tvscum

Pio Pico fatalities

CITY NEWS SERVICE

SD Collision Fatalities, 1st Ld
   Motorcyclist, Bicyclist Killed in Collision at Campground

EAST COUNTY (CNS) - A motorcyclist and a bicyclist were killed today
when they collided at an RV resort and campground near Jamul, authorities said.
   The collision happened just before 9:30 a.m. at the Pio Pico RV Resort
and Campground at 14615 Otay Lakes Rd., according to Cal Fire San Diego
spokesman Thomas Shoots.
   Firefighters performed CPR on both adults, but about 10 minutes later
the victims were declared dead, Shoots said.
   The cause of the accident was under investigation, he said. The gender
of the crash victims was not released.

• Sad 1

INCIDENT DATE/TIME: 1-10-21 9:32 am LOCATION: 14615 Otay Lakes Rd CITY: Jamul DETAILS: A large group of cyclists was eastbound on Otay Lakes Rd east of the Pio Pico RV Campground. They reportedly were riding in a single file, when a male motorcyclist came up from the rear and struck the last rider, also a male. The collision sent them both flying and both were pronounce deceased at the scene. The motorcyclist was with a small group that was separated when the crash occurred. Otay Lakes Rd is closed and will be for several hours between Pio Pico and Hwy 94. This road and Hwy 94 to the east is known for the number of fatal crashes dealing with motorcyclists and is heavily used on weekends by bicyclists and motorcyclists.

• Sad 1

horrible and tragic......another reason I don't ride either on the street. 

14 hours ago, Huntndogs said:

INCIDENT DATE/TIME: 1-10-21 9:32 am LOCATION: 14615 Otay Lakes Rd CITY: Jamul DETAILS: A large group of cyclists was eastbound on Otay Lakes Rd east of the Pio Pico RV Campground. They reportedly were riding in a single file, when a male motorcyclist came up from the rear and struck the last rider, also a male. The collision sent them both flying and both were pronounce deceased at the scene. The motorcyclist was with a small group that was separated when the crash occurred. Otay Lakes Rd is closed and will be for several hours between Pio Pico and Hwy 94. This road and Hwy 94 to the east is known for the number of fatal crashes dealing with motorcyclists and is heavily used on weekends by bicyclists and motorcyclists.

One more reason not to ride on the weekend here around.

looks like Ducati going fast like Ducati's like to do and the old target fixation....

8 minutes ago, robertaccio said:

looks like Ducati going fast like Ducati's like to do and the old target fixation....

Exact what I think. And catching up with the already ahead buddy's.

5 minutes ago, Mr.JAJA said:

Exact what I think. And catching up with the already ahead buddy's.

Definitely some speed involved here, tragic!

Kind of hoping the moto wasn't the last bike in his group so his riding buddies could fill us in on what they saw.

Having spent quite a few years on bicycles, day rides and tours. . . it's not abnormal to see a bike that is riding near the shoulder veer into the lane for any number of reasons, from trash to broken glass to potholes to pavement edges.  I always give bikes as wide a berth as possible.

I mountain and road biked all over the state of Colorado and never felt in danger.  Thought I'd continue here in east county.  Only took me a few rides to pretty much park the bike and buy a much safer motorcycle.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zubb said:

Kind of hoping the moto wasn't the last bike in his group so his riding buddies could fill us in on what they saw.

Having spent quite a few years on bicycles, day rides and tours. . . it's not abnormal to see a bike that is riding near the shoulder veer into the lane for any number of reasons, from trash to broken glass to potholes to pavement edges.  I always give bikes as wide a berth as possible.

I mountain and road biked all over the state of Colorado and never felt in danger.  Thought I'd continue here in east county.  Only took me a few rides to pretty much park the bike and buy a much safer motorcycle.

I ride the Mountain bike a couple times to Santa Ysabel from Ramona. Its dangers. even over the old Julian Road. 

I ride Old Julian all the time on my BMW and Harley and personally I think you have to be a little crazy to ride a bike on that road given it mostly has no shoulder so any error is a formula for complete disaster.  Plus the way the super bikers ride that road it’s enough to scare the hell out of anyone!

• Like 1

Slow Down !!   Sad because I ride both and enjoy both sports. 

• Like 1