dirt dame

Why it's best to run DOT tires

For decades now, DS bike riders have discussed which is best, or why should it matter whether a tire is DOT approved or not, as long as the tire performs well in dirt, and satisfactory on the street.  I came across a discussion on Facebook about this, and it was sort of interesting.  Some of the people were suggesting that if you are involved in an accident on the street, or anywhere that DOT approve tires are required (like ANza Borrego State Park, for instance), and you don't have them, any insurance claim that you make could end up being invalid.  And knowing how much insurance companies would like to find loopholes and avoid paying up, I wouldn't doubt it.  So if you are running non DOT tires on your DS bike, you might want to reconsider, especially since the most current generation of DOT tires has plentiful brands and models, compounds and tread patterns to chose from, and a lot of those work very well.

• Like 6

In Enduro Racing, only DOT/EU spec tire allowed. Some must have a  special design tread pattern to protect the environment like closer blocks, instead of the wide open blocks for MX.

I’ve been running DOT / Golden Tyre on all my bikes. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Mr.JAJA said:

In Enduro Racing, only DOT/EU spec tire allowed. Some must have a  special design tread pattern to protect the environment like closer blocks, instead of the wide open blocks for MX.

FIM Enduro homologated tires are all DOT, the familiar eco tire pattern both old (like older Michelin/Pirelli/Metzelers and the copycat Shinko and GT types) Ive been using the new type Michelin Enduro Mediums FYI on all my bikes. 13mm is the knob height FIM requirement.

• Like 3

PS all the top tier world guys are required to use these tires for enduro comp. And you will see all the extreme guys use these tires as well. US riders don't for some reason....I guess bigger knobs= bigger ego......hahahahahaaa 

• Like 1

The Anza Borrego area is composed of 90% loose sand. Non DOT Soft / Intermediate rated tires ("wide open blocks") ultimately translates into rider safety due to the motorcycle's best traction capabilities.

I agree if a DS rider slides out on the asphalt into the path of an oncoming vehicle (most likely the rider's fault) that the inspecting Highway Patrol person will note whether or not the DS rider's tires are DOT approved thus the insurance companies may in fact not to back their insured rider. So by all means choose a DOT tire to keep you safe with the law and the insurance companies.

For me I select the best tire for the riding conditions I am currently riding, and this keeps me the safest on the dirt. I ride 90% dirt 10% slab. 

5 hours ago, SoCalMule said:

The Anza Borrego area is composed of 90% loose sand. Non DOT Soft / Intermediate rated tires ("wide open blocks") ultimately translates into rider safety due to the motorcycle's best traction capabilities.

For me I select the best tire for the riding conditions I am currently riding, and this keeps me the safest on the dirt. I ride 90% dirt 10% slab. 

Sorry, I beg to differ.

I've ridden all over Anza Borrego on my 950 and Ducati 900 Elefant with a TKC-80 front and an 80/20 street/dirt tire on the rear and it works just fine.

My preferred choice is  always a TKC-80 front and rear (or similar knobby type tire), but it's doable on a street oriented rear tire also.

When I had a DR350 and KTM640, DOT knobby tires like the D606 Dunlop worked just fine everywhere I rode...mountains, desert, singletrack,  etc.

-Good point Dame, that is easy to overlook, thanks for pointing it out. That DOT rating is comforting to have. It's unfortunate that it comes with a price increase.

-I've had great luck with the DOT Metzler MC360 mid soft and mid hard tires available locally at 8ball. It's a tough tire w/ ego not eco knobs at a good price point.

mc_360_mid_soft_main.thumb.png.25f8b33bf6e38faa2ee4a3aba08595bf.png

-Robert, yeah! I was kinda shocked when I realized all those images of riders shredding Dakar dunage are on mini knobs😯 made me want to try and ride dunes on the metz... It worked and I had a blast but all the locals are telling me a paddle is the 💩

Seems that with most setups on ds bikes it comes down to the ride at hand. If I was planning on riding lots of highway legal areas I'd def prefer a DOT. If I was riding mostly sand I'd want big ass knobs... Next volunteer at $45 😬 excited mule😉

