Sign in to follow this  
alyeska

Doo hickey

Does anyone have a reputable shop that has done a lot of doohickeys or a member who has vast experience with the job? All of my klrs have been done by Fred Hink at arrowhead and it gave me a reason to hangout in Moab, but Fred has retired, he was a master at this I watched him do it at least 3 times and it was a flawless operation without even draining the oil. Let me know if anyone has a suggestion. Thanks. Tom 

2 hours ago, tubebender said:

I've done about 25 of them.

I'd be happy to help you out.

There you go, a reason to ride over the hill and get a fish taco.

Alyeska, if you come into town, give me a shout.

Would love to see you before we're gone for a few years !

T bender, I will take you up on that, I stop by mikes regularly so let me know what I need to get it done, I have until April 19 to get it done so whenever is best for you.

Rad, didn’t know you were heading out of town for that long, I will try to touch base with you before you leave

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alyeska said:

T bender, I will take you up on that, I stop by mikes regularly so let me know what I need to get it done, I have until April 19 to get it done so whenever is best for you.

I actually have all the parts needed already. Do you want to check the valves too?

I was at Mikes today picking up some welding work.

I'll PM you my number.

Carl

Do you have a picture by chance of what it looks like? I picked up my KLR and it has an astronomical number of miles so I am assuming it is done. However, I pulled the oil screen when I did my clutch and found some shredded black plastic fragments that really freaked me out and I'm afraid it might be the tensioner.

Thanks.

On 3/25/2021 at 6:15 PM, tubebender said:

I've done about 25 of them.

I'd be happy to help you out.

If your talking about the right side oil screen, it is pretty normal to see some debris caught there. It is usually bits of silicone and other assembly swarf. You didn't say how early a Gen 1 you have, so just speculating, if it's a real early bike it could be rubber from balancer idler gears. Other possibilities include flakes from cam chain guides or other gasket material.

On a bike with a really loose balancer chain, you would tend to get aluminum flakes from the chain hitting the case.

superdoo does some good videos

1 hour ago, tubebender said:

If your talking about the right side oil screen, it is pretty normal to see some debris caught there. It is usually bits of silicone and other assembly swarf. You didn't say how early a Gen 1 you have, so just speculating, if it's a real early bike it could be rubber from balancer idler gears. Other possibilities include flakes from cam chain guides or other gasket material.

On a bike with a really loose balancer chain, you would tend to get aluminum flakes from the chain hitting the case.

superdoo does some good videos

Mine is a 1999, the debris in the oil screen was hard plastic like a chain guide. No telling how long it's been there or how old it is. No metal in the filter whatsoever so I'll consider it a fluke and keep an eye on it. Thanks!