Goofy Footer

Lower Profile Rear Tire

Recently purchased a Shiko 505 Cheater 120/100x18 rear and it’s massive. It’s what the shop had at the time. It seems taller / more diameter than the Maxxis Desert IT 120/100x18 that it replaced.

I understand the math behind tire sizing but have also seen quite a range in “120” sized tires.

This site shows the math for strict sizing:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=120-80r18-120-100r18

*** Looking for recommendations for a desert / baja tire in the 120 range that is more Low Profile. ***

Pirelli MT21 comes in 120/80x18 and 120/90x18

Dunlop 606 comes in 120/90x18

Kenda Parker DT comes in 120/100x18 but motosport.com lists the tire at OD 26.40” which is closer to 120/90

A lower profile tire Could lead to more pinch flats (I have never had a rear pinch flat however) and a lower profile tire could curve the tire width/tread pattern to fit the rim width. Tire is going on a 450.

Any ideas / thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks

Run it 3 times on my 300. But if it's used like the other tires were assuming for distance and tough, shinko is ok and last long for a single track gunmyish tire but I wouldn't use to replace a desert or dual sport tire.

I have a second wheel setup for my desert riding with a parker dt on it. They wear great for price with dot and hooks up with softer knobs than desert it

1 hour ago, Bp619 said:

Run it 3 times on my 300. But if it's used like the other tires were assuming for distance and tough, shinko is ok and last long for a single track gunmyish tire but I wouldn't use to replace a desert or dual sport tire.

I have a second wheel setup for my desert riding with a parker dt on it. They wear great for price with dot and hooks up with softer knobs than desert it

Great info thanks! How is the height / diameter of the 120/100 shinko to the 120/100 Parker DT? Can you put the wheelsets next to each other to compare?

Kind of a funny question but the Shinko feels big on the back. You run both so you’re the perfect guy to ask

10 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

Great info thanks! How is the height / diameter of the 120/100 shinko to the 120/100 Parker DT? Can you put the wheelsets next to each other to compare?

Kind of a funny question but the Shinko feels big on the back. You run both so you’re the perfect guy to ask

I'll try and get a pic later don't currently have a shinko on that bike have a shinko 525 in 120 I believe on a buddies bike in garage I'll try and snap a pic

I run the Dunlop D606 on my XR and the Shinko 505 on my KTM.  The XR seems to spend more time on the road (actually probably about 50/50) so that tire works well for both surfaces, and I am very happy with the Shinko on the KTM (I have 3 Ocotillo trips on that as well as one Big Bear trip; probably about 400 total miles and it still looks like new).  The Shinko is a fatty but I like how it handles and have had to flats at all (I seem to get them every time I take the Honda in the dirt with the D606's).

On 2/1/2021 at 9:16 AM, simicrintz said:

I run the Dunlop D606 on my XR and the Shinko 505 on my KTM.  The XR seems to spend more time on the road (actually probably about 50/50) so that tire works well for both surfaces, and I am very happy with the Shinko on the KTM (I have 3 Ocotillo trips on that as well as one Big Bear trip; probably about 400 total miles and it still looks like new).  The Shinko is a fatty but I like how it handles and have had to flats at all (I seem to get them every time I take the Honda in the dirt with the D606's).

Surprising to hear of the D606 flats as that is a robust tire. Nails or pinch flats? I’ e never had a rear pinch but have collected many baja nails.

What pressure are you running the XR D606 and KTM Shinko 505?

Always pinch flats, and usually on the front.  I tend to use the front brake a lot and I have heard that may be contributing to it.  I do have rim locks (was not running them for a while) and that seems to have slowed the flats.

I usually run around 12-14 psi in both bikes.  The XR has been used as a double up bike with my wife on mostly road trips (around 200 miles) and I have raised the psi then.  Only 1 pinch flat on the front of the XR on the road; rest were all dirt (probably around six total; bike has about 3,700 miles on it).  No flats on the Shinko's yet, but bike (unfortunately) only has about 300 miles on it so far and I ran the stock tires for about 100 miles in the beginning.

