MacDuncan

A quick wander to the sun & KOFA

There hasn't been much riding for awhile now, so I was looking forward to seeing some new terrain. 

With the original goal of Jawbone and Death Valley, and watching Royboyz fly by on the BDR, having to be changed, the next focus was to find the sun.

The fact that last minute vaccination scheduling needed to be done due to cancellations altered the group schedule.  The crazy wind and snow predictions also shifted plans as camping when the temp could reach low 30's wasn't a first choice.  So back to basics as we decided to find some sun and the warmest weather within reach.  As a camping outing just to get out of town began to take priority over a riding outing, I was a bit bummed, but short casual riding in dirt would still be nice.

As is often the case with my riding buds, the default is I become the primary coordinator and tour guide. So I set our goal for 3 rides for 3 days, Ferguson rd, Picacho and Hyduke, and circumnavigate KOFA.

We met at Senators wash, saturday afternoon, and found a nice camp site and geared up.  I was a bit surprised that so many rzrs were permitted to play in the surrounding hills these days, given the CA side, but we roamed around a bit and then set out to the dead end of Ferguson.

IMG_7104.thumb.JPG.2d564ac2488e9675a9de57ec9f7fafb5.JPG

There were more Campers in the BLM land that I had seen before, but we stayed over at North Shore.  We wandered around to find Ferguson, and headed North.

A nice knoll offered beautiful views:

IMG_7106.thumb.JPG.0d4a10e7a688c228c14d1b048f0f5d98.JPG

Lake Martinez is the background across the river. And it was cool that on the horizon, you can see Castle Dome in KOFA, which would be our destination Sunday Morning.

IMG_7110.thumb.JPG.5cbbe8573dddef16d876b63b12f7b043.JPG

It was a casual road that offered some nice views and it met the goal of riding something I hadn't seen before, although short and sweet.

When the road was open, I did open it up a bit, but hit a big ditch at speed and was rewarded with a pinch flat. I knew I should have put a new tire on before I went, knowing I would upon return. Oh well, a 10 mph cruise back to camp and I would change it in the morning.  I will use the practice of only using the tools on my bike:

IMG_7119.thumb.jpg.b3133dd836554941e3fd3bdab6e44854.jpg

Well, I had to use something not in my moto bag,   Windex!

I really do think I should carry a small tube of something as If I had to change that tire in the wilderness, not sure I could use enough saliva to to get that rubber tire to slip n slide on the metal rim. I am up for suggestions.

Fixed tire Sunday morning and then cruised over to Palm canyon Rd in KOFA. Skipped the Hyduke exploring I had intended as not everyone in the group appreciated soft deep sand. I took an inventory of my buddies tools and gas carrying capacity, so decided to take a shorter ride (as they only had a 30 oz gas bottle and I would not enjoy being out of gas 30-50 miles into the loop (if I made a wrong turn, or other).  I had a couple rotopax, but still thought a more casual ride would be best for the group.

I took them up Queen canyon, and it was very pretty up there, there was plenty of green color and some "Jurassic Park" views that screamed out  "I was adventure riding" if only for a moment or 2  ) It wasn't the big ride I had hoped for, but again, I had never seen it before, so all good. Climbing the alluvial fan into the cholla was nice!

IMG_7121.thumb.JPG.45a40e92eb35f60df0099b3dac3772f0.JPG

Some fantastic camp sites up that road that I would absolutely use if moto camping, or had a jeep. For 4 wheel rigs, it would be slow going to go up that road, but not too bad, but the bikes rolled along quickly.

It is actually pretty cool that when you turn off of hiway 95 towards KOFA, the first mile or 2 of the dirt road is BLM land, and the camping is free there. BIG open spots with rocks for fire rings.  Some could hold 20 vehicles. It is free to camp in KOFA too, but the spots are a bit smaller, but great for a vehicle or 2.

IMG_7132.thumb.JPG.6cb7f5376bcb8e80b75f96c15a638fdc.JPG

Big open land in the desert: Nice sunsets, and sitting by a campfire was nice!

