Sign in to follow this  
Bub_Hannah

Fred Canyon open for business

Got my "workout at the gym" yesterday....

Finally...this trail is open!!!   Gate for Thing Valley access to Sunrise was still closed...there is a bypass, but I did not take it.       

This would make a great group ride... any takers?

Couple raw videos.

...and a small section of Thing Valley road

Nice video, except you were making me cringe when you were on the wrong side of the road going around those blind corners.  Not a good habit to get into

• Like 1

Hot Dam! Great to see this open. Thanks a ton for sharing. Haven’t seen the vid yet as my wife is FUBAR here in Colorado. But when I get back end of this next weekend (Sunday night) I’ll either join up with y’all here or plan something for the near future. 
i’d like to take the Thing gate bypass and see how far up we can get before having to turn around. 

Hahaha! No. My wife isn’t fubar. My Wi-Fi is. Got iPhone autocorrected. 
thank God the wife is still cool with my crazy life style. 

1 hour ago, Zubb said:

Hahaha! No. My wife isn’t fubar. My Wi-Fi is. Got iPhone autocorrected. 
thank God the wife is still cool with my crazy life style. 

Your original post had me laughing out loud.    Sounds like you have a keeper S.O. too.          Yes, I'd like to see how far we can go up before hitting another gate as well.

1 hour ago, crfxer said:

Nice video, except you were making me cringe when you were on the wrong side of the road going around those blind corners.  Not a good habit to get into

I'm pretty careful on the blind corners, slowing down for them and peering around as much as possible.   The chest camera mount makes everything seem faster.     Sometimes taking the inside of the corners is due to avoiding obstacles.     In some cases, you will have been able to see further up the trail and if anyone is coming the other way too, that is not accounted for in the camera angles/views.     ...but yes, corners are always a risk...your point is taken.   I was "feeling it" yesterday.

Being on the right side of a trail doesn't mean you're not going to get taken out either.

This close call happened to me on Pine Valley trail as I came around a corner. 

View from my helmet....

danger.jpg

• Haha 1

Just keep in mind that wit the same speed you ride up, the Mountain biker come down.

1 hour ago, Bub_Hannah said:

Your original post had me laughing out loud.    Sounds like you have a keeper S.O. too.          Yes, I'd like to see how far we can go up before hitting another gate as well.

I'm pretty careful on the blind corners, slowing down for them and peering around as much as possible.   The chest camera mount makes everything seem faster.     Sometimes taking the inside of the corners is due to avoiding obstacles.     In some cases, you will have been able to see further up the trail and if anyone is coming the other way too, that is not accounted for in the camera angles/views.     ...but yes, corners are always a risk...your point is taken.   I was "feeling it" yesterday.

Being on the right side of a trail doesn't mean you're not going to get taken out either.

This close call happened to me on Pine Valley trail as I came around a corner. 

View from my helmet....

danger.jpg

Exact what I say, you are not alone. 

15 hours ago, Mr.JAJA said:

Just keep in mind that wit the same speed you ride up, the Mountain biker come down.

On our Warner to Anza ride last month, I seem to remember having trouble keeping up with you front runners a few times.   ;)

Hadn't thought about mountain bikers....good point.

15 hours ago, Mr.JAJA said:

Exact what I say, you are not alone. 

From personal experience bouncing off the front of a slow moving/oncoming truck while riding a fire road long ago...I am well aware of that.

• Like 1

For the record, that gate at Thing Valley is always closed. It's there to help Border Patrol secure the area as that road could be used as a bypass to get around the BP checkpoints on the 8. The gate bypass has been there for many many years and is used consistently without issues by motorcyclists/hikers/MTB. I have never seen them make an attempt to bock it, which tells me they are unconcerned with our activity. I ride it frequently and that is just my .02.

17 hours ago, Oracle said:

For the record, that gate at Thing Valley is always closed. It's there to help Border Patrol secure the area as that road could be used as a bypass to get around the BP checkpoints on the 8. The gate bypass has been there for many many years and is used consistently without issues by motorcyclists/hikers/MTB. I have never seen them make an attempt to bock it, which tells me they are unconcerned with our activity. I ride it frequently and that is just my .02.

Great intel, thanks Oracle.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Oracle said:

Good to know!  Thanks.