Had some time to break away yesterday.    Tons of fun exploring Sycamore valley for the first time.  Some really beautiful views.      Lots of different terrain too.

But it did not end so well.  The old saying...never put a wheel where your eyes have not been came into play.

Anatomy of what happened.

Yellow arrow: Tagged left boot on a rock riding close to wall avoiding obstacles (ouch)....got distracted.

Green arrow: Steep heavily rutted incline ahead hidden from view

Red arrow: Just starting to access what's ahead, should have cut right to outside (opposite of this view) or should have braked/stopped and re-approached.  I got cocky and paid the price.

Blue arrow,:  large step up on other side of rut.  I actually wheelied over and made it across....

...but I got squirrelly after the fact, lost momentum and dumped. :(

Bike has some battle scars now.

2small.jpg

1-jpg.2845580

• Like 3

5 hours ago, simicrintz said:

Bummer :(    But no damage to you?  Hopefully not.

Just my pride got dented.  ;)    I fell to the side safely.

4 hours ago, SANRider said:

I know that exact spot. I've had my share of trouble there as well. Prior to the rains those ruts were there, but filed with fine silty dirt.

Would have been a perfect time for the Dirt Napper.

https://www.keithproducts.us/product/dirt-napper-adventure-bike-spill-recovery-jack

Man, that could have come in handy.  I've picked my bike up before off level ground...but getting it up on a grade in that position was brutal.   I had to back it down the hill to get to a point where I could turn it around.    Wore me out!

9 hours ago, Bub_Hannah said:

Just my pride got dented.  ;)    I fell to the side safely.

Man, that could have come in handy.  I've picked my bike up before off level ground...but getting it up on a grade in that position was brutal.   I had to back it down the hill to get to a point where I could turn it around.    Wore me out!

Glad to see you testing that beautiful bike out in full on adventure mode!

there is a very simple technique to getting a big bike turned around on a steep hill so you can ride down, conserving most of your energy. 

Try it. You’ll like it!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zubb said:

Glad to see you testing that beautiful bike out in full on adventure mode!

there is a very simple technique to getting a big bike turned around on a steep hill so you can ride down, conserving most of your energy. 

Try it. You’ll like it!!

Thanks Kelly!     The tricky part in my case was the rut it was laying over.    ...and i was trying to prevent further damage to the pretty parts of the bike dragging on the rock surface.  I did end up dragging it so the rear tire fell in the rut to help give me more leverage picking it up.   Once I got it up, I used the rut to help back it down the hill.

I would LOVE to ride where he is in that video....that looks like so much fun.

2 hours ago, shutterrev said:

Dusty's video's are really well done 

Love the MotoTrek videos.     Dusty and Bret are awesome.    I've definitely learned a lot from them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bub_Hannah said:

I would LOVE to ride where he is in that video....that looks like so much fun.

We coach there all the time.  Jump into this weekends class with me.  PM me for details.

I've been interested reading up on some of these Adventure bike posts here on SDAR. Thought this was kinda neat (for a guy who's never ridden an Adventure bike) and it was filmed in our local desert. Think I'd go with that Tenere if I ever bought one.

Where exactly is Sycamore Valley ?...I'm not familiar with the name.

Just had to go back out there this weekend for a short putt....

Tiger in the grass....

bb-jpg.2858998

4002690461_59f7def01f_b.jpg

• Like 2