Sign in to follow this  
Uncle Champ

Aluminum Burnishing

Quick question, I am redoing my old pontoon boat, new seats , carpet, etc.

An old boy stopped by the little warehouse I rented and said you need a burnishing wheel, so I called my Snap-on guy, he didn't know where to get em, went to the parts store, no info.

Anybody have the hot tip on buffing up old aluminum pontoons, not super shiny just less rough.

Thank You,

Uncle C.

Never use your elbow when you can go to Harbor Freight and buy a power tool for it.  Then you can use your elbow on the power tool on the alumineeum.

Seems I used Flitz once in the past and it did a good job of it.  You might want to check the U-tube on that though.

• Like 1

do you want to burnish or polish ?

If you want the matt look just a bunch of red scotch brite pads and WD40 will do the job in pretty short order. if you use a power tool it is easy to gouge the finish if you go to hard/fast.

When you truly burnish a soft metal you are creating a harder surface.
Most people don't mean this when they say burnish so help us out what are you asking?

Which is easier to do a matt vs polished surface, or do you really want to burnish the surface for wear hardening?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7JhjTQevow

just use as you described the scotch bright type, do not use metal wheel types. (Reason metal wheel types leave micro splinters into the alloy causing galvanic corrosion issues)

• Like 1

Wd 40 and a green scotchbrite.   Works magic on aluminum   If it’s really bad people use mag wheel cleaner

here is a thread on it.  

https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1355446-eagle-one-mag-wheel-cleaner/

all my MX bikes I have owned, I use the WD40 with scotchbrite   Just spray in on the aluminum and scotchbrite and scrub   It literally takes a few seconds to see results   It will leave a gray wet film, just wipe it off or spray it down and you are done