Sign in to follow this  
stoke

Why is registration so expensive for a cheap bike?

Question - my 2008 V-strom is worth maybe 2K at best on a good day. Probably less than that. 

Just got my registration renewal today it's $131? That's like 7% of the value. 

Is there a way to get depreciation factored in or something? I've owned the bike about 7 years. 

@DSM8 I'm sure you've got some intel on this....

I believe the state has already factored in what they determined to be the depreciated value of your vehicle. You’re going to pay it, and you’ll like it. Welcome to California.

That's likely close to the absolute minimum charge they have.  I'm looking at four renewals in front of me now. 

2007 Yamaha Rhino - OHV only $54 for two years. 

2008 Husky - $130

2008 Yamaha FZ6 - $139

2016 Honda CRV w/salvage title - $177 

35 minutes ago, Zubb said:

I believe the state has already factored in what they determined to be the depreciated value of your vehicle. You’re going to pay it, and you’ll like it. Welcome to California.

Ha ha, been here 20 years, but yeah...sometimes when they stick it to ya, you feel it. 

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, tntmo said:

That's likely close to the absolute minimum charge they have.  I'm looking at four renewals in front of me now. 

2007 Yamaha Rhino - OHV only $54 for two years. 

2008 Husky - $130

2008 Yamaha FZ6 - $139

2016 Honda CRV w/salvage title - $177 

Damn dude. Can't believe the fees on your bikes! Even the CRV....

Well, I guess I'm not crazy then, I was just scratching my head this am wondering what the heck

2 hours ago, stoke said:

Damn dude. Can't believe the fees on your bikes! Even the CRV....

Well, I guess I'm not crazy then, I was just scratching my head this am wondering what the heck

Are you a new California resident?  You should see what a newer 3/4 ton pickup costs to register! 

41AF4EF4-2576-416B-9159-F140310A5391.jpeg

Yes our bike fees are stupidly high and I won’t even tell you how much I pay for my 2015 F350.  But what is really ridiculous is that my 2006 F250 has been going up for the last 5 years.  I just paid the tags for it again and it was $350!  We have some real idiots running this State and no I don’t vote for them.p

11 minutes ago, Goofy Footer said:

What are you guys are paying yearly for insurance on bikes?

There are too many variables in insurance.

Years licensed, driving record, age, zip code, different size/type of bikes, driving habits, marital status, etc!

No real way to compare.  I always suggest getting a few quotes every couple years just to see if you can do better.

FYI 1992 Beta Zero 260 Trials bike (green sticker reg) $54.00 + @ 1.00 card processing fee,  just now.

15 hours ago, RADSURF said:

Yes our bike fees are stupidly high and I won’t even tell you how much I pay for my 2015 F350.  But what is really ridiculous is that my 2006 F250 has been going up for the last 5 years.  I just paid the tags for it again and it was $350!  We have some real idiots running this State and no I don’t vote for them.p

I don't know how you are getting off so "cheap" on your truck!  My 2005 Chevy 2500 was almost $500 the last year I paid it (2019) in California.  Stickered in Utah now and $72 a year with personalized plates :)

17 hours ago, tntmo said:

Are you a new California resident?  You should see what a newer 3/4 ton pickup costs to register! 

No Kidding!  I just registered my 2018 2500 diesel.  Shocking

4 hours ago, CVRick said:

No Kidding!  I just registered my 2018 2500 diesel.  Shocking

I have been looking at property in different states. Latest is Louisiana. To register my Dodge 3500 Diesel in LA would be around $50 a year.  Amazing the price differences for the same services from one state to another.

On 4/5/2021 at 2:29 PM, tntmo said:

20 years broham. Still gets me. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RADSURF said:

why would it go UP!!?? makes no sense! 

7 hours ago, simicrintz said:

I don't know how you are getting off so "cheap" on your truck!  My 2005 Chevy 2500 was almost $500 the last year I paid it (2019) in California.  Stickered in Utah now and $72 a year with personalized plates :)

$500 to $72, wow. California wants us all on public transport and bicycles 

22 hours ago, tntmo said:

There are too many variables in insurance.

Years licensed, driving record, age, zip code, different size/type of bikes, driving habits, marital status, etc!

No real way to compare.  I always suggest getting a few quotes every couple years just to see if you can do better.

Yep, they raised my insurance for no reason after 5 years. No accidents, nothing. Had to switch. 

• Like 1

How else are they going to be able to pay for all those cushy hotel rooms for our guests ??

• Like 1

On 4/6/2021 at 5:59 PM, hobiee said:

How else are they going to be able to pay for all those cushy hotel rooms for our guests ??

yeah exactly ha ha