IMG_7134.thumb.JPG.c07fd8e65b124243d96b8b70fa28408a.JPG

IMG_7136.thumb.JPG.9d8895d8ff7dd9cd755ca5ceeb06c390.JPG

The next day, Monday, 2 riders cruised home and 2 of us decided to head out on King Road, only a 1/4 mile or less beyond (north) the hiway 95 Border Patrol check.  It was still warm and sunny and we wanted to check out some of the KOFA route that I had originally planned to do. We parked only about 200 yds down the road and loaded up the bikes. We also loaded up the rotopax and I was was thinking that if we went half way, we might just keep going, but that would still leave the 20 mile hiway 95 south to ride to get back to trucks (kinda yucky option), but we would see. 

IMG_7143.thumb.jpg.0922fe4686f9c4ec66387b219373cd2a.jpg

OH MY, it was so nice riding in the sun and across open desert through dirt. We were on a road that made it very unlikely that we would see anyone for hours. 

The riding was beautiful and it was what I had missed for about a year. We had communication in our helmets and it was far more comfortable for me not having to slow (and stop regularly) and look to see that all were ok and present as all I had to do is push a button to make sure that my buddy was rolling along ok about a 1/4 mile behind me just behind the dust explosions. 

At one view point well into the ride..... feeling that I was on top of the world....  I walked up to my bike and heard the dreaded hissssss. Nope, not a snake, but my tire started to leak air. Grrr, but oh well. Changing a tire is never fun, but I got on it and used it for practice since I often ride alone. My buddy stood aside, so you won't see any white boots of a rider napping by the side in the pics  - haha.

Hmmm, notes to self:

Did I really tighten the nut on the stem so much that I couldn't undo it with fingers??? and no 1/2 inch wrench with me? grrr

Where is the lube I may need (but lucky it was warmed up, so tire stretched pretty easy, whew). 

After first fix, stem core leaked, grrr, so lucky that I could use the flat tube one, but all I had was those funky plastic stem cap removal tools and 2 of them stripped using them.

Yikes, I will buy a metal valve core removal tool to keep in my bag.

As I pulled out the tube, curious to see why I flatted, especially as I was being super alert to miss all rocks given my recent pinch flat, and I even purposefully over inflated my rear tire from my normal 13 lbs to 16 lbs given my non-knobby tire.....  and I couldn't imagine a nail or staple picked up out here....  I found the strangest leak spot.... about half way up the tube on the side wall alongside the seam (which can make it harder to patch). As I searched inside the tire to feel for a nail or ??  I found a very sad looking rim band... whether that had bunched up and caused it, not sure, but a reminder to self to inspect the band more often than every decade or so - smiles. 

It was nice and easy to use the battery tender plug to run the pump because I didn't have to take the luggage and seat off to get power.

IMG_7150.thumb.jpg.6d5f9c4a7c5b41710bdf0ac6eba9b05d.jpg

The rotopax didn't offer the opportunity to ride farther that day, but they worked great as a stand - nice!

IMG_7148.thumb.JPG.f23584aff682f6b0c7443a2e8b3eb084.JPG

Well, all good, No vehicle came by while out in a very beautiful place, so no dust, and the views of KOFA were truly beautiful. Glad I had remembered to pack a hat as the sun was hot while working on the bike where no bush was higher than my handlebars.....

Actually, glad nobody came by as they may have asked if I was having a garage sale - haha:

IMG_7152.thumb.JPG.70431f37f00a4245ab6e6172a91cd81a.JPG

Nice view of the Dome in the background, and from the north east this time. By the way, the rectangular stone that my axel is sitting on is a geo marker, there were 3 of them about 10 yds apart. Kind of interesting. 

Well, a nice adventure, and really, the most challenging part was driving home in the truck up the hill on hiway 8 from Ocotillo Monday afternoon as it was the highest wind I had ever seen on that stretch, and at the top it was snowing even though it was sunny in Ocotillo - Strange weather, but I had found the sun and a got a few nice rides in while seeing new terrain. I would call that a good wander about.  Cheers. 

• Like 2

Great write up thanks for taking the time to post it.

I recently rode thru Picacho SRA and camped North of Winterhaven. I was really surprised how nice that part of the desert was during the winter. 

