Jump to content
cmbthumper

2007 KTM 525 EXC

Recommended Posts

Not a "build" per se just a clean up and small upgrades.

Picked this up to have a little fun with or at least I hope. Dirt bikes are suppose to get dirty as that is the whole point but this poor girl needed a acid dip. I could see through the grime so decided to give it a shot.

On the immediate list to do:

1. Wash with that pesky soap stuff. I spent all last weekend scrubbing, pulling the subframe, skidplate etc etc. The exhaust header was too much so will pull that and put it on scuffing pad wheel. 90% as clean as it can be and will tackle the goo in the airbox.

2. Kickstarter seals is gonzo so will pull the cover and refaced that.

3. 06' EXC under fender and Sicass taillight. Rear TS were ripped off and hate the elephant rear end light thing on it. Flush rear LED's outback, stock fronts for now. Sicass switch for the lights and a 09' KTM SM on/off start to get rid of the two separate start and kill. Will throw in cyclops led in the front light I have lying around.

4. Pull and clean the carb, check jetting, see if it has a JD kit (doubt it) and put some new fuel and breather hoses on it.

5. Check valve clearance

6. Has the MXC tank on now but don't need the range so will throw the stock tank (came with it) and a new pet ok on it.

7. Lots more but my fingers hurt already.

IMG_0551.JPG.4004854096e61116141452dc2f57f6cc.JPG

image.thumb.jpeg.7353056bbaa3539e7b2f314517d005ac.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2021 at 11:30 AM, Zubb said:

funniest looking dirt bike I ever saw . . . . .

Oops. Loaded the pic of my other purchase. Corrected

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bullet proof machine that rides like a sofa, baseline it like you said and it should serve you well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, robertaccio said:

bullet proof machine that rides like a sofa, baseline it like you said and it should serve you well.

Thanks for the comment and as a lazy rider it should suit me perfectly. Now, if i could just locate one of those unubtanium HT Oil Coolers. 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

90% clean and making lists of items to address

Subframe pulled and the mounting points are being welded up as they had stress cracks on the top ones by the seat

Pulled the header and cleaned off the years of caked on dirt. Was going to hi-temp paint it but having Cocktails with a buddy i pulled a favor and i am ceramic coating it in titanium color.

Checked on fitment for my Take Off 12' KTM 500 exhaust. All good and now have a spark arrester. The PO took off the S&P shaker already.

Have all the parts for the rebuild/upgrade and will start assembling next weekend. 

 

 1599400560_2012500EXC-20210214_082831.thumb.jpg.436a0f51850349e6d451617c87ff57f4.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drill/tap subframe to relocate the ground strap from the battery- try the backside of the crosspiece, tucked away from damage from the seat. Use existing tapped hole to run additional #12 or #10 ground wire from subframe to starter mounting bolt.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having that fan will help out alot when crawling around at slow speeds.

Meyers make a set of aftermarket radiators for the bike (have them on mine) and they are bombproof.
If you go to the small tank might want to look into something to protect rads in a tipover cause stock ones are bendy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2021 at 2:04 PM, cmbthumper said:

Not a "build" per se just a clean up and small upgrades.

Picked this up to have a little fun with or at least I hope. Dirt bikes are suppose to get dirty as that is the whole point but this poor girl needed a acid dip. I could see through the grime so decided to give it a shot.

On the immediate list to do:

1. Wash with that pesky soap stuff. I spent all last weekend scrubbing, pulling the subframe, skidplate etc etc. The exhaust header was too much so will pull that and put it on scuffing pad wheel. 90% as clean as it can be and will tackle the goo in the airbox.

2. Kickstarter seals is gonzo so will pull the cover and refaced that.

3. 06' EXC under fender and Sicass taillight. Rear TS were ripped off and hate the elephant rear end light thing on it. Flush rear LED's outback, stock fronts for now. Sicass switch for the lights and a 09' KTM SM on/off start to get rid of the two separate start and kill. Will throw in cyclops led in the front light I have lying around.

4. Pull and clean the carb, check jetting, see if it has a JD kit (doubt it) and put some new fuel and breather hoses on it.

5. Check valve clearance

6. Has the MXC tank on now but don't need the range so will throw the stock tank (came with it) and a new pet ok on it.

7. Lots more but my fingers hurt already.

IMG_0551.JPG.4004854096e61116141452dc2f57f6cc.JPG

image.thumb.jpeg.7353056bbaa3539e7b2f314517d005ac.jpeg

I think I have the 550 Four badge here and maybe some more Honda stuff.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

Drill/tap subframe to relocate the ground strap from the battery- try the backside of the crosspiece, tucked away from damage from the seat. Use existing tapped hole to run additional #12 or #10 ground wire from subframe to starter mounting bolt.

Thanks for the tip. I had the famous grounding issue on my 19' KTM 500 and did exactly as you wrote and they magically went away so will be doing the same on this one.

6 hours ago, DSM8 said:

Having that fan will help out alot when crawling around at slow speeds.

Meyers make a set of aftermarket radiators for the bike (have them on mine) and they are bombproof.
If you go to the small tank might want to look into something to protect rads in a tipover cause stock ones are bendy

After my initial research I am glad it has a fan for sure. Even without a fan it is still cooler than an HD.

Thanks for the tip. I did order a set of the a Unibiker rad guard for the stock tank as the MXC was the Rad guard before.

Agree to n the Myers radiators. Have a set for my KX500. Pricy but Cooling jewelry. Haven't gotten that far for the need but glad they make them for this bike.

5 hours ago, Mr.JAJA said:

I think I have the 550 Four badge here and maybe some more Honda stuff.