13 hours ago, simicrintz said:

Always pinch flats, and usually on the front.  I tend to use the front brake a lot and I have heard that may be contributing to it.  I do have rim locks (was not running them for a while) and that seems to have slowed the flats.

I usually run around 12-14 psi in both bikes.  The XR has been used as a double up bike with my wife on mostly road trips (around 200 miles) and I have raised the psi then.  Only 1 pinch flat on the front of the XR on the road; rest were all dirt (probably around six total; bike has about 3,700 miles on it).  No flats on the Shinko's yet, but bike (unfortunately) only has about 300 miles on it so far and I ran the stock tires for about 100 miles in the beginning.

I've had rim locks on all dirtbikes - WR has 1 front and 2 rear and my old DRZe had 1 front and 1 rear. I can only think of 3 front pinch flats two in Death Valley and one recently at Rockhouse Canyon in Anza Borrego.  All 3 were likely caused by me attempting to ride too fast thru rocky areas. I've never had a rear pinch.

Time to get some more miles on that Shinko!

@robertaccio do you think a 120/80 x 18 rear is going to be adversely prone to pinch flats vs a standard 120/90 x 18 DOT dualsport tire or popular 120/100 x 18 dirt tire?

Flats.jpg

46 minutes ago, Goofy Footer said:

Time to get some more miles on that Shinko!

I work too much (have three jobs) and just can't seem to get away as much as I would like to.   House goes on the market in spring and I sell a portion of one business in June and move to Utah; with any luck I'll be able to do 300 miles a week once there!

• Like 1

Shinkos run tall and skinny for their sizing.  I like my Parker DT.

19 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

@robertaccio do you think a 120/80 x 18 rear is going to be adversely prone to pinch flats vs a standard 120/90 x 18 DOT dualsport tire or popular 120/100 x 18 dirt tire?

Flats.jpg

logic would say lower profile/aspect ratio would say yes closer to the rim cloer to pinch flats, but other considerations as easy at tire pressure, type of tube and tire construction will also play into that. I'm not checking spec on your tire choice but a heavy carcass offroad focus tire with HD or SHD tube with a good solid pressure you should be golden. I dont skimp and I like premium brand tires, but I do use others as well. As for tubes when used them it was Michelin Air Stop Tubes HD, I had used the SHD tubes as well but they really are stupid heavy at 4mm think, you could almost use them as a tire!!

1 minute ago, robertaccio said:

logic would say lower profile/aspect ratio would say yes closer to the rim cloer to pinch flats, but other considerations as easy at tire pressure, type of tube and tire construction will also play into that. I'm not checking spec on your tire choice but a heavy carcass offroad focus tire with HD or SHD tube with a good solid pressure you should be golden. I dont skimp and I like premium brand tires, but I do use others as well. As for tubes when used them it was Michelin Air Stop Tubes HD, I had used the SHD tubes as well but they really are stupid heavy at 4mm think, you could almost use them as a tire!!

Or if this is 90% offroad rig Mousses will solve any flat issues.....

Just an old trick that I have used for years and it works well;

1. Take your old tube, cut out the valve stem, split the tube through the middle.

2. Stuff your new HD tube inside the old split tube and add a spot of air (just a little).

3. Stuff the "tube-in-a-tube" into your new 120/90-18 Dunlop Geomax MX 33 SI tire (lasts 30-40hrs. and is the best for lots of sand, rocks without chunking , and a wee bit of slab thrown in). 

4. Pull the valve stem through the rim, now add the nut.

5. Install the tire to the rim.

6. Add 12 psi air. 

7. Enjoy years of riding with out ever getting a pinch flat.

8. Same thing for the front, just use the Maxxis SI fatty tire 90/100-21.

*Long Nails might alter your results drastically.    🦗 

7 hours ago, dirt dame said:

Shinkos run tall and skinny for their sizing.  I like my Parker DT.

Parker DT on which bike and what size? 120/100x18 ?

