Sign in to follow this  
Pokey151

Just purchased a 2021 Ktm 300 XC-W and have question

So in a 2stroke thread I posed I bought this bike.  From my research and advice for power I think I have those answers however I have others about tires and protection

so now that I have a strict off-road bike what about tires, tubeless, moose foam etc??

I will not at the begging plan on riding boulders etc typical single track like McCain etc     Are the stock tires good 

I see there are at least 2 foam inserts Moose and another brand I forgot   Then some people drilling holes to make it even softer    

I understand the concept of running lower pressure for low speed traction and can damage rims if you hit something at a higher speed  so is there pressure most people run for normal riding?   My dualsport I would run 14 psi for non rocky areas and 16-18 for stuff like Black Canyon   My MX bike 10.5 to 12 depending on conditions

also hand guards, full wrap or oem, I am scheduled to pick up the bike tomorrow and if suggested I may try out the moose or other foam insert   Or go tubeless etc

thanks again    

Lots of questions here

if you simply dont want to worry bout flats then your looking at a moose end of discussion

if worrying about rim protection then run a stiffer moose

full bark busters offer protection for both your hands and the controls in a crash way better than stock plastic stuff

tire choice you’re on your own there 

I've rarely had a problem with flats and/or pinched tubes on my smallerbikes and big ADV bikes...always run heavy duty natural rubber tubes.....and don't hit sharp rocks !

I've got the same bike as you ('20 model). I WAS running tubliss and really liked the way you can adjust pressures for different conditions. I'd go to 4psi for McCain, Tecate, etc. in the rear and then 10-12 for everywhere else. But I HATE flats and had a bladder failure in Colorado. After that I went with the Nittro mousse. I tried the softer "plushy" in the rear but it's too limiting (meaning soft) to use anywhere else. Now I'm running their standard mousse (10-12psi) and love that you can go anywhere and not worry about flatting. I've not had any issues with dinging the rims. One downside, they say, with the mousse is that they only last a couple of tire changes. Since I don't get to ride all that much they should last me a good while! 

Never running mousse before, the Nittro's are supposed to offer a more "lively" feel but I definitely noticed the "deader" feeling right away,  but you soon forget all about it. I even preferred that feeling in the really rocky stuff.

AXP skidplate, folding levers and mounted the burly SXS hand shields that I attached to the KTM full-wrap extensions that are designed to work with the stock shields for lightweight full coverage. Also added a carbon fiber pipe guard.

Note: I tend to fall over alot. 

Pokey this will be a big opinion thread. 

Hand guards open flag type only, OEM is fine (FIM safety rules for me, no closed hand guards that's across the board) I have not ridden with closed handguards since 2008 and they were light weight Acerbis ones. My daughter got her hand caught in her wraps and broke her wrist that was when I yanked those things off all my bikes, and really understood the FIM regulation for MX and enduro.

ARC Memlon levers (virtually unbreakable levers) , for offroad keep levers as far in as possible ergo wise.

AXP has really upped the "plastic" full coverage skid plate game ( many of the top tier extreme enduro guys are using AXP {France}) TM Design works is also good but I always added an Obie link guard attachment, but I think now TM has a full length plate. Plastic is great because it slides over things, doesnt load up the chassis and is quieter.

Choose you own tires if that is not Michelin brand use Nitro Mousses (std compound) buy extra lube or bucket of silicone grease and lube them up overkill and inside the tire as well.

If you burn through tires fast and want an easier mousse lube use a tire soap type grease like enforce or murphys tire soap, these are water based and clean up is super easy.

I use the proper silicone when leaving the tires longer (on my TE610 DS bike) and for racing, its lighter and water resistant. For my usual trail ride cycles I use the tire soap for ease. I swap the 2 types as a feel . Right now I am all OEM style silicone lube for the 2 day qualifier and some other events on the calendar.

For all including PTKtoomer save all your mousses , you can match up OD s and cut and stuff them in pieces to tighten them back up and save some $$ on always buying new ones. 

MXGP all use Pirelli Tires and all use Pirelli mousses, the tire techs constantly tape measure the rotable pile of used mousses to match what the crew chief wants as far as "pressure" , They of course only use whole mousses. But we can cut em and stuff em as desired, plus you can cut a torn section out and stuff in a new section.

ZipTy Racing makes the best rear disc shark fin (even Jarvis mech uses one on the the G-Force factory bike) its freaking aerospace quality and very very light.

Pipe guard I do have a P3 CF but its on my stock pipe, I'm going naked with the FMF Gnarley for now for a few reasons trickling down from the pros.

The OEM catalog exhaust flange support/guard is another good bullet proofing bling measure to utilize.

swingarm chain guide tab support (Bullet Proof Designs) with a TM Designs chain guide and if you want to go deeper the slide and glide kit. Their slider is a high back design, which is a great product for traction under load , more neutral squat in the rear.

There's more but I guess I will just need to download photos of my 21 TE300i set up.