Beezzz

2020 KTM 500 exc tuning

2020 KTM 500 exc tuning:

I would like to soften and smooth out the throttle acceleration during the 0-5 mph speed range for slow speed technical use.  What is the economical way to do this?  Currently there is abrupt power changes in the throttle response.  In the past, I would change the pilot jet on my 2008 ktm 450 exc.

Thanks,

Beezzz

The cheapest way to start taming the power seems to be to gear the bike about 14-50.  It helps with the lunging that the rider experiences with the taller stock gearing.  After that, you will need a fuel management system, like a piggyback style JD Jetting tuner module (not  too expensive) and a Pro Billet end cap for your muffler.  This  is what I have purchased for my FE501, but the end cap hasn't come in yet.  The expensive route would be using the Vortex ignition and a different muffler that is opened up.

cheapest is gearing change however a vortex is by far the best thing you could do.

Or a new throttle tube on the right grip side normally ktm supplies different cams with tubes or replacement tubes. Also keep in mind ur riding a 500 on single track it makes torque

You can adjust the Acell mode on a J D Tuner. I never tried that on mine . Then you can change it back when you come to regular fast trails. Cheep and easy way to go. Gearing also . 

• Like 1

1 question and a 100 answer thread potential. May I suggest, to

1) Optimize the engine performance ie: in common words "uncork" and other terms commonly used. (ECU work or change, exhaust work, induction system work (clean up the path). So basically get the engine in FIM Enduro racing bike mode, quiet but in optimized power mode. Many sources for ECU work or an alternate like Vortex or GET. The foundation base for the entire riding platform begins here in the powerplant and with suspension. Explanation- the injected bikes are very "sharp" in OEM enviro tune, with unfettered/more proper fuel air mixtures the engine will smooth out and actually take on better sound tone, ie: not as raspy.

2) Personally I stick with OEM "race" gearing not the street tall gear they install and adapt to whatever that final drive ratio is. But your final drive is your feel and choice. you can use the online gearing commander to calculate what will work best for you personally, with that compromise between pavement RPM and dirt performance. 

https://www.gearingcommander.com/

3) I never do cheap on my 10K race bred bikes.....these things are the closest vehicles to full on race prepped machines you can buy off the shelf, don't skimp. The old saying spend the cash now and you will have your platform dialed for years of enjoyment. 

4) links (Chris and Jeff are both good resources due to their "local" and personal phone call away technical services). 

https://blaisracingservices.com/2012-2017-ktm-husqvarna-custom-ecu-mapping.html?page=all

https://slavensracing.com/shop/vortex-10-map-ecu-ktm-vortex/

https://slavensracing.com/shop/get-rx1-evo-ecu-ktm/

not a big fan but many folks are, so here's another option

https://www.bestdualsportbikes.com/exhaust-upgrades-2017-20-exc-fe

All that said it's basically a general Hot Rodding set up of the corked up machine to allow it to perform optimally as it was engineered to do, not in it's "dumbed" down form.

Moderator can PM me if condoning this operation goes against any rules. 

Blais racing also sells a clutch weight you can bolt on that would help. I did that on my older 500 and it helped smooth the power out.

ALL GREAT IDEAS.  Thanks. I didn't think of a clutch plate or throttle cam.  Increasing the idle helped the engine smooth out.

• Like 1

FWW (or in this set up clutch assy weight) is not a bad way to go. As stated above.

A Recluse clutch works amazing on that bike as well. 
PM me and I’ll send you a parts list to quickly turn it into a $18000 bike of your dreams. 
Don’t forget to visit Suspension101. George turns that bike into a full on Desert Race winner. Enduro ready competitor. Or just about the best all around play bike for us normal folks. 
 Unfortunately these  bikes are not Ready to Race as advertised. 

20 minutes ago, Ken S said:

Unfortunately these bikes are not Ready to Race as advertised. 

That is the statement of the year!

That said, once I did the smog delete (shhhh!), JD tuner, took out the reed valve, opened up the exhaust and swapped out the tires it was a completely different bike.  Then after I got it back from having George put a set of his Gobblers in the forks it transformed once again.  From a bike I kind of liked to one that I now love!

Great ideas. Thanks.  The lunging (abrupt, rough motor response off idle) stopped with the idle increase above normal carburated bike  idle rates.