ADV Bum

Military plane crashes in Ocotillo

He said he sees the parachute.  I did not see it. I figured it would be in the shot with the plane heading to the ground. I wonder when he ejected to be able to keep the plane headed to a safe area?  Pretty amazing to be out there and see something like that happen.

seen that kind of fire ball with no injury connected and some catastrophic a few times and rode on martin baker GRU-7 with full confidence if required. I have stories. Not fake news

Wow!  They were pretty close too!

That C-130 landing in that field is amazing also.  Wonder how they got that out. 

Now to find the crash site.  Anybody recognize that bathroom or those mountains in the background?

1 hour ago, crfxer said:

That C-130 landing in that field is amazing also.  Wonder how they got that out. 

Now to find the crash site.  Anybody recognize that bathroom or those mountains in the background?

Yep, it's maybe .5 miles due South of where the Terra Del Sol jeep club holds its yearly events, right off the Borrego Salton Sea Way; three miles West of the 86 Hwy. 

Mike, you did not see the parachutes because of the altitude they were at the time of the collision.  Although objects should fall at the same rate regardless of weight, the impact of the wind on a parachute will keep it elevated for a much longer period of time.  It also appeared that the jet was still under power as it came down which may bring it down faster.  You can guarentee the pilot watched the aircraft all the way in hoping/praying it did not land in a populated area.  

I get all that Mike.  The guy filming moved the camera far from the plane and mentioned the parachute coming down.  When seeing the plane coming down I could imagine they would have to wait and eject at the last moment to direct the plane safely, therefore I would of thought you would see the parachute in the same frame as the plane.  All the pilots involved did a great job in minimizing damages and injuries. 

Boy o boy.  That's a 300 plus million dollar accident.  I wonder if Flo can save them some money on insurance ?   Glad nobody got hurt but really wanna know what the heck happened ?????   Should have been a pretty routine exercise.   All things considered that is.

47 minutes ago, hobiee said:

Boy o boy.  That's a 300 plus million dollar accident.  I wonder if Flo can save them some money on insurance ?   Glad nobody got hurt but really wanna know what the heck happened ?????   Should have been a pretty routine exercise.   All things considered that is.

Refueling from a C 1 30 tanker is probably one of the hardest maneuvers in an F 35 pilot attempts. It’s a floating fuel hose that needs to be connected to the receiving plane at a walking speed. If the pilot ends up playing catch-up it’s very easy to move forward at a quicker pace than they can back off from, probably running into the number three and number four engine’s propellers on the C-130. The number one engine on the left-hand wing lost 50% of its prop; that probably happened when they bellied into that field. The fuel pod on the left wing was gone, this draining fuel into that field; that was probably from the belly landing as well. It’s gonna take at least a year before the final report will be released to the general public.

1 hour ago, SoCalMule said:

. It’s a floating fuel hose that needs to be connected to the receiving plane at a walking speed.

Which reminds me of this woman I dated in college. 

13 hours ago, SoCalMule said:

Refueling from a C 1 30 tanker is probably one of the hardest maneuvers in an F 35 pilot attempts. It’s a floating fuel hose that needs to be connected to the receiving plane at a walking speed. If the pilot ends up playing catch-up it’s very easy to move forward at a quicker pace than they can back off from, probably running into the number three and number four engine’s propellers on the C-130. The number one engine on the left-hand wing lost 50% of its prop; that probably happened when they bellied into that field. The fuel pod on the left wing was gone, this draining fuel into that field; that was probably from the belly landing as well. It’s gonna take at least a year before the final report will be released to the general public.

Yep Know all about it.   I just wanna say that the C-130 pilot and crew did A downright amazing job getting that flying fuel tank down safely and honestly in the shape it was in probably in the safest darn place they could.  I would not have wanted to attempt the landing on a runway with the chance of creating a spark of any kind.   Just amazing !    The enviro's will have a field day with the leaking fuel no doubt.    Everything could have gone much worse very easily, glad it worked out the way it did.

PMB and I rode out to the crash site (within a 1/2 mile) a few days ago, and we noticed some very well armed MP's insuring that we would not proceed any further...:bye:

1 hour ago, SoCalMule said:

PMB and I rode out to the crash site (within a 1/2 mile) a few days ago, and we noticed some very well armed MP's insuring that we would not proceed any further...:bye:

Why didn’t you claim to be “sovereign citizens” and pass them by?  

19 minutes ago, tntmo said:

Because we didn’t wanna look like a slice of Swiss cheese!

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, tntmo said:

I considered mentioning I was not under any form of arrest, the land was free, and "I believe I woke up in a Free Country" until I saw the firepower they had thoughtfully stowed yet immediately available.

I then reconsidered and shut my piehole.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

I then reconsidered and shut my piehole.

This is the part that I usually forget, thank you for the reminder!  

On 9/30/2020 at 5:00 PM, crfxer said:

I played golf at Torrey Pines on Monday and got paired with a Marine C-130 pilot from the same squadron. He was part of the team that investigated the incident and said they cut the plane into pieces and hauled it away. Put parts they could salvage back into the supply system and junked the rest I guess. The pilot who landed in the field was this guy’s best bud. He said they know exactly how the accident happened but did not share that information. I have not seen results of the investigation shared publicly yet either.

This guy graduated from the Naval Academy and played on their golf team. Shot 71 on Monday and hardly ever plays. Fun to watch. Also has a masters degree in Aerospace Engineering from Stanford. Impressive dude and nice guy. With all the crap going on in this country it gave me a nice boost of optimism that we are still producing people like this. It’s not all doom and gloom out there!

• Like 1

Been involved with more than a few mishap investigations some minor some deadly, it can even happen that a known cause may never be released. 

1 hour ago, arjayes said:

This guy graduated from the Naval Academy and played on their golf team. Shot 71 on Monday and hardly ever plays. Fun to watch.

71 at Torrey is impressive!