97xr400r

Guglatech fuel filter / water separator

https://www.guglatech.com/en/

Seems like a really wise idea especially for injected bikes refiling in remote areas. 

I wonder if Andrew would have finished Dakar this year if he'd been using one of the bag type drop in filters. That was a shiddy hand he was dealt!

https://racerxonline.com/2021/01/05/mechanical-issue-causes-andrew-short-to-exit-dakar-rally-early

PS I head about this while listening to Jimmy Lewis' podcast. Great to listen to while prepping the bike. This guy keeps it real and walks the walk.

What they also need is to have low point drains in their tank systems, like aircraft have. He could have looked through the tank to see the water level line and drained it until gone. Then just pump out the rest in the lines after disconnecting. If pre- practiced this could be low time impact operation. 

But I would keep this a team secret....when others have issues, your team can capitalize.

Good idea, What is the schedule on that for aircraft?

I wonder how separated that water and gas actually was when he took off. I think he managed to ride off into the sunset before he started having problems. What a heart breaking scenario. 

57 minutes ago, 97xr400r said:

Good idea, What is the schedule on that for aircraft?

I wonder how separated that water and gas actually was when he took off. I think he managed to ride off into the sunset before he started having problems. What a heart breaking scenario. 

We took fuel samples daily in the military.  I know it’s part of the preflight check for light aircraft (Cessna, etc.) as well.  

• Like 1

I installed the gugatec kit on the africa twin since those thanks had that coating coming off on the inside and killing whole efi systems on some of the bikes.

I did it at around 600 miles on the bike. I was stunned at how much of the crap was already present in such a short time.

This is what was under the pump when I first removed it to clean the tank.

IMG_3396-XL.jpg

• Like 1

I had a filter sock on my 500 for a few years- never caught a thing. When it finally separated from its holder-thing at the fuel neck, I just threw it away. Had another on the aux tank of the 990- same result, trapped nothing, remained clean.

It was a MUST HAVE on the africa twin, on my 990 I had to replace the filter after around 5K miles, then I just ditched the whole EFI and never looked back.

Going to put the larger filter on the 1290 when it comes time to service it.