shutterrev

Nice Saturday Ride - Lost Valley & Red Mtn.

We met in the Dunkin Ramona parking lot, all assembled, we were a 1200GSA, XR650L, 690 Enduro R, and a 1090 Adventure R. 

We left Dunkin, and took the OJH way to get to the Chairs, spooned a few drops of gas, and then hit the 79 to head out toward Lost Valley. Lost valley has been made much easier this year, I think they have graded it most of the way through, it still has fun and technical spots if you are moving but it's not the guaranteed pic of friend dropping bike it once was. So for that Wade tacked on Red mountain at the end. 

After we exited the lost valley we hit Anza to top off gas, and attempted Dairy queen but you couldn't go in, and the drive through was so slow it wasn't worth it. Heart broken we could have that DQ we were chatting about over bluetooth we settled for beef jerky, and a delightful egg salad sandwich from the gas station. 

From there Wade led us to this 'Red Mountain' I had never heard of or been to, and it turns out to be a really fun trail out to another forest service lookout tower. It's similar to High Point Truck trail but I think they both have their own charm, Red Mountain is softer in many corners than High Point but also less rocky/rutty than some of the spots along high point can be, both are a great time. 

It was a really fun ride, and we all got home way too late and caught flak from the wives as these things go.

Upload limit here is lol, so I'll link the Facebook post with pictures: 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/120740679209779/permalink/336637397620105/

Short youtube clip from the ride: 

https://youtu.be/fU7Rzp2Bu9k

147509644_10159445624169119_8529762139599631887_o.thumb.jpg.35118f589a6fd9be525b0a8984052b93.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the RR. Lost Valley and the Cooper Cienega up to the water tower were graded last year.

I haven’t done Red Mtn Lookout, that’s new to me thanks for sharing. Was there any snow looking at Thomas Mtn?

• Like 1

@Goofy Footer Yeah I've been through lost valley a few times in the last few months and it has seemed more predictable as of late. I have not been to Thomas Mtn, but it looked like High Point probably would have had snow up top as it's a couple thousand feet higher than I think Red Mtn was. Red Mtn was mostly dry, there were a couple gooey corners but didn't see snow there, and it is a good ride (that was my first time on Red Mtn).

4 hours ago, Bub_Hannah said:

Would like to run these trails....  where are they on the map?

Northeastern SD County from Warner Springs to Anza in Riverside Cty

I’m happy to organize a group ride there sometime. 

They are nice dualsport trails

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

Northeastern SD County from Warner Springs to Anza in Riverside Cty

I’m happy to organize a group ride there sometime. 

They are nice dualsport trails

Count me in!     Though I'm more on a mid-size ADV bike.   ...but i'm good for more than just groomed dirt roads.

• Like 1

I also am interested.  I have both a dual sport and a mid size adv. well I think it’s classified as a midsize.  It’s a ktm 790 and have not taken it off-road yet so I have no idea how I will be on it. I can get around on my dualsport like the average guy I guess?  
but I am itching the try the 790 out

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, shutterrev said:

I'm happy to give dirt tours as well if folks want to hit the trails around 👍

Well I want to ride tomorrow.  I am open to where ever I just do not know my ability on this heavy bike. 

• Like 1

@Pokey151 this weekends tough for me double whammy with Valentines & wife’s b-day. But if I do have any lead time before taking a few hours on the KTM I’ll post. 

• Like 1