Sign in to follow this  
Bub_Hannah

Curious....

I see Mesa Truck trail goes up to the 76....basically from starting off Pamo Road near Ramona.     However, at the 76, there looks to be what appears as a private gate "Rey River Ranch".       G-maps says mesa truck trail is unrestricted....at least until you try to get the last 500 feet to the 76 thru that gate.  

What is the deal with this?    No go? 

3 hours ago, KTMrad said:

You can't get thru to 76.

Thanks.   Where is the turn around point for this trail?

The only reason I asked about this is because I do not want to accidentally end up on private property.   Was hoping someone knew the point at which this trail turns private.

5 hours ago, amgems said:

At the gate

Very funny.    What I'm asking is coming in from the South...where the forest road/ truck trail starts off of Pamo road.       What I already know...you can't pass thru the gate at the 76.   I'm asking at what point does the forest route/truck trail turn private.    Seems like a pretty simple request.

Capture.thumb.JPG.808036afb5a4918228ee7ebae6675900.JPG

Are you only relying on Google Earth ? That does not have enough resolution to show locked gates, signs,  etc 

Why don't you just go ride it and find out, that's what exploring and adventure riding is about. And then let us know..

We hit Pamo Road from Forest Road/Santa Ysabel TT a few months ago and could only go north a short way before hitting gates

17 hours ago, Bub_Hannah said:

Very funny.    What I'm asking is coming in from the South...where the forest road/ truck trail starts off of Pamo road.       What I already know...you can't pass thru the gate at the 76.   I'm asking at what point does the forest route/truck trail turn private.    Seems like a pretty simple request.

Capture.thumb.JPG.808036afb5a4918228ee7ebae6675900.JPG

I wasn't trying to be funny. From what i have seen, generally, when there is a locked gate on forest service land, the land behind it is private. The forest service may have easement rights to fight fires etc. But the land owner doesn't want the general public on that road. They're are exceptions. Lots of private land here in AZ where access is permitted, as long as you don't scare the cows and close the gate. If you ride it and don't see any signs your probably fine. It's hard for private land owners to completely block the entire portion of road that runs thru thier land, so they will gate one end of it. 

• Like 1

Actually there are a lot of "green gates" that are locked to keep people out of certain sections of forest land.  Some roads just aren't public anymore.  Case in point...there used to be a green gate road up in Garner Valley. It was always closed, but never locked.  It seemed sort of strange that the north end of the road had a gate and the south end didn't.  It was a very nice ride through that area and I and many of my SDAR friends have taken that route back "in the day", always making sure that we closed the gate behind us...before there was a forest fire up behind there.  So in 2013, the gate was locked, supposedly because of the fire.  I ride up to the gate from time to time, but even as recent as a couple of years ago, the gate was still locked.  Funny thing was that the south end was still open.

Thanks for the info folks.        

Actually, Google maps (sat images) have been very helpful in determining where gates etc are....because you can actually see them.   Is there a better option?

I'm certainly not afraid to explore and have been doing a fair amount.   I typically will look up where I'm going on maps first to get my bearings. .  In this case the map/directions were just not that helpful.

4 hours ago, Bub_Hannah said:

Thanks for the info folks.        

Actually, Google maps (sat images) have been very helpful in determining where gates etc are....because you can actually see them.   Is there a better option?

I'm certainly not afraid to explore and have been doing a fair amount.   I typically will look up where I'm going on maps first to get my bearings. .  In this case the map/directions were just not that helpful.

To answer your question more specifically, there is a forest service gate (easy to get around) and then a private party chain link fence that completely blocks the road at about the half way point between Pamo road and the 76, so that is the turn around point from the Pamo side.

8 hours ago, Oracle said:

To answer your question more specifically, there is a forest service gate (easy to get around) and then a private party chain link fence that completely blocks the road at about the half way point between Pamo road and the 76, so that is the turn around point from the Pamo side.

Thanks.      Is it okay to go past a closed forest gate?   I assume if it's shut, they don't want you in there.

On a side note did some exploring today....found Cedar Creek trail (at the 3 Sisters trailhead) which goes thru to Eagle peak road.  Man...was THAT a fun little trip.

• Like 1

If it is closed, it's ok to go thru. Just be sure to close it again. If the gate is open leave it open. Some forest land is used for grazing and the gates manage that. 

1 hour ago, amgems said:

If it is closed, it's ok to go thru. Just be sure to close it again. If the gate is open leave it open. Some forest land is used for grazing and the gates manage that. 

got it.  Makes sense.  Thanks for sharing that.    I'm learning. 

10 hours ago, Bub_Hannah said:

got it.  Makes sense.  Thanks for sharing that.    I'm learning. 

Jim is talking about the gate at the beginning of Lusardi Truck Trail (the formal name for the trail we are talking about) at Pamo Road. This gate is often closed, but seldom LOCKED. If it is not locked, then you are free to enter. If the gate is closed, make sure you close it. If it's open, leave it open. The other gate that is half way to the 76 is ALWAYS locked. Like I said earlier, it's easy to get around, and not a big concern to do so, but you'll run into the chain link fence maybe 100 yards up the road. So feel free to explore it a bit but you'll just end up turning around and heading back down. This area is my back yard. Let me know if you have any more questions.