numpty

new guy in chula vista

Hey everyone, I'm Dave and I'm 47. I've ridden friend's dirtbikes since I was young but still consider myself a new rider. I've never owned my own. I almost bought a used KTM 450exc right before I got married (11 years ago) and was promised, "Oh yeah, you can still get a dirtbike." Ha! Well, 11 years later she finally "encouraged" me to get one, so I just picked up a 2016 KTM 500exc. I'm still working on getting my street license so I'm stuck to offroad right now, but hope to rectify that soon. I'd love to meet some new folks and do some leisurely trails as I don't heal as quick these days and this thing is quite a lot of bike for me. I'm really enjoying it, but I'm learning my limits...quickly. I am looking to learn how to maintain/work on it as well and figured this might be a good place to learn from some of you knowledgeable folks.

Anyway, hope to meet some of you soon and get some riding/maintenance tips so I can stay safe and have fun.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum.  Soon the weather will cool off, and you will be able to enjoy getting to know your new ride.😎

I forgot I had it there...and I wrote it. My screen name says it all. 🤓

Numpty,

This Set-up Guide has been helpful.   https://slavensracing.com/help/handling-trouble-shooting/

I suggest you set the Rider Sag to 110mm as a starting point and see how the front wheel feels to you.  Slavens out of Colorado Springs has suspension balance  video.

Proper sag settings will help you feel secure in the rough.

Bagstr

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I'll check out that set-up guide too. Thanks bagstr.