Did this ride with a couple friends over the weekend. 7 hours ride time, 225 miles. Started at the Lazy Lizard and ended up in Big Bear Lake by 5:00 PM. 

I'm interested in putting together some long rides like this and looking for routes. Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks all!

181823664_10108348958571924_1932263721772298676_n.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr.JAJA said:

Can you mark the dirt sections?

Would like to see this .gpx file. Do you have a link for google maps?

Nice work @Bluhdow! What bikes were you on? Did you ride back or truck?

I’ve done a number of rides like this, let’s get one going!

For the gpx guys: looks like Plaster City to the train tracks to sam felipe, the 78 east to poleline to salton city, up the 86 maybe to dillon road to berdoo canyon into joshua tree and pioneertown all the way up to north side of big bear. I think I’m fairly close. 

Nice Outing! My thoughts align with the 3 others. Was the Big Bear stop at a hotel for the night? camping? or trailered bikes? mostly tarmac? what bikes?

In regard to your question.... You could do similar but as you go over the top of the Salton Sea, do some Bradshaw (and tributaries from it, and even try to get to Patton's cabin north of 10- where JAJA and others only got partially there through some deep sand to camp, as that would create a nice loop if you eventually dropped back down to the east end of Bradshaw near BDR ) A nice way to get to that area is Red Canyon Jeep road if you want dirt, or Box Canyon...... and so you could make it back to start without doing overnight.

• Haha 1

Waypoints:

1. Lazy Lizard to Iron Door (with a detour into Superstition). This is all dirt except the last couple of miles to Iron Door. 

2. Iron Door across Oc Wells to Salton Sea (all dirt).

3. Salton Sea across Mecca to Berdoo Canyon (mostly pavement).

4. Through JTNP and Yucca Valley to Rimrock (mix of dirt and pavement with lots of options if you know the area well).

5. Rimrock to Big Bear (all dirt).

We stayed the night in Big Bear and trucked home to SD the next day. We had a drop-off/chase truck so there was no vehicle shuttling.

All on KTM EXCs. 450 and 500. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

Nice work @Bluhdow! What bikes were you on? Did you ride back or truck?

I’ve done a number of rides like this, let’s get one going!

For the gpx guys: looks like Plaster City to the train tracks to sam felipe, the 78 east to poleline to salton city, up the 86 maybe to dillon road to berdoo canyon into joshua tree and pioneertown all the way up to north side of big bear. I think I’m fairly close. 

Pretty well nailed it. 😃

• Like 1

Very nice! I’m going to play around with this on some maps and make a mid weight bike friendly loop. I’m looking at you @MacDuncan  😄

• Like 1

Can you wait till I am done with my treatment?  Just kidding. Go ahead and find a nice BB route. 

Will lay it out for you Udo.  Summer's coming and trips to Big Bear will be more necessary as the heat rises.

2 hours ago, Zubb said:

Very nice! I’m going to play around with this on some maps and make a mid weight bike friendly loop. I’m looking at you @MacDuncan  😄

I'm interested.  :)

• Like 1