Myself and a friend are going to ride from my place in Ocotillo to Yuma and do the California Back Country discovery Route then head east and pick up the Nevada BDR sections 3,2 and 1 southbound and intercept the Arizona peace trail near Oatman Arizona and ride it down to Yuma. We will be riding medium size bikes KTM 690 and a Husqvarna 640 I Think and leaving Ocotillo March 13th.  If anyone is interested in mixing in on either just the CABDR or the whole ride let me know. We are both I would say above average riders but will not be setting a fast pace as it’s all about the scenery and will be camping most nights but may stay at a hotel once in a while.

image.png

• Like 3

Wow! How many days due you anticipate the whole loop would take?

1 hour ago, Dress4Less said:

Wow! How many days due you anticipate the whole loop would take?

I haven’t really figured it out yet but probably a week North and a week south and if someone would just want to do the CABDR they could have someone pick em up or slab it back.  On my 690 that might hurt a little bit.

• Like 1

Did the first few legs of CABDR a few weeks ago. Fun ride! Cerro Gordo was more then snowed in when I went. 

I wonder if it will be cleared up by March?

46 minutes ago, bboyle9 said:

Did the first few legs of CABDR a few weeks ago. Fun ride! Cerro Gordo was more then snowed in when I went. 

I wonder if it will be cleared up by March?

I’m hoping so but I will keep an eye on the snow levels and if I have too ,push into April. Both of us going so far are retired so it can be done. BBoyle9, how was the sand in section 1 before this recent rain. I know the sand out here in Ocotillo was getting worse by the day after months of no rain

• Like 1

Sand was deep but its that arroyo style sand rather than the super powdery dune sand, but if you're used to riding in the dez nothing crazy. I was on a 450L so maybe I was cheating. 

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing updates from your trip.  My son and I planned to do this loop last year but covid got in the way.  Hoping maybe in the fall or next spring. Safe travels. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Goofy Footer said:

What GPS app is that in the first post?

It’s just a screenshot from and android phone running Guru maps

Congrats royboyz, sounds like a nice plan. I would do the same!  I didn't know you had a 690, and it isn't in your bike list, but sounds like the best choice. I think you have a big tank for your 525.... but I bet your 690 can get up and go.  I may take a few days off and try to find you somewhere on that route, maybe the first 100 miles and peel back by way of Bradshaw, or by way of general pattons cabin that we didn't get to last time we camped off the bikes, or maybe head up to Panamint Springs to support them and loop that part of the BDR with you (or behind you  :) ).   Are you planning to use Ham radios, and I hope you may try a GPS unit so you don't wander down some river like you may have a couple years ago following a paper map, but that can be fun too. Thanks for sharing your vision, as even knowing you are going, and I don't get away, it will lighten up the this old explorers soul to know someone is out whooping it up!  Cheers.   

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MacDuncan said:

Congrats royboyz, sounds like a nice plan. I would do the same!  I didn't know you had a 690, and it isn't in your bike list, but sounds like the best choice. I think you have a big tank for your 525.... but I bet your 690 can get up and go.  I may take a few days off and try to find you somewhere on that route, maybe the first 100 miles and peel back by way of Bradshaw, or by way of general pattons cabin that we didn't get to last time we camped off the bikes, or maybe head up to Panamint Springs to support them and loop that part of the BDR with you (or behind you  :) ).   Are you planning to use Ham radios, and I hope you may try a GPS unit so you don't wander down some river like you may have a couple years ago following a paper map, but that can be fun too. Thanks for sharing your vision, as even knowing you are going, and I don't get away, it will lighten up the this old explorers soul to know someone is out whooping it up!  Cheers.   

Thanks MacDuncan, I still have that new Utah BDR map to get to you. I sold the Vstrom and got the 690 a few weeks ago. We won’t be using radios as of this time I’m the only one that has one and your welcome to ride with us on any part or all. I’m using phones for gps

• Like 2

Great idea, thanks for posting. Will have to see how the weather affects timing, I'd love to join for some of this. Congrats on the new bike👍 

Recently made a couple runs out to Picacho area looking for a fun way to connect the southern portion of cabdr to Holtville. I can send you some track recordings if interested.

