Sign in to follow this  
Pokey151

Done with track racing, what type of racing for a 300 xc-w?

I know there are district 38 races and then there is motocross racing.  
Does anyone race these?   I know I have a very long way to go but I like to set goals

thanks

if you cross border there are good nearby baja closed course events, HS Xc enduro types. D38 ,D37 enduros etc etc . We are heading up near ridgecrest to do the 2 day isde qualifier this weekend. then in april is a baja xc race that will be really good.

• Like 2

there are many offroad events to choose from all around the socal zone

• Like 1

We'll be at the D37 sprint enduro(s) this weekend.  We have been doing the D37 Grand Prixs recently, they are a bit fast for my liking but my son likes the heads up racing and I have been enjoying them more than I thought I would.  Taft isn't near the top of my list for vacation spots but the race there last month turned out to be really fun and they do a good job of keeping the courses watered.

There were a couple of D36 Cross Country races scheduled this spring near the Clear Creek area south of Hollister, but they have been cancelled and/or postponed.  We are hoping to go to the Fools Gold enduro, near Georgetown, on May 2.  The trails there are really fun.

I haven't done any D38 races but my impression is they are faster than I want to go.

• Like 4

When I was younger I would try the D38 races for sure.  At my age now I do not have a desire to do 80+ or even 100+ mph in the open desert.   I use to race the Adelanto GP and Elsinore GP every year for years. And you would have spurts of high speed which I love,   I was never in the fast guy groups but 30+ beg, then the 40+ beg.  Best I finished was 2nd but a lot of top 8.  I then started doing novice groups just to stay away from the pileups the beg classes are known for.   So I raced a lot but never a “fast guy”. 

• Like 2

Sounds like you would like the Sprint Enduro series that Isde97 is talking about.  I haven't really raced in years but that's one series I'm interested in.

• Like 2

D37 has a variety of formats and a busy schedule. If you're 40+ B or C rider you don't have to be crazy fast to do well over a season. Pit with a club and they'll make sure you make it back in. 

• Like 3

Sprint Enduros are the best in my opinion. 
Race against the clock VS 100 - 300 bikes at the start. However we don’t have many close to San Diego. 
The races Robert talks about in the Tecate area are awesome. Generally much smaller-except the Tecate Enduro.  Lots of 2 track. Lunch and cold Tecates after the race. 
Ive raced lots of D38.  Yes there are as fast as you and your bike dare to go across the lake bed sections. They’re not in every race and not very long. Mostly whoops, rocks, more whoops, sand washes, some more whoops, a trip thru the dunes at Superstition. Gas up at 25 miles then go for the next lap.  Challenging. Try it at least once. 

• Like 2

On 3/17/2021 at 3:05 PM, isde97 said:

We'll be at the D37 sprint enduro(s) this weekend.  We have been doing the D37 Grand Prixs recently, they are a bit fast for my liking but my son likes the heads up racing and I have been enjoying them more than I thought I would.  Taft isn't near the top of my list for vacation spots but the race there last month turned out to be really fun and they do a good job of keeping the courses watered.

There were a couple of D36 Cross Country races scheduled this spring near the Clear Creek area south of Hollister, but they have been cancelled and/or postponed.  We are hoping to go to the Fools Gold enduro, near Georgetown, on May 2.  The trails there are really fun.

I haven't done any D38 races but my impression is they are faster than I want to go.

Matt I will look for you there, I am aiming to make scrutineering Friday eve, if not I will be on site bright and early Sat morn. 

• Like 1

Chilly made a great video for example of one of the BORCS/PuertaMX  races . This is a typical Tecate local promoter single track race. That was a good year for me I took the 50+ class win and season. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/18/2021 at 7:34 PM, robertaccio said:

Chilly made a great video for example of one of the BORCS/PuertaMX  races . This is a typical Tecate local promoter single track race. That was a good year for me I took the 50+ class win and season. 

Wow, That looks both fun and exhausting.  I need quite a bit more seat time on my 2stroke todo that.  It's amazing just how different the riding style it is on a 2 stroke vs 4 stroke.  Great job on that race!!

Thanks every yet again for the input.  Looks like I have a whole new riding style I should learn before racing I guess.  Maybe a GP to start.  I have done plenty of them

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pokey151 said:

Wow, That looks both fun and exhausting.  I need quite a bit more seat time on my 2stroke todo that.  It's amazing just how different the riding style it is on a 2 stroke vs 4 stroke.  Great job on that race!!

Thanks every yet again for the input.  Looks like I have a whole new riding style I should learn before racing I guess.  Maybe a GP to start.  I have done plenty of them

These D37 sprint enduros are also a good venue. we did the 2 day ISDE qualifier this past weekend  Day 1 3 different special tests run 2x all no more than 10 miles, Day 2, 3 different special tests using parts of the day 1 tests with additional loop tracks added all 3 run 2x. If it was a typical sprint enduro it will be 1 day and 3 or more tests again run 2x each. Easy this format, no time keeping just line up test by test within the daily time allowance. I like these for this reason good for my old arse because they are short blasts then you can break and head to the next test when you catch your wind back, but I don't like them for the same reason, I am good at endurance races (long course enduros/Nat H&H) due to how long you need to keep a decent pace, which for me is good because I am not that fast but I can wear down the jackrabbits by the time the finish arrives

On 3/17/2021 at 3:05 PM, isde97 said:

What is the Grand Prix series like? Do they mix all classes together slow and pro?

33 minutes ago, Goofy Footer said:

What is the Grand Prix series like? Do they mix all classes together slow and pro?

The D37 GPs are more open but still closed course long loop races, I have done some of those in the past. You will be on course with everyone , not a big deal you will be so spread out , but for sure the Pros will lap you, but again no big deal , its all open and no-one is going to jump and land on you like an MX event. I did a memorable one at the 29 Palms GP, it was a "long" loop race skill level start line by line start , I forget of 30 sec or 1 minute line starts (mass) , I was racing in the B Int class at that time (maybe I was C I don't remember I will check, D37 keeps the race records up for years back) on my KTM250 2 stroke. we rode flowy sandy wash sections but with sharp corners then up into the hills , into an infield spectator section MX section (but very mild vintage type MX track), then up onto an actual semi paved road and up into the hills again. It was super fun but was a little fast for me but a safe fast on that road section. I had the best race with a guy on an RM125 we diced the entire time, I would always pull him in the fast stuff and he would be with me in the curvy stuff again. Great memory. These GP events have zero technical sections, unlike the Enduros or H&H s. One of my friends a Coastie Warrant O does all the GPs he loves those races. APR 10 is the Hilltoppers GP that is the club GP I did years back, it was well run and is a traditional event on the AMA D37. After looking at known names I find more than a few 50A guys I know including the forever fast Kelly G leading the 50+ A class in NGPC Series.

calendar. 

https://www.ngpcseries.com/

This is Sean's results for 21 he is C up to 250cc, he rides Husky 250F and older Italian RED Husky TC250 as well as newer Austrian WHT Husky FC250, he swaps back and forth between them.