Pokey151

Pinyon to Fish creek Friday or Sat?

Looks like rain Wednesday into Thursday so that should make this ride perfect!!  No dust and traction city

is anyone interested?  I have a friend tentative for Friday,     I’ll be on the 790 but need to take it real easy at the rocky section due to the lack of a real skid plate. I just have the OEM one 

I am interested in this...    but I'm still gaining skills with my Tiger.   I'll call myself adventurous but tentative, mostly due to lacking long legs (on a tall bike)    I don't have a real skid plate either...the factory one will fold like Reynolds wrap no doubt.

Just an FYI for this route, recommended you have good skills in the soft stuff (sand), fish creek wash is around 30 miles from the drop to the exit. Very beautiful and fun! I could just see it also being the worst day ever for a newer adv rider. Have a plan for if someone pokes a hole in a cover, or bends/breaks a lever, also the drop is no joke at all - have a plan for all scenarios there for getting bikes down to fish creek wash. 

32 minutes ago, shutterrev said:

Just an FYI for this route, recommended you have good skills in the soft stuff (sand), fish creek wash is around 30 miles from the drop to the exit. Very beautiful and fun! I could just see it also being the worst day ever for a newer adv rider. Have a plan for if someone pokes a hole in a cover, or bends/breaks a lever, also the drop is no joke at all - have a plan for all scenarios there for getting bikes down to fish creek wash. 

What he said...it's not a "walk in the park" on a larger bike...

Trust me....from the video in the other thread, I can see this is no walk in the park.      I'm no newb to off-road...I grew up racing MX/riding dirt.   But yes, the bigger ADV bike does have it's differences from what I grew up on.   I'm also untested in sand on this bike due running around on 90/10 street tires for the first 8 months of ownership.    Now , I've got 50/50 (Trailmax) tires which are certainly far better than what I had.        

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bub_Hannah said:

Trust me....from the video in the other thread, I can see this is no walk in the park.      I'm no newb to off-road...I grew up racing MX/riding dirt.   But yes, the bigger ADV bike does have it's differences from what I grew up on.   I'm also untested in sand on this bike due running around on 90/10 street tires for the first 8 months of ownership.    Now , I've got 50/50 (Trailmax) tires which are certainly far better than what I had.        

All good man, just wanted anyone else who might be thinking of showing up for that ride to make sure they know what they are getting in to and have a plan figured 🤙 But if anyone needs mobile recovery, new clutch should be in the 4x4 Desert beast by this weekend :)  haha

I am very new to the adv bike, basically have 1 off-road ride under my belt.  I have ridden pinyon/fish creek 4 times on 450s and I thought it was fun.   I just never can rate my skill level I guess. But I am comfortable on a bike I guess.  Do you think its premature to try it on my 790?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pokey151 said:

I am very new to the adv bike, basically have 1 off-road ride under my belt.  I have ridden pinyon/fish creek 4 times on 450s and I thought it was fun.   I just never can rate my skill level I guess. But I am comfortable on a bike I guess.  Do you think its premature to try it on my 790?

If you have done it before, and both of you used to ride skinny bikes then I am sure you could dirt wheelie past me any day, and will be just fine and figure things out. Since this is a forum I was just just more cautioning for other folks that may be like 'ooh a ride' and new to ADV with zero mx/dirtbike background, this route would probably not be a great day on two wheels for that person haha. 

• Like 2

Shutterrev.   I definitely appreciate the warning. 👍    My main fear (other than clobbering myself) is holding people up.  lol

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, shutterrev said:

If you have done it before, and both of you used to ride skinny bikes then I am sure you could dirt wheelie past me any day, and will be just fine and figure things out. Since this is a forum I was just just more cautioning for other folks that may be like 'ooh a ride' and new to ADV with zero mx/dirtbike background, this route would probably not be a great day on two wheels for that person haha. 

I agree, this is not a Lost Valley Rd to Anza ride. and is not recommended to new to dirt riders but super fun.  Last time I went I had to get 2 of my friends bikes down the drop for them.  The rest they were fine

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bub_Hannah said:

Shutterrev.   I definitely appreciate the warning. 👍    My main fear (other than clobbering myself) is holding people up.  lol

So the 2 guys that left when we Anza,  They both have done it (on KTM 690 and the 701)  They also felt bad for holding people up, but for me I just want people to ride within their comfortable pace and never worry about holding people up.  That's how bad things happed.   

Maybe soon we can ride out to the end of fish creek an ride towards the drop.  That way it's just the sand wash.  I am not suggesting going up the drop, I think that is not even allowed and no way I would attempt that on a large bike lol.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pokey151 said:

So the 2 guys that left when we Anza,  They both have done it (on KTM 690 and the 701)  They also felt bad for holding people up, but for me I just want people to ride within their comfortable pace and never worry about holding people up.  That's how bad things happed.   

Maybe soon we can ride out to the end of fish creek an ride towards the drop.  That way it's just the sand wash.  I am not suggesting going up the drop, I think that is not even allowed and no way I would attempt that on a large bike lol.

I  never felt anyone held us up Sunday.   It's nice to take a break every once in a while.  

I also don't want to see anyone ride over their head and get hurt..   That goes for me too, I'm much too old for that and my wife will kill me...lol.   

I know my limits and when to say no.      My ego would survive someone else needing to take my bike down the drop for me if I felt it was too much.

THe end of fish creek in towards the drop sounds like a good run too.    

• Like 1

There's a pair of balls at the bottom of Heart Attack Hill. I've seen Tigers go down it in the past ... 

Just go slow. 

57 minutes ago, 350thumper said:

There's a pair of balls at the bottom of Heart Attack Hill. I've seen Tigers go down it in the past ... 

Just go slow. 

Are you joining us?  I have not ridden with you in a while.  For the 2 step up rock sections I will be nursing the bike over those just due to the weak skid plate but with the expected rain that was should be miles of wet beach sand.   

Ya I'm keeping Friday open for this ride.

Something in the news about the rain being diverted slightly ..

Ptkoomer has an advanced technique for rocky sections.  Just get off and run next to the bike while fluctuating the throttle and clutch pressure.

15 hours ago, 350thumper said:

Just go slow. 

I guess it's easy to make a comment like the above when it's not your $16K scooter or your limbs at risk.

I used to ride down far gnarlier hills than this one in my youth.     

Never said I wouldn't do it....I said I could live with it if I was unable.     With age comes wisdom.  I don't have anything to prove to anyone.

• Like 1

😄  good one , serio though bro , we've been on missions before together....This one is steep rock face and deep sand for miles....

20201227_182138.thumb.jpg.9f10f39ef5c1b781302bc22b1db7b143.jpg

If you do decide 2 go 4 it, just follow in my track at HH.. my line is smooth as butter and will soften your concerns..  

What's the worst thats could possibly happen?

20210303_122732_8637.jpg.064725f0eaf609325cd235811c5a526b.jpg

You'll be fine..its gonna make for great video content..

• Like 1

On 3/3/2021 at 12:16 PM, 350thumper said:

😄  good one , serio though bro , we've been on missions before together....This one is steep rock face and deep sand for miles....

20201227_182138.thumb.jpg.9f10f39ef5c1b781302bc22b1db7b143.jpg

If you do decide 2 go 4 it, just follow in my track at HH.. my line is smooth as butter and will soften your concerns..  

What's the worst thats could possibly happen?

20210303_122732_8637.jpg.064725f0eaf609325cd235811c5a526b.jpg

You'll be fine..its gonna make for great video content..

Looks like the geico rally 

• Like 1