dirt dame

Last trail ride of the year 12/30/20

So....it finally rained again up at McCain Valley.  A celebration of hero dirt was in order, so MCtrails, Huntndogs and I got together for a day of trails on nice wet earth.  So did everybody else though.  It looked like all the people in the staging area all arrived right around the same time that we did, and there were a lot of them, all milling around, getting geared up and warming up their bikes at once.  I was pretty sure that we would never see any of them once we got out a ways, and I was right....for a while, anyway.  Our route took us winding through the chaparral and frozen puddles, until we were far away from everybody else.  Onward we went, until we stopped for a moment, not far from a fun little stretch of trail.  We could hear bikes over the next rise, and I knew that they were on that route.  We decided to ride over and go down the trail anyway.  As it turned out, there were 11 riders in that other group, and some of them were riding above their "pay rate".  Just as we reached the rock that they were trying to come up, the leader popped over the top, and a young teenager followed, but managed to pitch the bike right off the rock pile.   It looked like a mob scene.  I decided to squeeze down the right side of the rock, where there were 9 more riders waiting.  They were probably going to be there for a little while, so they graciously leaned their bikes away from the single track in the gully, so that our group could get by them and continue on our way.  A while later, while stopped for a snack break, another 5 riders appeared and chatted with us for a few moments.  I have never seen any other riders out there before, so today's sighting took the cake.  Other than that, it was a peaceful day of traction and muddiness.  I haven't seen MCtrails for quite a while, so it was nice to ride with him again.  I've known him since before SDAR even existed.  It's always a fun ride with him along.  Same for Huntndogs.  Two good trail companions for sure.  33 miles later, we were back at the staging area, now nearly empty of people and vehicles.  It was a great day.

A  couple of these were taken by me, but most of these pictures are courtesy of Huntndogs.

IMG_0153.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=
IMG_0152.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=
134570982_1549481398577576_8989533901968

IMG_0151.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=
134456621_1549481698577546_5163913202693
134399758_1549481235244259_2352235122987
134355014_1549481768577539_3602914148068

• Like 3

Had a great time Mimi and Alan. Here is a little video of the crowd 😃

• Like 2

It was great to be back riding with others.  Good to see and ride with Mimi again and to meet Mike.  Thanks for the ride you two!  Conditions were awesome and it was another epic ride at McCain.

Meeting the big group in the gully was interesting.  Mimi went to the right of the rock and then the leader of the other group popped up over the rock from the other side.  A saw the top of a helmet coming behind him but then it disappeared and I saw the bush behind the rock shaking.  I knew it would not be good for the kid.  He was OK and a couple of the adults extracted his bike from the bush and everyone went on their way.

• Like 3

I even felt bad for a group we caught up to, especially the guy on the fully clapped out CR250 alloy framer..spinning and over throttling and clutch popping.......he was so far over his head....we passed uphill in the rocks, with care and respect.... but really made it look so easy they must have freaked.....