supposed to be as the stock sag was about 6.5 inches... Lol

2 hours ago, Rjg967 said:

No idea what it's supposed to be as the stock sag was about 6.5 inches... Lol

Google says, a generic amount of sag is 33% of your travel.  Might be a good starting point?

just read on a KLR forum a guy is running 2.6 inch or 66mm and is happy with the handling

So here is my thought:

Stock travel for the gen 1 is 9.1 inch in the rear, so 33% is 3.03 in or 76.2mm

So the window I would assume would be 66-72mm sag 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rjg967 said:

Make it a 685 with exhaust and carburetor correction and it'll do it fairly easily. Before the tire I had it up to 98 before I backed off. LOL

Now THAT is freakin awesome!

FYI food for thought, I balance all my wheels. off or on road. rotating mass is rotating mass even when bouncing around in the dirt. Less mechanical and physical stress. less chassis vibe, smoother everywhere. those rim locks are heavy a few ounces opposite is never a bad idea. Enjoy the ride!!

• Like 2