We also rode Hyduke Mine and thru the Cargo Muchacho Mtns SE of Tumco Mine

Thanks Goofy, I think we had a chat about the wr450 back in 2016.  My buddy bought it from Trophy Hunter. It still runs pretty good but it has a strange Ghost issue where, randomly, it doesn't start and it seems like a dead battery, but 30 seconds later, it simply fires right up.  When out in the wilderness, it always makes our hearts jump a beat  :)

I originally wanted to ride from senators wash only a few miles on tarmac to the southwest, as soon there is a short cut to the canal and a cross over to get on the North side of canal, so you can get on dirt, it is a fun little straight jaunt under power poles  to get to picacho road, soon after that right turn, you can veer to the west to go to Valley of the names, which is likely what you went through.  I was hoping to find Hyduk or similar to get to Ogilvy, then ride east on Indian just before it drops from hard pack to down in the ravine.  That particular spot is quite nice to chill for a moment.  It then takes you back through Picacho proper, of course that is also the CABDR.  I think we were once at Panamint at the same time, hope to cross paths with you some day. Cheers. 

My X used to do that no start then fine, whew! went back to a juice battery no more issues. Hmmm.

I had a similar mystery flat thing happen on my 525. 3 rear flats within probably 5 weeks of eachother. Turns out the little metal washer that goes over the valve stem was just rubbing its way through tubes! To your point, should probably check those more than every 10 yrs.

On 3/22/2021 at 7:48 PM, bboyle9 said:

I had a similar mystery flat thing happen on my 525. 3 rear flats within probably 5 weeks of eachother. Turns out the little metal washer that goes over the valve stem was just rubbing its way through tubes! To your point, should probably check those more than every 10 yrs.

If I recall, the washer came loose during a tire install and kind of embedded inside the actual tire rubber. It would wear down the new tubes until it cut them and flaaaaaaaaat goes the 525

On 3/21/2021 at 12:48 PM, MacDuncan said:

Thanks Goofy, I think we had a chat about the wr450 back in 2016.  My buddy bought it from Trophy Hunter. It still runs pretty good but it has a strange Ghost issue where, randomly, it doesn't start and it seems like a dead battery, but 30 seconds later, it simply fires right up.  When out in the wilderness, it always makes our hearts jump a beat  :)

I originally wanted to ride from senators wash only a few miles on tarmac to the southwest, as soon there is a short cut to the canal and a cross over to get on the North side of canal, so you can get on dirt, it is a fun little straight jaunt under power poles  to get to picacho road, soon after that right turn, you can veer to the west to go to Valley of the names, which is likely what you went through.  I was hoping to find Hyduk or similar to get to Ogilvy, then ride east on Indian just before it drops from hard pack to down in the ravine.  That particular spot is quite nice to chill for a moment.  It then takes you back through Picacho proper, of course that is also the CABDR.  I think we were once at Panamint at the same time, hope to cross paths with you some day. Cheers. 

Ah the @TrophyHunter WR that is a clean bike! Did he lower it? I wonder if there is an intermittent short or ground causing the oddity.

Indian Pass / Gavilan Wash is part of the CABDR. We took part of the eastern section of Hyduke Mine Road near the river which was a fun section. American Girl Mine Rd through the Muchacho Mtns had a couple slightly more technical sections.

Great riding there though and I was pretty surprised by it all. I've never been in the KOFA.. yet

• Like 1

Hmmm, Goofy, now that you mention it, even though I have thought the same and told my buddy such.... likely a short or connection issue, I should help my bud research the issue as an extra pair of eyes can sometimes find the culprit.  But also, I have seen that something as simple as a loose battery cable make start-ups act that way. 

Hmmm, also, the spot I made reference to, that I like, is Indian Pass proper I think.  And, I never knew that the drop down into the ravine that I think about is actually Gavilan Wash.  Cool, Thanks. 

For those who want to knock out some CABDR in pieces, (like some folks do with hiking the PCT) for a day, and to loop back to trucks or camping spot, especially those who want to save knobbies, I would suggest a Winterhaven start on BDR, a veer to Valley of the Names off of BDR and Picacho road to explore, a wander back to Picacho road after cruising around Picacho Peak, then follow BDR to ogilvy and 78, but instead of hopping on Hiway 78 north, go straight across intersection to find dirt side road to Milipitas, then (left) to follow BDR to Bradshaw (Careful to know that milipitas turns into Wiley, and if on Wiley, you missed the turn), work your way back to Palo Verde town, and then head south on OLD Palo verde road, (careful about the confusion that may take place as you enter the dump road, don't go into dump, but look a bit through culdesac like intersection and stay on OLD Palo Verde road that splits the mountains and heads back to Milipitas). From intersection, Unless you go find American Girl Mine that Goofy shared, you can return same way or put in some tarmac south to Ogilvy train track intersection and cut the corner to south east to exit tarmac and follow along train tracks to Hiway 8 (A chevron there if needed, as is a gas station back in Palo Verde, but not sure of open times).   A nice loop (almost a figure 8 with a long middle section of overlap so as to not burn out knobs  on your new goldentyre 333  :) -- Unless you are on an adventure bike where that is less of a concern).  Cheers

Going east past American Girl up the wash is pretty rocky. Not recommended for the faint of heart or those on big bikes:)

Recommend a old pill pot filled with Vaseline.  You only need to apply this to 1/2 of the tire. The first part will go on easy without it. Its in my toolbag.

