Chief Gunner

Bike is ready to Ride......But🥺

So I need to get a VIN verification on the 950SE here in CA so I have it in hand when I go to the DMV to register it.

The bike was previously registered here but  it lived in AZ so the title needs to be switched over to me so a VIN verification has to be done.

One  thing that bothers me is that the engine number is hidden behind the side stand relocation mounting bracket and it can’t be seen as it is 🥺. I think I might be ok if I make a video and take the skid plate and kickstand off and take pictures of it to show the verification person so I don’t have to drop the skid plate and take the kickstand off in front of them.

Everything is legit (Insurance & Title) so I’ll ask if Anyone here knows someone or Place that would work with me on that? 

Thanks

Are you a AAA member? They can do it there and they're generally a little more accommodating.

Leave the side stand and skid plate off. Even AAA (Poway) I had to go to all way to have the motor number verified. Light, Paint, Scottish bright.

I recently worked very hard to get a boat trailer registered. It was right on the edge of having to be tossed as AAA nor DMV would even consider looking at it without a VERY CLEAR "VIN" appropriately placed. Even the manufacturer said, "good luck dude".  For everyone on this site, I truly suggest that you go out to every vehicle, trailer, boat, moto, etc...  and find the VIN and "preserve it"  Take pics while visible, if almost not visible, get a new VIN plate riveted on the frame.  That is way easier than the consequence of pleading your case that all is legit, when there is no concrete evidence. The folks who have to register items seem to have heard every possible justification. I took 17 different pictures from different angles of the VIN with cameras using multiple lights and shades, and luckily, and kindly,  the Highway Patrol Officer was just barely able to see enough of the numbers to correlate with my pics, to validate, and then riveted a new VIN on the trailer. So now I can more easily sell to others, including my friends. Go check your VINS on items now  :) 

I have heard AAA does this and I wanted to take my kid's new bike there but when I called for an appointment the automated machine wouldn't let me make an appointment and said they don't do it and I have to go to the DMV.  I'd be happy to know that their answering machine is wrong instead of having to deal with the the DMV for it.

At least pre-COVID, AAA would do it. The exception was if you bought the vehicle out of state from a dealer , then you had to go to the DMV. 

Yep, there is a bit of the scarecrow pointing to the left with right hand and to the right with the left hand as to where to go next.

DMV sent me to AAA and AAA sent me to DMV, and upon return, DMV then sent me to CHP El Cajon, who told me to back to DMV to start paperwork and then bring the papers back to CHP to schedule an appointment. Everyone was super nice, but there were no options.  Both the AAA rep and the DMV rep and the CHP officer apologized to me that they couldn't help me, but without an obvious VIN, simply NO GO.  I have heard that some reps find numbers easier than others. 

Upon return to CHP, they mentioned that there is a 3 month backlog of appointment times to get VIN visually confirmed, but not to waste their time if the VIN isn't clear as a bell and properly attached, and matched all out of state paperwork.  They suggested Blacklights, and spreading substances on the tag that might help the sunfaded VIN be seen. They also said that if they could finally see it clearly, they would sign papers and I could go back to DMV to register. 

I also tried..... I shared that I made most of the trailer myself because I had to fix and replace a bunch of items, but they said that unless I had all receipts of the purchase of NEW materials, including frame,  for all parts, I could not receive a waiver that would imply I made it myself, because you can get new VINs for self made items......   

If this post seems long and painful to read..... imagine doing it  :)   Gunner, hope you find yourself with a DMV, or AAA or CHP rep that can confirm numbers easily...... but also prepare to take items off ahead of time and trailer it if need be to appt. at any of those places.

It might be less work in the long run.