Sign in to follow this  
simicrintz

Electronic Genius' Here

My son dropped off an old golf cart some months ago and I've been putting it back together.  These usually use a mess of lead batteries, which off gas, leak and generally make a mess and require a bunch of attention while giving a short usable life (3-5 years).  With all of that in mind I have decided to go Lithium, and I currently have 2 packs from a 2015 Chevy Volt in the cart (48V, 100 aH, hooked up in parallel).

My question:  I cannot exceed 50.4 amps when charging, and my charger wants to finish charging around 65 amps.  I do have a BMS on each battery and I am told that it will shut the charger off but I would like to find a way to limit the charger and have it shut down on its own without relying on the BMS; is this possible?  The charger folks are reputable but these installations are not common, so I am trying to see if someone much smarter than me might have any suggestions.  I've attached a couple of pics if it might help.

Thanks gang.  I know it is not motorcycle related but since we are from all walks of life and are mostly local I thought I would ask.

GC Batteries 1.jpeg

GC Batteries 2.jpeg

I don’t know, but post more pictures of the cart.

It was a pretty roached out cart when I got it.  I've been working on it slowly (money is one issue, some virus affecting getting parts is another).  Here's a pic of when I got it and how it is sitting in the garage currently.  The top and rest of the cart is sitting under a tarp until I get this %^$* wiring figured out!

Club Car 3.jpeg

Spartan with seat 1.jpeg

• Like 2

I started working on a cart for my buddy back in May.  Finally wrapping it up, same issues.  Yours looks great!  I escaped all the electric issues by having a gas engine.

I remember you working on that, Tom.  I contemplated putting in a gas engine that I have (spare for my 185S) but ended up with the Chevy Volt batteries cuz it seemed easier 😳

With the controller, bigger motor and Lithium I should be able to hit 30 MPH and do wheelies :)

• Like 1

I bet with those batteries it’s way faster than this gas one.  They sure are a money pit!

0AE3ED6C-A088-4962-9CF4-D08C18ED4507.jpeg

E137B005-AB3A-4770-B1D3-515329A782E4.jpeg

That looks awesome, Tom!  

They are a money pit (but what toy isn't?!) and have got extremely popular during the shutdown.  On the golf cart page that I am on the flippers say they used to be able to buy carts coming off lease on the golf course by the dozens, and now they can't seem to find any anywhere (even CL) that are reasonable; just crazy.

I worked on mine a little bit more yesterday and decided to put all the parts/pieces back on (I'll work around it to finish the wiring).  I'm just trying to stay motivated :)

Red Club Car.jpeg

• Like 1