Pokey151

Decisions and looking for input

5 hours ago, Ken S said:

Congrats. If it doesn’t make you smile it’s the wrong bike. 
It think you’re going to be smiling a lot. 
Hit me up for a ride. 

Thank you and I definitely will. I have lots to learn for these bikes.  Do you air down for dirt?  Seems like a lot of weight to do that.  This is still tubeless and from what I read running tubes is that way to go for aggressive off-road 

• Like 1

I air down on my 950 to about 24psi front, 22psi rear in the dirt.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pokey151 said:

Thank you and I definitely will. I have lots to learn for these bikes.  Do you air down for dirt?  Seems like a lot of weight to do that.  This is still tubeless and from what I read running tubes is that way to go for aggressive off-road 

WOOHOO!  Congratulations. She's a beauty.

Re: tubes . . . I suggest you just ride it as designed.  The bike is plenty 'dirty' as it sits.  If you end up riding this in such a way that it actually matters, . . . you should probably be on your 450 @ 9psi.  From the pic it looks like you have the Motoz RallZ on the front.  This is my favorite tire (on my 1200 gsa).  They have all the traction a guy could ever need for local trail riding, to bottomless sand, to a week in Baja.  If you need 'more' . . . . well I haven't met that guy yet.  I run them 30lbs front and back, full time and they do great at 100+ highways to "Banner Grade twistys" leaned over to the edge, to light, medium and bottomless sand.  I used to run them at 28psi but didn't find an advantage off-road.  I've run them at mfg recommended 35 psi for loaded road trips, but find the benefit doesn't offset the fiddle factor of changing air pressure during the rides.  At 30lbs I'm not too worried about bending a front rim and I certainly don't "need" more traction.  They are noisy as hell but I couldn't care less about that.

Enjoy!!

• Like 1

Hello Pokey151, That's a nice 790! I also have a 2019 790R with about 9k miles on it now. Couple of things, your bike still has the cat, so that's not a full exhaust. That's the Akra slip on which is a nice upgrade as it cost close to $1000. For the clutch that gold clutch lever down on the case is a Camel Adv clutch lever. They are a common add-on and makes the clutch take up smoother and not so grabby. It's hard to tell for sure but from the switch gear it looks like you also have the Cruise Control option too, which is awesome for hwy droning. Overall, that's a very good looking bike and a nice find. Over at Advrider.com there is a whole section dedicated to the 790/890 Adv. Tons of great information there: https://advrider.com/f/forums/parallel-world-790-890.106/

Also, one of the forum members there put together an FAQ on the bike with answers to pretty much all your questions and full downloads of the factory maintenance manual:https://790adventure.net/

There is a recall on the rear brake line for the 19's and I can't tell from your photo's if it has been done or not. Best to check with your dealer to make sure  that has been done.

Happy riding, Ed

• Like 3

Well I got to ride it today.  Did a short 311 mi ride.   This has to be one of my favorite bikes I have ever owned wow.  I have owned probably over 40 bikes in my life and I never spoke those words before.  So I took the time to look at what was done to this and what I see is beside the full exhaust it has the Rottweiler  rally intake and the Xplore pro forks but I cannot read the shock so I do not know if it’s stock?  also it has the rally software (which I pretty much rode in the entire time). I also really like the quick shifter. Plus the rally pegs are fantastic 

it also has the BRP triple clap for a Scott’s but the Scott’s was not on the bike.  This no question needs that stabilizer installed. At higher speeds it really shakes it head a bit.  The oem one is also missing so I cannot fail the bike.  I did not do much offroad, I just stopped off at the 4x4 park at northern ocotillo. I just rode mellow through the sand woops so I cannot really say I got a feel for it’s capabilities yet.  
man I am really happy I came across this bike

• Like 3

Wow, great looking machine.  I like the mid sized ADV machines, you can feel more comfortable getting in more remote locations than the liter+ bikes and you can cover more distance than the under 500cc bikes.  

Looking forward to seeing your adventures on it.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2021 at 8:17 AM, Ptkatoomer said:

Ok, here's what we expect you to do :

I got tired just watching that

There's a very strong smell of burning clutch coming off that video.

On 2/6/2021 at 10:55 AM, Uncle Champ said:

450L for sale yet? Congrats on the new bike, awful purdy though.

Yes it is!  as of now lol