cmbthumper

2007 KTM 525 EXC

42 minutes ago, cmbthumper said:

^^^ Thanks on the angle tip. Good catch. I had pop leave it rough as I was planning on using one of the old bolts as I got new ones and put some lapping compound on it to match the bolt.

You will need to remove a fair amount of material if you close bring it over can take care of it in 5 minutes

2 hours ago, DSM8 said:

Or pm jaja pretty sure he would have the tool as well and is in ramona

Thanks for the offer and info on JaJA.

More curious than anything but what is this "Tool" you speak of?

It is a counter sink bit, but there are different angles which they can be purchased at I have an assortment and mostly work on EU bikes so I am pretty confident I have the right one. I just cant bother to check on my 525 cause it would require picking up a tool and I am feeling lazy today...

😂

• Haha 1

I'd 100% consider using a button head capscrew INSTEAD of the OEM countersunk bolt. The countersunk bolt has the advantage of not protruding, but since that segment has a reputation for cracking, I'd leave it as is and use the buttonhead.

BTW: They do crack, but I've never seen one fail. My RFS bike had a crack for a long time and many (many) mishaps.

If you look closely what you will see is a square tube with an AL slug inside of it that the bolt passes thru.

The tube always crack but the slug takes the brunt of the force.