716fYw67plL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.9dd734c90a05ed947684398427f15ccd.jpg

• Like 2

Ive hole shot Tecate HS 50+ class on my FIM 140/80-18 Pirelli Scorp Enduro tire in the deep sand wash start in the Nehi wash (450 4T). And I have ridden in the D37 zone with me on MX tires and ride buddy on same bike with FIM tires. FIM tires did better in deep sand steep hills......the MX tires dug/dig trenches the big fat balloon 140-80-18s  sit up on top of the sand and spread the bike weight load, they act like those old school balloon tires for sand. Just a note. Your choice may vary. I am still considered a freak among my crew for using FIM tires , but I am also a better speed racer than most of my crew. I have been a fan of world enduro since the 80s, up until recently the Euro teams smoked our fastest guys on FIM ECO tires due to riding technique. My particular style of riding and bike tune fits the FIM tire choice I use. Also lots of folks constantly swap tires so consistantcy goes out the window, thats another reason I use FIM tires, almost 100% the same feel every time even among the brands, but now the bar is higher with the newer Michelin Enduro Medium line up 

• Like 2

I’ve ridden Glamis a lot on a paddle since I was a kid. 
Most fun I’ve had though is a Golden Tire GT333  (DOT)with Tubliss and 2 lbs air on my 500. 
Out run my buddies on there 450 MX bikes with paddles up the big dunes. Ability to slide the rear while going around a bowl WFO in 5th and 6th is a hoot. 

GT333 is my go to on my 300 and 500. 

• Like 1

German enduro in the late 70th. Me in the blue jacket. Before the New Tire rule.

Udo MSC Sprockhovel1.jpg

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Mr.JAJA said:

German enduro in the late 70th. Me in the blue jacket. Before the New Tire rule.

Udo MSC Sprockhovel1.jpg

That's the definition of cross rutted!! dang that is deep!!!

17 hours ago, 97xr400r said:

-I've had great luck with the DOT Metzler MC360 mid soft and mid hard tires available locally at 8ball. It's a tough tire w/ ego not eco knobs at a good price point.

mc_360_mid_soft_main.thumb.png.25f8b33bf6e38faa2ee4a3aba08595bf.png

Any comparison to the DOT Dunlop D606 or Pirelli Parker DT rears?

1 hour ago, robertaccio said:

That's the definition of cross rutted!! dang that is deep!!!

Not only deep, also wet, rain and slippery. But we hat in one run, groove to the handle bar. (Moor) Still had fun.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

Any comparison to the DOT Dunlop D606 or Pirelli Parker DT rears?

Hummm, dimensionally the metzler's have larger gaps compared to the 606, definitely more aggressive tread pattern. Other than that though, it's been a while since I've run a 606 so it's hard for me to compare them...

All three are round made of rubber and grippy off the road? Pfaff 🥴 🤦

As Mimi points out, seems that the DOT selection is mint these days... Maybe to good?...

Just picked up new Golden Tyres for my 300 2 smoke at C&D Cycle today. Steve is well stocked now. They were hard to find for awhile. 
Anxious to try new GT333 Gummy. It’s DOT but very soft - wouldn’t last long on pavement. 

581EBEBD-BCC2-4DD5-8E57-178E404CD92F.jpeg

2CA87292-3308-4CBC-833E-08701D7C1D08.jpeg

7259C2E1-27A3-4DC0-A4CC-392F8B3D2BDD.jpeg

• Like 2

Nice yeah I heard about the 333 gummy looks good, liked the 333 on 450 for all around

Ktmrad, you don’t count! Your such a damn good rider on those beasts you could run crotch rocket tires and still stay up, I’ve ridden with you. I remember laying that big ass Africa down at speed and that scared the ---- out of me. 

I remember riding with several guys from the club a few years back and we got stopped by ranger and some tickets were written, I also remember him looking at pipes and tires for dot and USF’s approval

On 2/11/2021 at 5:15 PM, Mr.JAJA said:

Udo MSC Sprockhovel1.jpg

Dang Udo that looks like A tough track.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CVRick said:

Dang Udo that looks like A tough track.

If you are young, you don't care. Today I see that from  a different perspective.