It seems that half the people online want to hate this bike just because it's made by Harley Davidson, saying that it leaks oil, it's a big pig with no power and is old technology without even reading anything about it.  

The other half is divided into a few other major groups:

People saying that it can't go where a 250 pound 500cc dirt bike with lights and a plate can go.

It's too expensive compared to a KLR650.

The new mid-sized ADV bikes are lighter and cheaper.

It's not made in Japan, Germany or Austria, so it's no good.

And the few people who say that it's good to have another player in the game, hopefully it meets expectations and also helps push the other manufacturers to continue to improve their lineups over the coming years.  

I hope to get a test ride on one some time soon.  I think that I am in the last group of people, even though I don't plan to buy one anytime soon.  

• Like 2

note all/so many comments seem to always be skewed to the negative side. the internet is good indicator of the pessimistic attitudes of the general population. its so easy to slag from "your" podium...... as for moto stuff just about anything new is worthy, we are such a small demographic in the big scheme of things. i am pleased to see some HD marketing into this adv trend

• Like 1

I think it looks rad. If I were into the ADV scene I'd personally be more drawn to the midsize bikes...but that's because I come from dirt bikes. 

If I were on a bagger, the PanAm would likely be a decent option for me tiptoe toward the unpaved side.

For now, I'll continue to support Harley by loving my FXBB. 

For us vertically challanged folk, the way that thing drops down automatically when you stop sounds pretty cool.  They need to figure out a light-weight way to do that on my dirt bike!

12 hours ago, tntmo said:

It seems that half the people online want to hate this bike just because it's made by Harley Davidson, saying that it leaks oil, it's a big pig with no power and is old technology without even reading anything about it.  

The other half is divided into a few other major groups:

People saying that it can't go where a 250 pound 500cc dirt bike with lights and a plate can go.

It's too expensive compared to a KLR650.

The new mid-sized ADV bikes are lighter and cheaper.

It's not made in Japan, Germany or Austria, so it's no good.

And the few people who say that it's good to have another player in the game, hopefully it meets expectations and also helps push the other manufacturers to continue to improve their lineups over the coming years.  

I hope to get a test ride on one some time soon.  I think that I am in the last group of people, even though I don't plan to buy one anytime soon.  

I’m with you. I want to ride one. But I have no illusions that it will fit my bike needs. I truly hope HD makes some progress into ADV riding and more so with their electrics. This world is plenty big enough for all of us. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ptkatoomer said:

For us vertically challanged folk, the way that thing drops down automatically when you stop sounds pretty cool.  They need to figure out a light-weight way to do that on my dirt bike!

linkage bikes for the most part sit a bit lower. Tim sat on my  new Husky TE300i and was amazed to be flat footed. My race sag is set with spring rates for my weight at slightly less than the OEM callout of 110mm so say @ 105 with my tank arse loaded on.

I finally took the time last night to watch through that whole video.  I like the 'updated' image they are projecting.  To me, it feels more inclusive of motorcyclists in general.  And I loved the historical pics and story, as I always have.

But . . . .

Remember that time you snuck back into the house at 5 a.m. after being out all night only to find your mom and dad sitting at the kitchen table waiting for you?  And they asked where you'd been all night?  And you blurted out this long and convoluted 'explanation' which was mostly lies built on a little truth, and they stared at you silently while you continued to dig the hole deeper and deeper . . . .?

If HD were to ask me what I thought of this marketing piece (the vid) I'd tell them to stop pretending they were there all the time and I just hadn't noticed. My parents didn't believe me either.

I think their story would have felt more honest had they proudly embraced their road warrior heritage of pretty much my lifetime and sold it as returning to their roots and roaring into today's ADV/heavy enduro category.  

All of my bloviating though has nothing to do with the bike and I'm going to actively seek an opportunity to ride one as soon as it's available. HD is the bedrock on which modern-day motorcycling was built and it's amazing they are still here, alive and breathing with a dealer network second to none.  That's pretty amazing and I hope they sell the hell-outa this bike.

The bike world keeps evolving.  Ducati just made a massive leap forward in the ADV world (heavy enduro) with the new Multi and I think BMW will lose a few riders who are heavy on sport and light on dirt.  Give the Italians another year or two to figure out how to haul real-world torture proof luggage and they'll probably take a bigger chunk of B'mer lovers still.  

All this and 5 bucks will getcha through the Starbucks drive-thru.

