Sign in to follow this  
97xr400r

Phone based offline navigation

Just wanted to share this video I came across recently. It goes over a phone based GPS navigation setup. 

I've been using locust map on Android phones for quite a few years now, It works great. Navigating the touchscreen with bulky gloves on can be a pain though. My jaw dropped when this guy started talking about the wireless phone navigation button setup. That is really really cool!🤯

Anyways, hope everyone's having a great New year.

• Like 3

If I didn't have the BMW with the wonder wheel, I'd be all over that.

That is UBER impressive! Thanks for sharing...

Thanks Jon, That is a very cool tool. Also like "Drive Mode Dashboard" app, looks like it would pretty helpful. I hadn't heard about any of these.

• Like 1

Digital roadbook use and creation video.

AhhumSeems like this would be a really Great way to have a socially distanced club event, uhumhum

• Like 1

So I ended up getting that Bluetooth controller for use with locus map. The controller is backordered but the wait was worth it. This thing is a step change for wandering around with california trail maps overlaid on satellite imagery, amazing really. Running on a $50 tab.

Also have been messing around with the DMD2 app, it's a very functional app for speed and trip. Turns out the guy developing this software also created the AJP dash. He is very active in addressing issues and is open to ideas. Dmd2 is great and rapidly improving. Garmin=🦕🦖

297684497_Screenshot_20210314-1047132.thumb.png.9b1f41868f640049908b90da11d89765.png

Screenshot_20210314-110704.thumb.png.a5033398a16373463c5304f830552b7d.png

How long was the wait for the controller? What tablet? Is it ruggedized? Any issues with it in heat / rain? Thanks, buddy.

Is anyone interested to order one of this switch sets? I thing to get more than 3 together, and try for discount and save on shipping.

Waited a few weeks for the controller, Thork was proactive and informative on the back order information.

Found a used Samsung tab A on eBay. Tablet is not ruggedized but I bought a decent case for it. At that price point if I get a couple seasons out of it I'll be happy. Ruggedized devices are available but I'm trying to be thrifty and software starts getting old and clunky after a couple years anyways. 

Plenty of ruggedized options though, here's a nice example...

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08HRWYJLZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_C3AA9SY3R7A8H6G9RGAC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Has anybody created any road book logs with the aforementioned software? I might give it a try and was wondering if anyone else has nerded out on this stuff already. Could be a fun way to change up the riding style. 

1720308840_Screenshot_20220708-2218322.thumb.png.d36f0f48b85d1991130eb6ffaf4ccf1d.png

Bump, because......  I often do all the leading for my riding group, so I told a few buds that I would be buying them a GPSMAP 78 this holiday....., and charging them for it. :)

They politely nodded in agreement.  By doing so, when I make tracks for the group ride, and install it on their new Garmin from my basecamp, they can lead for awhile on our 8-10 hour day rides, and BDR pieces.  That way, they can spend some time watching the devise for turning spots while looking in the mirror to see if all are ok behind, while also communicating that there may be a big rock in the road, or on-coming traffic while navigating the lead.....   and share the responsibility that comes with no dust!

And, for the increased safety issue that they will know where they are in case of a wrong turn or.......... the rare bif - ahem.

However, oh my, dang, there does not seem to be any Garmin GPSMAP 78 available any more, (discontinued?) and the replacement doesn't have too many good reviews, and pricey. (PM if you have one to sell that is sitting on your shelf unused).  If you know of a replacement that works well, please share, or maybe, since this original post is almost 2 years old, have many of you mastered this new set-up (specifically the first video on Jan 5, 21 on this thread! looks super cool) and be willing to offer a workshop for a few others?

I have an iphone, but I can learn something new if a shift to android is needed.....also, if you use this set-up of a samsung android as kindly shared by. @97xr400r, do you also have to pay for a service like verizon too, or add it to your existing phone account (if for satellite use only?).    

Thanks, Mac

No need for service.  I found a few burner phones on my run a while back, reset them and installed a few GPS apps.  I need some learning but they work.

Timely topic.

I've been using Garmin products for a long time, but I have been looking at phone based stuff for a while now.

@DSM8 has been on about the Kyocera rugged phone he uses, so I just bought a refurbished one to give it a try.

You don't need a SIM card to use the other phone functions such as the GPS, camera. etc. Well, we call them phones, but they are just hand held computers with a phone app.

Today is a good day to research mapping apps!

Happy turkey day!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tntmo said:

No need for service.  I found a few burner phones on my run a while back, reset them and installed a few GPS apps.  I need some learning but they work.

So is this kind of where you’re going with all those phones?

F5EE52DF-F248-4641-B63E-566CB5C5AE07.jpeg.c3a0e1ba1f77a752637127a88fa8882c.jpeg

• Haha 1

If a guy could afford all the mounts, it would be cool to run multiple apps for a few trips and see what he liked / disliked about each one. 

I use a $60 Kyocera, run GAJA pro for $35 / 5 years subscription and download the maps via wifi as needed. I have not found a trail,  not on the map. I am happy to lend it out for a weekend ride to try.

• Like 2

You can also run tue free version GAIA. And there are a few others that work as well but subscribe to one gets you all the features some have a one time fee

Holy Smokes, dizzy from reading the hundreds and hundreds of posts on adv rider.  And as is usually the case, the experts were right here on SDAR.  Well done!

Been using Gaia for a few years now, it’s also nice to be able to easily send track and points to other nearby devices, easily sharing data while on the ride. Also very easy to go in and pre-download maps and imagery of whatever areas you may ride. 

1 hour ago, MacDuncan said:

FYI, 

868662630_ScreenShot2022-11-28at4_58_33AM.thumb.png.109d576cf2ce587f17f20632bb9e922e.png

Where did you find that? I can't find that particular discount anywhere.

• Like 1

This an interesting thread.  I would love to be able to follow a line that I drew. I like creating maps . Sometimes I miss a trail in real time and the time and gas required for that mistake causes me to äbort the mission due to low fuel or lack of day light. 

It may be time for me to start using a GPS.  Great thread Johnny. 

Edited by 350thumper

I have been using Gaia for a couple years as well and got the Outside+ subscription that includes trailforks for mountain bike trails. They work great and I also have a Garmin Edge cycle computer that automatically downloads any Trailforks routes I save online. Very easy to do.

Lots of great maps on Gaia and you can download to the device for use without signal. I'm considering getting a cheap 2nd cell phone to mount on the DB/DS so I don't have to stop and pull out my cell phone so often though.

• Like 1

+1 for the $50 Ebay Kyocera and GAIA paid. 

Nice thing about GAIA is never used an app so easy to draw lines and importing GPX tracks is plenty easy.