1 hour ago, Mr.JAJA said:

Recommend a old pill pot filled with Vaseline.  You only need to apply this to 1/2 of the tire. The first part will go on easy without it. Its in my toolbag.

That’s a great idea Udo. 
since I have a can of no-mar tire Lubé I think I’ll stuff the pill bottle with that. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, PbdBlue said:

Going east past American Girl up the wash is pretty rocky. Not recommended for the faint of heart or those on big bikes:)

Did you connect American Mine East  to Barney Oldfield / Valley of Names?

That’s a great ride

@MacDuncan how are you liking the GT333 rear?

12 hours ago, Zubb said:

That’s a great idea Udo. 
since I have a can of no-mar tire Lubé I think I’ll stuff the pill bottle with that. 

No mar is for tires only, Vaseline can be used for everything.

Goofy, I am still a newbie regarding many Dual sport issues, but I am quite sure that my decision to try one was based upon others in SDAR.  I have tried a few tires, but I do really like this one. Seems to grab nice, feel balanced in soft sand, tracked true in rocky stuff, and didn't scare me in tarmac rain..... I have at least a few thousand miles on them and this was my first 2 flats, both my fault, so seems to hit the target points.  I did chuckle when I was riding KOFA while thinking that  it is almost impossible to stay at 25 mph out in the open landscape, and then after the flat, instead of changing, I rode the flat for awhile and it rode quite well at 24 mph with 0 psi..... for about 10 miles... and I felt so proud that I was able to follow the speed limit - haha. But after getting to 26 mph, the side bead slipped off and I began traveling at a 35 degree angle on straights, and right after that, the first sound of wheel/metal to ground, I stopped to fix.  C&D on Convoy sells tons of them. 

5 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

Did you connect American Mine East  to Barney Oldfield / Valley of Names?

That’s a great ride

@MacDuncan how are you liking the GT333 rear?

Yeah. Many times. It's really the only way to get through without going around the north\south ends of the mountains. Lot's of good riding east of the mountains.

Interesting, and I didn't know, that almost exactly where I implied that you would look for the train tracks to find dirt from Ogilvy to cut the corner back to hiway 8 heading southeast (about 5 miles south of the lower bend in the Ogilvy road,) is only a couple football fields length away from the American Girl Mine road that heads to the northeast (right?)  I think I looked at it, but it did seem to be mighty rocky and I was solo at the time. Thanks for info of region... although this discussion is on the CA side of the river from KOFA - Original Post :) . Maybe a new thread soon....

So, With the excellent knowledge being shared here, maybe someone knows how to connect the  KOFA Wild life Preserve to Cibola Wildlife Preserve.  I tried to find a route by going up Red Cloud mine rd from Lake Martinez, but didn't find a way through. ? 

1 hour ago, MacDuncan said:

Interesting, and I didn't know, that almost exactly where I implied that you would look for the train tracks to find dirt from Ogilvy to cut the corner back to hiway 8 heading southeast (about 5 miles south of the lower bend in the Ogilvy road,) is only a couple football fields length away from the American Girl Mine road that heads to the northeast (right?)  I think I looked at it, but it did seem to be mighty rocky and I was solo at the time. Thanks for info of region... although this discussion is on the CA side of the river from KOFA - Original Post :) . Maybe a new thread soon....

So, With the excellent knowledge being shared here, maybe someone knows how to connect the  KOFA Wild life Preserve to Cibola Wildlife Preserve.  I tried to find a route by going up Red Cloud mine rd from Lake Martinez, but didn't find a way through. ? 

You have to go around the Yuma Proving Grounds. You can take Cibola Road from the river to 95. You’re supposed to phone in to the military to let them know you’re driving through. At least there are signs to that effect but I don’t know if anyone actually does. Download the Arizona Peace Trail tracks. It goes from Quartzsite along the river to Martinez Lake.