5 hours ago, robertaccio said:

I’ve never had a rear pinch flat. Last 3 tires prior to this Shinko 505 were two 120/100x18 Maxxis Desert IT tires and one 120/90x18 Pirelli MT21.

Basically always run a solid rear tire and at least a Kenda Tuff Tube. 

So you prefer those Michelin Air Stop tubes > Bridgestone HD / UHD ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoCalMule said:

Just an old trick that I have used for years and it works well;

1. Take your old tube, cut out the valve stem, split the tube through the middle.

2. Stuff your new HD tube inside the old split tube and add a spot of air (just a little).

3. Stuff the "tube-in-a-tube" into your new 120/90-18 Dunlop Geomax MX 33 SI tire (lasts 30-40hrs. and is the best for lots of sand, rocks without chunking , and a wee bit of slab thrown in). 

4. Pull the valve stem through the rim, now add the nut.

5. Install the tire to the rim.

6. Add 12 psi air. 

7. Enjoy years of riding with out ever getting a pinch flat.

8. Same thing for the front, just use the Maxxis SI fatty tire 90/100-21.

*Long Nails might alter your results drastically.    🦗 

That’s an interesting idea. I think people do that with mousses that wear down too.

18 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

I have been using the IRC heavy duty tubes.  They seem to be as tough as the Michelins, and cost a bit less.

As for the tire size. I run the 120/100 on my FE501.

17 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

I’ve never had a rear pinch flat. Last 3 tires prior to this Shinko 505 were two 120/100x18 Maxxis Desert IT tires and one 120/90x18 Pirelli MT21.

Basically always run a solid rear tire and at least a Kenda Tuff Tube. 

Bridgestone is also a premium brand , I always used Michelin, but any premium brand HD/ UHD will do. I don't go with much trust in many other of the discount brands, that's what I meant.

On 2/5/2021 at 7:02 AM, dirt dame said:

I have been using the IRC heavy duty tubes.  They seem to be as tough as the Michelins, and cost a bit less.

As for the tire size. I run the 120/100 on my FE501.

I may try the Parker DT 120/100x18 next. Does it seem like a normally sized 120/100? I was surprised to see how much the Shinko dwarfs a 120/90 D606

The Shinko 505 feels a bit overpowering in terms of handling to my uneducated rider seat-o-meter. It kind of changed my turn / lean in for some turns?

I put a couple desert rides on the 505 and it worked well enough. I had a blast riding with friends around Ocotillo Wells.  The riding is more important than the equipment anyways. We’ll see how it goes on some more rides.

On 2/5/2021 at 3:01 PM, robertaccio said:

Bridgestone is also a premium brand , I always used Michelin, but any premium brand HD/ UHD will do. I don't go with much trust in many other of the discount brands, that's what I meant.

Makes sense. Michelin Air Stop tubes also appear cheaper than the Bridgestones. I have a HD or UHD Michelin Air Stop in my front tire now.

5 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

I may try the Parker DT 120/100x18 next. Does it seem like a normally sized 120/100? I was surprised to see how much the Shinko dwarfs a 120/90 D606

The Shinko 505 feels a bit overpowering in terms of handling to my uneducated rider seat-o-meter. It kind of changed my turn / lean in for some turns?

The FE is sort of sensitive about its tires.  The skinnier the tire, the worse the bike seems to handle, especially in sand and loose rocks.  The Parker DT is a nice wide tire, and not overly tall for its width.  It's also directional, and I like it better for all around terrain in the "soft" direction.

On 2/1/2021 at 8:50 AM, Bp619 said:

I'll try and get a pic later don't currently have a shinko on that bike have a shinko 525 in 120 I believe on a buddies bike in garage I'll try and snap a pic

Any chance you were able to see the comparison btw the Shinko vs Parker Desert DT?

13 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

Any chance you were able to see the comparison btw the Shinko vs Parker Desert DT?

Totally forgot I'll get it today

Shinko 525 120. 5"x 25.5 tall

Kenda parker dt 120 5"x 26.5tall

Kenda definitely looks alot bigger and maybe wider too but just looks