• Haha 1

Zubb, I also can imagine that they really don't have many real offroad employees on the marketing payroll. I still need to watch the viddy in its entirety , but it really wasn't that long ago, up to the early sixties that H-D machines were all over Hill climbs, Enduros and even dez races. Back in the 80s I worked at a Kaw/Yam shop and the partner owner started racing enduros on an H-D back in the day. Check some of the photos from Jack Pine, unreal shots of guys on hardtails slogging through the forest and mud.  All good!! 

• Like 1

for example 1947..... sidecar rigs included!!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, robertaccio said:

Zubb, I also can imagine that they really don't have many real offroad employees on the marketing payroll. 

I don't know about that.  I know lots of people who have a Harley in the garage right next to their dirt bikes.  Sure, there are diehard "HD only" types out there but I know people who are like that with their KTM's, BMW's, etc.    I would like to believe that if you're in the motorcycle industry you are interested in more than one segment of the market. 

Maybe I'm wrong.  Ask my wife, she would know for sure...

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, tntmo said:

I don't know about that.  I know lots of people who have a Harley in the garage right next to their dirt bikes.  Sure, there are diehard "HD only" types out there but I know people who are like that with their KTM's, BMW's, etc.    I would like to believe that if you're in the motorcycle industry you are interested in more than one segment of the market. 

Maybe I'm wrong.  Ask my wife, she would know for sure...

There is a Ducati (wife's bike), a BMW, and a KTM in our Garage - Would not mind a Ural, Husky, Honda, Suzuki, Triumph, [enter everything else] as well. lol. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Zubb said:

Ducati just made a massive leap forward in the ADV world (heavy enduro) with the new Multi

V4 looks amazing. Just need to win the lottery so I can have all the bikes. 

quick reply I was referring to the motor company's marketing division folks not us consumers. But of course I have no data to support my opinion.

BTW, that whole "lower the bike when it comes to a stop" thing . .  . well that scares the crap out of me. Can you imagine picking your way through ledges, ruts and babyheads, then needing to put a foot down and meanwhile the bike is changing height?  Hopefully you can turn that sh*t off!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, robertaccio said:

quick reply I was referring to the motor company's marketing division folks not us consumers. But of course I have no data to support my opinion.

I know who you were referring to.  In my reply I stated that the people working in the industry are hopefully as into different aspects of motorcycling as the people who they are marketing them to. 

I also have no data to support my opinion!  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Zubb said:

BTW, that whole "lower the bike when it comes to a stop" thing . .  . well that scares the crap out of me. Can you imagine picking your way through ledges, ruts and babyheads, then needing to put a foot down and meanwhile the bike is changing height?  Hopefully you can turn that sh*t off!

But if BMW had it, you would likely be singing it's praises!  🤣🤣

47 minutes ago, tntmo said:

But if BMW had it, you would likely be singing it's praises!  🤣🤣

They kinda do have it . . . but you gotta stop the bike and switch the setting from 2 up w luggage, to single rider.  She settles right down.  😉  Different application though.

• Like 1

Well we don’t really know how this one works yet, so it’s probably best not to worry about it until we do.  😀

• Like 1

Well, I finally watched that whole video EVERYTHING IS A ROAD... well holy smokes, folks, my old gorpro 5 sessions 3m'd to the headlight surround on my 690 can't keep up with that super crisp blow your socks off footage clarity, that was a pretty damn awesome video. Reading the responses above I'd say I agree with everyone's points, I want that bike to do well, nobody wants to see HD crash and burn it's as American as Baseball and apple pie. Harley went too long without pivoting successfully, they did try some things over the years that didn't pan out, but kept breathing in part thanks to their fiercely loyal fans, and riders-to-be, that grew up watching their hero's peel away on a hogs, knowing they would buy one when they could.

I agree they have never made an 'adventure bike' in the specific segment of the textbook adv bikes, BUT, I also agree that it's kind of the Harley mentality that they didn't need to do all that crap because 'were adventurous enough' - that machismo is part of what brings folks to the brand, take it or leave it. The 2000's have been rough in many ways on companies, glad HD is still around, and Now joining us in the 21st century with really promicing electric bikes, and a new adventure bike that out-specs and out-prices brands that have rested comfortably on their dynamic suspensioned adventure thrones for too long. In case you missed it, this is a really good thing, and before I get attacked, I own a BMW/Duc/KTM and I love them. BUT... I'm excited, BEKUZZ... This will force the current status quo of "we will just add another 50cc's next year, and.... a tft and call it a whole new bike" form of innovation... to go beyond. Ducati's new V4 shakes things up a bit as well because 4cyl, not because more hp. I'm excited for the new HD, if I was in the market for a new large adv it would definitely be on the short list to go try out - but I'll never say never, who knows I might end up with a Pan America one day, I would for damn sure love to ride one :)

• Like 2