 

 

 

3 hours ago, Covered in Dust said:

I have a complete 550 same color parts bike. Let me know anything you need or I’ll sell you the whole bike very cheap.

 

CiD

JaJa and CiD,

Awesome stuff on my mistake of what picture for this bike. I just got the 550 a few weeks ago. Always liked the 550/750 and this was to good to pass up. Low mileage and only issue/ repair was the stock tank. Has the typical sun baked paint on top but no dents and still is very presentable. Normal reseal but the lower front corner had to be repaired from a crack so it has a 20ft paint touch up and of course the chrome strip is no Bueno. Look forward to the weather warming up so much can go get a piece of pie at Mom's in Julian.

I truly appreciate the offer but I honestly have no idea what else the 550 might need for NOS or parts. Dislike putting repop stuff on and if a part can be saved I'll spend the $$ to restore it. I do know that it has 3 keys which sucks but at least it has keys for the Ign, steering lock and seat. 

Pill PM you guys for more info on your 550 items.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice find on the 550. I have 4, 500/550’s and one 750. I had a 72 500 my senior year of high school and it was one of my all time favorite bikes. 
 

CiD

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

orange Honda!!!! Orange Kato!!! That is really nice CB!! Your KTM is awesome too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, robertaccio said:

orange Honda!!!! Orange Kato!!! That is really nice CB!! Your KTM is awesome too

Ha Ha! It was actually my first color choice and thanks for the comment. For being a 74' it was and will be well cared for.

Thanks on the KTM. Slowly coming along. 

BTW Orange is my favorite color. My DD since 03' to 17'. I started working from home in 17' and put 2300 miles since then and 146k on the clock now.

IMG_4417.thumb.jpg.826de83536f1a6e0a7369876f1665e84.jpg

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got my subframe, Exhaust shield and skid plate welded up. Subframe on each of the top mounting holes had a horizontal stress crack on the outside. Exhaust shield mounting tab was split from a gorilla tightening down the bolt. Noticed the left wing on the skid plate started to crack so had my welder throw a few beads on it. Will powder coat them clear this weekend.

20210223_183137.thumb.jpg.ebcebff21d0fd4c01ab9fe6d621366d5.jpg

20210223_183113.thumb.jpg.ea55869786b1454632d3f94b06234dc5.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey CB, I also have an 07, and know that I need to address a couple cracks exactly where you did. I do camp off of my bike, and that extra weight has me worried at times.  That fix/weld looks well done.  If possible, can you PM or reply who did that work, and if they are open to more work?  Thanks. Mac 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know age and vibe/stress cycles play their part, but without any scientific data, I believe over torque of fasteners has some failure mode play coming into these cracks in subframe mounts. Lately we've been seeing the Husky plastic ones cracking in the same area near the fasteners, proper torque is paramount to preventing stress points. FYI 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, MacDuncan said:

Hey CB, I also have an 07, and know that I need to address a couple cracks exactly where you did. I do camp off of my bike, and that extra weight has me worried at times.  That fix/weld looks well done.  If possible, can you PM or reply who did that work, and if they are open to more work?  Thanks. Mac 

Someday I do hope to bikehike with mine. Off grid camping or hiking keeps the peace if you get me.

I will thank my personal mechanic, welder, best friend and mentor aka my Dad. He can weld the living snot out of anything except for Alum as it has s new for him. This was his 2nd try and lots and lots of cuss words were used to complete it. He said next time I had something that needed to be Alum welded...he'll pay for it.

Not sure of any welders in El Cajon but with the amount of Race Cars/trucks/hotrod shops one can be found. I can't weld but and compentant welder that does it for a living day in day out should be a quick low $$ fix. I would mock up a horizontal support for more weigh carrying capacity and add any gussets before takeoff nag it to a welder. I just don't have the time and experience with this bike to know what the subframe needs if anything at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, robertaccio said:

I know age and vibe/stress cycles play their part, but without any scientific data, I believe over torque of fasteners has some failure mode play coming into these cracks in subframe mounts. Lately we've been seeing the Husky plastic ones cracking in the same area near the fasteners, proper torque is paramount to preventing stress points. FYI 

100% agree. Don't be a monkey tightening stuff down and if there is a TQ spec use it since it is there for a reason.

I love to see people loctite bolts. Loctite is designed as just that and not a glue. No need to "Put the lotion on the skin" and drown the bolt.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am set up for tig welding AL and offer the service to SDAR members, cost.

Donation to the website, you decide what amount based on the amount of work done.

I am located in Escondido

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cmbthumper said:

Got my subframe, Exhaust shield and skid plate welded up. Subframe on each of the top mounting holes had a horizontal stress crack on the outside. Exhaust shield mounting tab was split from a gorilla tightening down the bolt. Noticed the left wing on the skid plate started to crack so had my welder throw a few beads on it. Will powder coat them clear this weekend.

20210223_183137.thumb.jpg.ebcebff21d0fd4c01ab9fe6d621366d5.jpg

 

You will want to check that taper on the top hole it doesn't look like it's the right angle for the bolt that is used in the subframe.
If wrong it will not sit flush and actually have a potential to crack it again very quickly (more force over a smaller area)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DSM8 said:

You will want to check that taper on the top hole it doesn't look like it's the right angle for the bolt that is used in the subframe.
If wrong it will not sit flush and actually have a potential to crack it again very quickly (more force over a smaller area)

matched countersink degree angle is critical as mentioned. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^ Thanks on the angle tip. Good catch. I had pop leave it rough as I was planning on using one of the old bolts as I got new ones and put some lapping compound on it to match the bolt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×