Huntndogs

Keep an eye out pls

Oh this is rough. Flash floods and cold tonight. Anymore information?   I am dropping my truck off 1st thing in the morning. If they give me a rental I can make it out there in. I will go help look.  

area last spotted?  How far into the ride was he (get an idea of fuel range) etc.  

thanks

Don’t have much more. Sheriff SAR was out Monday and Today there should be two helicopters out weather permitting. I am told this man is an excellent rider who knows the area very well. He is well known on social media dualsport pages. My truck is also down unfortunately. Last seen Sunday morning around 10am at S3 and the 78. That Beta should have right around 100 mile range.

What I heard from one of his friends is that his drive chain snapped, he spent one night out and found a cabin or small house that he spent the next night in.

• Like 3

Great to hear he's okay and has a great story to tell! Thanks for the update.

Would love to hear the final story on this. Medical attention?

This definitely makes me consider my choices of solo riding areas.

I do use A spot on tracking....But still.

On 1/27/2021 at 3:03 PM, Mr.JAJA said:

Its all about "ADVENTURE"

Adventure yes.jpg

Let's add an additional box or two and arrow shall we?

[Did my spouse and family suffer from crippling fear and anxiety for days?]---------------------->Not a good adventure for them, was it?

[Did I suck up resources and put others in harms way unnecessarily?] -------------------> Yes. But it was my "adventure".

This is no longer the 20th century.

I feel very strongly that if I'm going to risk my family's emotional and physical well-being under the guise of "adventure", I have an obligation to mitigate the possible suffering as much as possible. For the price of a few beers per month, I can use a satellite tracking device that will eliminate the search for me or my body. Eliminate the time, risk and expense of a search party, eliminate the unnecessary suck of resources that could easily be spent on a more worthy endeavor.

Why would I ignore that capability?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

that's why I bought the IR mini.  Yes, it was for me.  But 10X more so for my wife's peace of mind.

1. "they" can find me.
  2.  I can have a text conversation with my wife, friends, and rescuers without cell service.

Last summer on the WABDR I rode off and left my tank bag with over $1,000 worth of stuff in it on the trail. Fortunately, the Mini was strapped to the tank bag.  I realized it 10 miles later and was able to walk within 3' of exactly where the last 'ping' was using the app on my phone.

Now it lives in its own little pocket on my Carlsbad jacket.  Always on me.

• Like 2

I use my inreach on long distance solo ride. But everyone need to learn it before it's too late. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mr.JAJA said:

I use my inreach on long distance solo ride. But everyone need to learn it before it's too late. 

I send an email about every year to those with whom I ride regularly. It's copied to several trusted folks, including my family members and is cc, (not blind cc) so that everyone can contact everyone else easily. The email has a photo/description of me, my bike, the plate number, and includes the links to both my SPOT map and my InReach, from which messages can be sent directly to me.

I tell the recipients (and they might actually do it!) to save that email.

In the event of an event, a simple reply-all to that email will activate the entire network. Or, if appropriate, one of my trusted buddies can contact my family members directly.

Some of my friends (who trust me, the list is short) have sent me their SPOT or InReach links which I add to their contacts in my phone/computers. Should a situation arise, I can have that map available easily.

Everyone Knows,,,there is more to the story.

PMB,   Glad to be Trusted.  By the way,  What is that InReach address again?   🚶‍♂️

15 hours ago, Bagstr said:

PMB,   Glad to be Trusted. 

Trust is earned.

You have.

So far.

www.whereisbowers.com is no secret.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information