I just stopped in at Walters camp, it's quite the outpost. Before 4pm 91 is available along with beer, water and Spam... What more could you need😎

Screenshot_20210124-101251.png

Screenshot_20210124-101341.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 97xr400r said:

Great idea, thanks for posting. Will have to see how the weather affects timing, I'd love to join for some of this. Congrats on the new bike👍 

Recently made a couple runs out to Picacho area looking for a fun way to connect the southern portion of cabdr to Holtville. I can send you some track recordings if interested.

I just stopped in at Walters camp, it's quite the outpost. Before 4pm 91 is available along with beer, water and Spam... What more could you need😎

Screenshot_20210124-101251.png

Screenshot_20210124-101341.png

Thanks 97xr400 Iwas trying not to ride the freeway to Yuma but could just do Evan Hughes hiway or some of the other bits I know

Just re-rode this area this weekend, and confirmed that the deep sand.... is in fact, deep gravel. So take that for what its worth, all the roads are in great shape and tons of fun in the first part of leg one of the BDR. 

47 minutes ago, bboyle9 said:

Just re-rode this area this weekend, and confirmed that the deep sand.... is in fact, deep gravel. So take that for what its worth, all the roads are in great shape and tons of fun in the first part of leg one of the BDR. 

Thanks Bboyle9 for the info

Hey RoyBoyz, Are you on schedule?  I have a few buds who are trying to coordinate a riding choice of either KOFA or Picacho, or Bradshaw, or Jawbone or Panamint around that time..... and I have no idea where the needle will land, but I personally hope to find a teakettle at a garage sale soon  :)  to deliver.... even if solo, just wondering if you have any daily goals for departure days and Titus Canyon day, or just blowing with the wind..........   and  so I might toss a couple extra brews in the cooler for you and your bud in case we cross paths. 

• Like 1

RoyBoyz, ride your retirement ride safe, there will be many more to come. Remember: " you are on a RIDE, not in a RACE"

34 minutes ago, MacDuncan said:

Hey RoyBoyz, Are you on schedule?  I have a few buds who are trying to coordinate a riding choice of either KOFA or Picacho, or Bradshaw, or Jawbone or Panamint around that time..... and I have no idea where the needle will land, but I personally hope to find a teakettle at a garage sale soon  :)  to deliver.... even if solo, just wondering if you have any daily goals for departure days and Titus Canyon day, or just blowing with the wind..........   and  so I might toss a couple extra brews in the cooler for you and your bud in case we cross paths. 

MacDuncan, yes we’re on schedule for Saturday, March 13 about 9 AM And didn’t try to figure out a day by day schedule but probably arrive in Titus in 3 to 4 days so maybe Monday or Tuesday but like you said it will depend on the wind and if we stop at every sight which will be a most likely. We do have a 3rd rider going with us (SDAR Alphajack) and will be riding 650s plus or mid size bikes I guess you would say and the more the merrier and of course I definitely know you are a good rider

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mr.JAJA said:

RoyBoyz, ride your retirement ride safe, there will be many more to come. Remember: " you are on a RIDE, not in a RACE"

You got that right Mr JAJA and it’s still a blast to haul ass once in a while but probably not with 55 lbs of crap on the back of the bike and thank you

• Like 1

Great to hear, and I will let you know so you can let me know if I can help you with supplies, like firewood and beverage.  If all goes well, sat/sun at jawbone, and that is close to Panamint, so Hoping for Titus the monday or tues. so I may try to cross paths at the crater or teakettle, or at least watch you all fly by  :) 

• Like 1

Hope you guys are out having a great ride! 

Obviously I wasn't able to make it but thanks again for the open invite.

If you have a Spot tracker, send me the link and I will keep an eye on you. Ride save.